PDA

View Full Version : Help me indentify this 250R Gas tank

BIGKAHUNA
04-13-2003, 09:11 PM
I just got a gas tank for my 85/86 ATC 250R project but I dont think its your run of the mill stock tank. Its have virtually no sun-fading and has a sticker in the top corner of the right radiator scoop that reads:

^WARNING
THIS GAS TANK IS PART OF AN INCREASED
STEERING ANGLE KIT AND IS DESIGNED FOR
USE ONLY IN SANCTIONED COMPETITION EVENTS
ON A CLOSED RACING COURSE
THIS KIT ALLOWS AN INCREASED STEERING ANGLE
ADVERSE STEERING CHARACTERISTICS IN OTHER
THAN CLOSED CIRCUIT RACING THAT CAN CAUSE
A LOSS OF CONTROL AND SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY
OR DEATH.

The tank appears to be "scooped" in front of the cap and the radiator shrouds look longer and taller than stock shrouds. The shrouds have the Honda wings sticker with "250R" below them and "HRC" above them. I am guessing this tank is part of some sort of factory racing kit offered???? Anyway its in great shape and other than maybe a decreased fuel capacity I cant think of a reason not to use it...has anyone seen one of these? Does it hold as much fuel as a stocker??? Is it a rare piece? Thanks to all who reply and I'll put up pics as soon as I can borrow a digital cam.

3tigers
04-13-2003, 09:20 PM
what you have is a short track tank.it was part of a kit honda offered.it comes with hardware to mount it.it takes a lot of work to get it to work without the rest of the kit.do you want to sell it?

Trikeaholic
04-13-2003, 09:21 PM
that is the flat track/ice racing kit. pretty rare, too. a Honda accessory.

BIGKAHUNA
04-13-2003, 09:26 PM
what you have is a short track tank.it was part of a kit honda offered.it comes with hardware to mount it.it takes a lot of work to get it to work without the rest of the kit.do you want to sell it?

I am not ready come off of it just yet...I just got it a couple hours ago. I am gonna do some research on it first. Is the fuel capacity the same as a stock tank? Its in excellent shape and so are the shrouds so I really would like to use it if I can..but who knows...I'll keep yall posted.

3tigers
04-13-2003, 09:32 PM
it holds less gas than a stock tank.it basically sets the tank up like a kawasaki tecate.it also sets the radiators back like one inch on an angle.it looks sweet.

BIGKAHUNA
04-13-2003, 09:35 PM
What other components will I need to make this tank work? I am assuming brackets of some sort?

3tigers
04-13-2003, 09:51 PM
the kit came with new lower triple clamps.brackets to set the top of the radiatots back 1 inch ,some nuts and bolts and some other braces for the shrouds to bolt to.my friend has one,im going to copy his kit so i can put a tank i got on mine.

BIGKAHUNA
04-13-2003, 11:10 PM
the kit came with new lower triple clamps.brackets to set the top of the radiatots back 1 inch ,some nuts and bolts and some other braces for the shrouds to bolt to.my friend has one,im going to copy his kit so i can put a tank i got on mine.

When you get it done could you post some pics of the brackets etc???I may end up doing the samething.

3tigers
04-14-2003, 08:44 AM
ill try but i have no idea when ill get around to it.its going to be awhile before i can get to it.

BIGKAHUNA
04-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Although I dont have the rubber mounting bushings, I set the tank in place and lined up the mounting holes...with the tank in place the shrouds line up with the lower mounting hole on the radiator bracket and it looks like I could fabricate a bracket to move the upper radiator back and inch or so and the radiators would align with the "fins" on the interior of the shroud and the set up would work. Does the whole radiator need to be moved back or does the upper part just lay back? I am gonna go to the place I got the tank cause the guy has a couple sets of radiators with brackets on em and he may have some the original brackets. Thanks for all the help and I'll keep yall posted.

BIGKAHUNA
04-14-2003, 10:11 PM
BUMP!