PDA

View Full Version : My 350x engine mod thread.

jsimonh
11-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Alright guys, I've been gathering info and parts for about 2 weeks now and I'm ready to start my project. The goal was to pep up my 350 with some goodies. First up is a lightend flywheel from Ronnie (who is the MAN!).
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321635.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321636.jpg
Next we have the Powroll cam (mild/mid).
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321642.jpg
And finally we have the NEW stock piston/jug. And new valves with high performance springs. This setup is already under a change because after much personal debate I decided to go ahead and get a new 10.25 to 1 piston. It hasn't arrived yet so I don't have a pic.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321634.jpg
I tore it down tonight and low and behold what do I find? A high comp piston already in there! SOAB! So now my old jug/w high comp piston will be for sale (pm with offers if your interested). I thought about reselling the new stuff but I already bought it so why not use it!

Alright here are some of the progress pics.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321637.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321641.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321643.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321644.jpg

The only thing that has me waiting is the new high comp piston. As soon as it comes I will have pics of this thing going back together and then Hello Little Sahara!

So what do you guys think?

ATCR250R
11-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Thats going to be one mean 350 you got there!

random-strike
11-22-2006, 11:44 PM
pretty cool :)

3wheelencowboy
11-23-2006, 12:27 AM
that's what i plan on doing to mine kind of i might go a little crazier though why not a stroker crank to??

jsimonh
11-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys, My major debate on the piston was reliability. I think this is about as far as I want to go. If a stroker motor wasn't always talked about as a "tme bomb" I might look into it. Maybe in the distance future?:naughty:

The main thing that concerns me is that my motor wasn't hard to kick over:wondering . Then when I seen the high comp in there I was really thinking WTF? It ran great and had lots of power, but you could almost kick it over sitting down. The valves are pretty built up with carbon, maybe that had something to do with it? IDK, but it will all get fixed soon.
Is there anyway to tell if the cam is stock? The Powroll definatly has different lobes and they look bigger, but I'm not sure. I didn't see any markings on the cam, but I wasn't really looking to hard either.

3wheelencowboy
11-23-2006, 02:10 PM
wow mine has the piston that you are going to put in yours and i literally have to put all of my wait on it just to get it to kickover definately sounds like a mean bike though what kind of carb are you gonna run??

jsimonh
11-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Stock for now. I'm looking at getting a 400ex carb, but everything I read seems to make it sound like a major pain in the butt. If I can get one off of ebay cheap enough I'll at least try it.

random-strike
11-23-2006, 08:13 PM
id get the 400ex carb, just need to jet it correctly to your application.

350x carbs are complete garbage

Yamahondaman
11-23-2006, 08:47 PM
L@@KING GOOD !!!!
when you get your NEW Piston... try to round off the sharp corners where the valve pockets are.... i normally use a dremmel with small Cratex wheels ...
Keep the Pics coming !!!

Mosh
11-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Stock for now. I'm looking at getting a 400ex carb, but everything I read seems to make it sound like a major pain in the butt. If I can get one off of ebay cheap enough I'll at least try it.Make sure you adjust the choke detent.Re-tweak it to make it stronger.The 400ex carbs were bad for sucking the choke closed at high rpms,once they got worn out.It is a simple 5 minute fix.

SWIGIN
11-24-2006, 12:03 AM
as for it kicking easy, do you have the compression release hooked up?

my 350x motor has a 12 to 1 that i milled to about 11 to 1 and with the comp release it kicks real easy.

with out the release it will kick like a mule!

random-strike
11-24-2006, 01:05 AM

my 350x motor has a 12 to 1 that i milled to about 11 to 1 and with the comp release it kicks real easy.

you lowered the compression by milling the head?

jsimonh
11-24-2006, 09:31 AM

I have a decompression cabel, but it's never been on the trike. The part up on the head where it hooks to can be pulled all the way out easily. I'm not sure whats going on with it. That is kinda why I went overbored with all the new topend parts:D . If you replace everything then nothing can be broken:lol: :lol: .

SWIGIN
11-24-2006, 01:09 PM
you lowered the compression by milling the head?

um....no......i milled the piston

jsimonh
11-25-2006, 12:09 AM
L@@KING GOOD !!!!
when you get your NEW Piston... try to round off the sharp corners where the valve pockets are.... i normally use a dremmel with small Cratex wheels ...
Keep the Pics coming !!!
How far down do I smooth them? Just take the edge off a little? C'mon man you gotta hit me up with more details!:lol: :lol:

Make sure you adjust the choke detent.Re-tweak it to make it stronger.The 400ex carbs were bad for sucking the choke closed at high rpms,once they got worn out.It is a simple 5 minute fix.
Thanks for the heads up. I can't decide if I want to do the 400ex carb mod yet:wondering .

What does lightening a fly wheel do and how much does it cost? Whats the steps to do this? What are the pros and cons? Advantages, dis-advantages? The book says that if your decompression arm is not adjusted right, you could damage your valves. If that arm came out like that, it needs a new pindowl. Couple of bucks from www.partsfish.com.
I'm not sure just yet on what it does. From what I've read along with talking to NOS_350x(very cool guy) on the phone it is instant power:naughty: . It will allow the 350 to rev alot faster, which makes it get up to speed faster:cool: . 10-4 on the pindowl I knew something was up with it just wasn't sure what. Get in touch with Ronnie (Yamahondaman) in this thread about the wheel.

