PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions about ATC185S

Beardoh
11-24-2006, 05:43 AM
I just recently picked up a '83 ATC185S and had a few questions I'm hopeing someone can answer form me.

1. Whats the oil capacity and what type should I use. Also, is there an oil filter?

2. What type of spark plug does it take (I think the kid i bought it off of put one he took from his dads lawn mower in it.

3. What are the most common mechanical problems these bikes have (Just so i know what to look out for)?

4. What is the switch on the gas cap for? (It looks like its for the tank vent or something)

thanks in advance

weed
11-24-2006, 07:12 AM
1. awesome and welcome to the boards, you can obtain alot of information here. Its addicting.

1. After you drain your oil, filler up until the oil is 1/2 on this dipstick grid. Some guys will tell you to not use synthetic, I use a good 10w/30. any good brand should be fine. If you do get it running. run it for a little while, drain it, and replace with some new oil <--if the bike has been sitting up for awhile

2. go to any local bike shop and they should have a manual with the spark plug in it for your 185. Do not run your bike until you have the right plug in it....

3. its hard to say without you telling us what its doing wrong. But any new 3 wheeler i get, i do the 3 things first. Drain the oil & gas and replace. Put a brand new spark plug in it. And take the carb apart and clean it and put back on the bike. and start firing away

4. yes, that is a tank vent. and it needs to be open. The open position should be longways with the bike (pointing from front to back). i think.

"all question were answerd by me, working a graveyard, and stupidly delerious, at 510 am. Please use caution"

welcome to the boards

atctim
11-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Oil capacity is 1.43 US Quarts.

team-red-rider
11-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Ngk - Dr8es-l
Or
Ngk Iridium- Dr8eix

Beardoh
11-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I've got some Belray 10W40 in my garage left over from doing an oil change on my buddys CRF450, would that be okay to use? Also, in the future do I need to use the expensive "Motorcycle" oil or can I just use a good automotive oil? Just wondering because I don't want to do any damage to the clutch. thanks

Howdy
11-28-2006, 03:59 PM
I use the same oil in every vehicle I own ( Castrol 10-30 ). I never had a bit of trouble. So you will be fine with the oil you have.
Howdy

trikes4life
11-28-2006, 06:42 PM
if u ever use automotive oil in it u will burn in hell. Make shure it is WET CLUTCH OIL. Destroyed a nice clutch by using sythetic car oil. I flush mine my engine with karosine every oil change, gets rid of any old oil.

Beardoh
12-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info!

darrel632
12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
There is no filter, just a screen down low on the left side center big arsed plug, with a spring and a screen inside. Kind of under and behind/below the shifter.

Howdy
12-14-2006, 06:47 PM
There is no filter, just a screen down low on the left side center big arsed plug, with a spring and a screen inside. Kind of under and behind/below the shifter.

Actually there is a Oil Rotor that works as a Oil filter. I covered this a long time ago in this thread: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=37251&highlight=filter

Howdy

84honda200s
12-14-2006, 06:47 PM
i use 10w30 in the winter and 10w40 the rest of the time. i also use dr8es ngk plugs in my 200s. they are sister bikes and dont have much differances.

bigreddaddy
12-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Well if regular car motor oil will burn up your clutch, what is a good brand 10w30 that is okay to use?

84honda200s
12-14-2006, 07:29 PM
if u ever use automotive oil in it u will burn in hell. Make shure it is WET CLUTCH OIL. Destroyed a nice clutch by using sythetic car oil. I flush mine my engine with karosine every oil change, gets rid of any old oil.

i use regular 10w30 and 10w40 and i had no problems yet. but im not using sythedic oil. it makes sence not to use sythedic oil.

Beardoh
12-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Actually there is a Oil Rotor that works as a Oil filter. I covered this a long time ago in this thread: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=37251&highlight=filter

Howdy

I was going to clean the rotor the other day, but couldn't get the case off that side. I tried hitting it all around with a dead blow hammer but it wouldn't budge. As far as I can tell it may not have ever been removed so I think I'm in for a challenge to get it off. Anyone have any advice on how to make it any easier? thanks

Howdy
12-15-2006, 09:02 AM
I was going to clean the rotor the other day, but couldn't get the case off that side. I tried hitting it all around with a dead blow hammer but it wouldn't budge. As far as I can tell it may not have ever been removed so I think I'm in for a challenge to get it off. Anyone have any advice on how to make it any easier? thanks

On the case there are 2-3 tap points. These are little tabs that stick out from the edge ( about 1/4" ). Normally tapping on these will pop the cover loose.
Howdy

Beardoh
12-15-2006, 02:13 PM
On the case there are 2-3 tap points. These are little tabs that stick out from the edge ( about 1/4" ). Normally tapping on these will pop the cover loose.
Howdy

Great, I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the help!