PDA

View Full Version : Question about honda 4 stroke trike motors

random-strike
11-22-2006, 11:48 PM
I ride my trikes HARD, my 200x i rode everyday. after about a month of this (with frequent oil changes) it started to smoke... it didnt seem like it lost any power...

now my 350x, which probably a year ago the motor was built, i ride it everyday, often hard... frequent oil changes.... now its starting to smoke. and it doesnt seem down on any power...

are the cylinder heads on these motors know to wear valve stem seals fast/easily?

how often do ya'll rebuild your 350x/200x motors?

We're talking 5/7 days a week an hour or more riding. often everyday

is this normal?

weed
11-23-2006, 12:42 AM
im jealous, i wish i had that much time to ride

burnoutboy
11-23-2006, 01:42 AM
Sounds to me like you are too hard on those motors mate. I would probabally do the whole topend on the both of them.

Erics350x
11-23-2006, 10:00 AM
do they smoke all they time or just a few minutes after start-up? i found that when you rebuild hondas you need the piston clearance alot closer that recommended by honda or within 6 months to a year they start smoking.

Erics350x
11-23-2006, 10:04 AM
another thing is everyone needs to keep in mind these bikes are air cooled so you need to keep the heads clean and when your doing alot of slow speed riding you need to go for a high speed cool down every so often. also dont let em idle for long periods of time.

Jason T
11-23-2006, 10:50 AM
We've owned our 1983 200x since about 1993 and the only thing we have done to the engine is change the clutch, service and adjust the valves. It used to be used regularly, but less so now. Over the years it has put up with A LOT of abuse and is still going well. It still goes out for a good thrashing every now and then and doesn't smoke noticeably.
I would say that something must have been done incorrectly during your engine rebuilds for them to fail so quickly:wondering

Jason

SWIGIN
11-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I would say that something must have been done incorrectly during your engine rebuilds for them to fail so quickly:wondering

Jason[/QUOTEi agree

random-strike
11-23-2006, 05:15 PM
do they smoke all they time or just a few minutes after start-up? i found that when you rebuild hondas you need the piston clearance alot closer that recommended by honda or within 6 months to a year they start smoking.

they smoke at idle when cold.

maybe a tiny bit warmed up idle...

maybe a tiny bit cruising...

but if i gas it it'll leave a cloud

it doesn't smell like oil though... it smells like nasty exhaust. my 350x smokes worse if i mess with the mixture screw.

right now i have it at 2 1/2 turns out on the stock carb. it has a 140 jet...
2.5 turns out is stock right??
is turning in rich or lean?

random-strike
11-23-2006, 08:10 PM
as much as i love my 350x... i have to say its the most unreliable peice of *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* ive ever had.

if i don't start it in the first two kicks, it won't start until its bone cold. im getting sick and tired of pushing it home. it wont even start getting pull started.

the lifters are getting a bit noisy... could this make it smoke a little (looks like too much gas smoke not oil burning) and also make it hard to start?

kicking this thing is ridiculous with the compression it has and it now having a compression release cable on it...

oldskool83
11-23-2006, 09:25 PM
prob are running them to hard. smoking would be your rings, mainly your oil ring on the piston. ive had some XR200 4 strokes and some TT600 yamaha 4 stroke and it was always the oil ring, but riding a air cooled 4 stroke hard like a 2 stroke never helped either.

check that oil ring.

random-strike
11-23-2006, 09:47 PM
prob are running them to hard. smoking would be your rings, mainly your oil ring on the piston. ive had some XR200 4 strokes and some TT600 yamaha 4 stroke and it was always the oil ring, but riding a air cooled 4 stroke hard like a 2 stroke never helped either.

check that oil ring.

yea, if i "check" it ill have to hone and ring it anyways.

im sure it needs new rings.

but will out of adjustment valves make it smoke and hard to start?

atctim
11-23-2006, 09:53 PM
but will out of adjustment valves make it smoke

No - smoke means oil is getting through and burned

hard to start?

Yes - if valves are out - it may give you some hard starting issues.

You need to l,ook beyond the valves I think. Top-end rebuild I would say.

random-strike
11-23-2006, 09:58 PM
No - smoke means oil is getting through and burned

it could be running rich... not burning all gas because of valves etc...

Yes - if valves are out - it may give you some hard starting issues.

You need to l,ook beyond the valves I think. Top-end rebuild I would say

looks like i might have to rebuild it. hope it lasts longer than a year :rolleyes:

4cylinders
11-23-2006, 10:31 PM
hey, before you start tearing things apart, you need to check your oil. what brand and what weight are you using? what condition is it in when you change it? you could have oil failure, not ring failure. some oils are not designed for air cooled engines, which run hotter than w/cooled. ever notice on some engines how the rings are carboned up when you tear them down? that's oil failure. but don't jump on the synthetic wagon, not all of them are designed for wet clutches. valveline sells a 4 stroke atv oil, try that before you spend too much. and be sure to change the oil filter in the 350x every time, remember the 350x has 4 valves, and to check the adjustment every few oil changes.

random-strike
11-23-2006, 10:48 PM
hey, before you start tearing things apart, you need to check your oil. what brand and what weight are you using? what condition is it in when you change it? you could have oil failure, not ring failure. some oils are not designed for air cooled engines, which run hotter than w/cooled. ever notice on some engines how the rings are carboned up when you tear them down? that's oil failure. but don't jump on the synthetic wagon, not all of them are designed for wet clutches. valveline sells a 4 stroke atv oil, try that before you spend too much. and be sure to change the oil filter in the 350x every time, remember the 350x has 4 valves, and to check the adjustment every few oil changes.

thank you, thats really good advice

i use cheap oil in it...

the thing about using expensive oil in it is that the case leaks a little bit and i dont want to keep putting expensive oil in it if its going to leak out... i need to put a new gasket or silicone that side of the case.

checking the adjustment should be easy right? just take the valve cover off and use a feeler gauge or something? whats are they supposed to be gapped at?

4cylinders
11-23-2006, 11:55 PM
hey you can use permatex ultra gray sealer on clean/dry areas, no pressure. next time you change oil, clean that spot with brake cleaner, blow it off and push some sealer into it. if it's on the bottom, stand the bike up. don't have a manual for 350x, but most hondas are 2-3 thousands, and there are caps on the cam cover. much simpler than most cars. some of the 350x had a start procedure decal that gave you instructions on how to start, that worked good. try this, see if it helps.

random-strike
11-24-2006, 12:50 AM
hey you can use permatex ultra gray sealer on clean/dry areas, no pressure. next time you change oil, clean that spot with brake cleaner, blow it off and push some sealer into it. if it's on the bottom, stand the bike up. don't have a manual for 350x, but most hondas are 2-3 thousands, and there are caps on the cam cover. much simpler than most cars. some of the 350x had a start procedure decal that gave you instructions on how to start, that worked good. try this, see if it helps.

ill try to use some silicone on it. i took the other case off whicih was leaking worse and used some silicone on and it doesnt leak anymore.

i dont really want to take that other side off

4cylinders
11-24-2006, 01:19 AM
hey, the ultra is a better sealer than most of the others, really good stuff, hard to get off your hands too.

random-strike
11-24-2006, 02:45 AM
hey, the ultra is a better sealer than most of the others, really good stuff, hard to get off your hands too.

I have a bud that works at a dealership, i get mopar grey silicone from him. works good

dufrain
11-24-2006, 02:46 AM
If you have the carb running real rich you can wash the cylinders down so the oil is washed off them and wear out your rings fast .If you dont change your oil enough,or your air filter leaks dirt or you give your motor hell ,cold all can lead to a smoking engine to.Use good quality regular oil ,its maybe 50 cents higher a quart.I use the coastal 15/40 fleet oil or other diesel rated oil in all my stuff and never have oil related problems.All good diesel oil is rated for gas motors to.I dont have any trouble with the wet clutch.