No updated pics yet(still waiting on the piston). But I did buy me a digital caliper today and took some measurements of my new cam. Where or how do you measure the lobes? Powroll says Lift .355” Intake, .360” Exhaust I get the .355 by measuring the tallest point on one lobe but when I measure the other I get .430. I measured the original cam and cam up with the .430 also. The other lobe on the stock cam was shorter than the Powroll but those other two seem to be the same height. What gives?

random-strike
11-25-2006, 01:55 AM
um....no......i milled the piston

makes sense ;)

jsimonh
11-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Well I started to take the side cases off. One side has a bolt broke off where the oil filter goes. It was like that when I bought it and oil leaks out of it slowly. The other side is coming off because of a slow leak at the shifter plus I have to take it off to put the new flywheel on.

When I got the flywheel side opened up I seen a horrible sight. I don't know how this happend, but look at the condition of the stock flywheel:eek: .
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321647.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321646.jpg

Will a normal metic bolt work to get this flywheel off? I have read that you can use the axle, but I only have the one and I'm not wanting to take it out. Any ideas why it got so rusty?:wondering

Dammit!
11-26-2006, 01:55 PM
20 yrs. of condensation. Not that unusual.

jsimonh
11-26-2006, 02:40 PM
20 yrs. of condensation. Not that unusual.

Thanks for the insight:D . When I did my old AutoX and TriZ, and just recently the Tecate none of them was like that, so I didn't know they could get that bad.

What I do know is that the rust isn't helping to get the dang thing off!:mad:

NOS_350X
11-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Lookin good so far.:w00t: Sounds like your engine already had some work done to it previously. For the flywheel i used Oil filter remover to hold it and an impact to zip it right off. Watch out i think it might have been reverse threaded.

About the cam, the duration is probably longer on the exhaust and the lift isnt as high.

Since you got it appart why dont you have me port it??:beer

jsimonh
11-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Lookin good so far.:w00t: Sounds like your engine already had some work done to it previously. For the flywheel i used Oil filter remover to hold it and an impact to zip it right off. Watch out i think it might have been reverse threaded.

About the cam, the duration is probably longer on the exhaust and the lift isnt as high.

I was wondering when you was going to chime in!:lol:

Thanks for clearing the cam up.

I just got back from the farm, where we were able to get the old flywheel off:eek: . I noticed that the inside (where the magnets are) is smooth, and the one I had lightned seems to have small ridges. They are constant all the way around and the same length apart, but it isn't smooth to the touch. Any thoughts?

There seemed to be a little oil in the flywheel area, I'm not sure if I got a bad seal or not. Does it go in from the outside or from the inside of the case?

My little freshen up the topend has turned into a helluva project.:lol:

NOS_350X
11-27-2006, 01:06 AM
I was wondering when you was going to chime in!:lol:

Thanks for clearing the cam up.

I just got back from the farm, where we were able to get the old flywheel off:eek: . I noticed that the inside (where the magnets are) is smooth, and the one I had lightned seems to have small ridges. They are constant all the way around and the same length apart, but it isn't smooth to the touch. Any thoughts?

There seemed to be a little oil in the flywheel area, I'm not sure if I got a bad seal or not. Does it go in from the outside or from the inside of the case?

My little freshen up the topend has turned into a helluva project.:lol:

Ive ran accrost several flywheels like the one you had lightened. They work fine, but i am not shrue of the diffrence yet from the others. With the oil in your flywheel area i woudnt worry about, who knows where it came from or how long it has been there. Rember you still have that option of having me port your engine. :beer but anyways looks like everything is going somewhat smooth, but with that 12:1 piston you took out it probably would have been a good idea to run race gas.

Klondike1020
11-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks guys, My major debate on the piston was reliability. I think this is about as far as I want to go. If a stroker motor wasn't always talked about as a "tme bomb" I might look into it. Maybe in the distance future?:naughty:

I dont know specifically about 350X

but i built a stroker outta a XR200 bottom end and 250 top end
it was ballsy and it lasted years before i crashed it and broke the crank case
not ot mention it was an 85 Dual carb dual exhaust

that top end would make a hell of a 200x

but my stroker wasnt a tikin bomb it was a missle

threewheelin-feelin
11-27-2006, 01:52 AM
sweet man...im planning on doing the same to my 350x here soon...i plan on doing a .20 over 10.25 to 1 wiseco piston...bolt in race cam and new gaskets along with a pipe...jet kit...and k&n filter... hope to start buying stuff soon but this rear end rebuild on my truck is kicking my ass lol

jsimonh
11-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Ive ran accrost several flywheels like the one you had lightened. They work fine, but i am not shrue of the diffrence yet from the others. With the oil in your flywheel area i woudnt worry about, who knows where it came from or how long it has been there. Rember you still have that option of having me port your engine. but anyways looks like everything is going somewhat smooth, but with that 12:1 piston you took out it probably would have been a good idea to run race gas.

Well the guy that I bought either didn't know about the piston or didn't think to tell me about it. Do you think the one I just took out is a 12 to 1? My new piston should be in today and I'll be able to compare them. On the porting, if I decide to do it I'll give you a call;) . I don't think that's a mod I want to mess with right now. My deadline is this coming weekend so I can hopefully attend a trip to Little Sahara.

but my stroker wasnt a tikin bomb it was a missle
I'm not saying it's a bad idea or anything, but missles are built to explode:lol: :lol: .

sweet man...im planning on doing the same to my 350x here soon...i plan on doing a .20 over 10.25 to 1 wiseco piston...bolt in race cam and new gaskets along with a pipe...jet kit...and k&n filter... hope to start buying stuff soon but this rear end rebuild on my truck is kicking my ass lol
It has been alot of fun and frustration, but I think it will be worth it in the end. I also know what your going through with the truck rear end. Good Luck!

Yamahondaman
11-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure about them Ridge Things in the Fly Wheel...maybe a diff. yr. ?

Louis Mielke
11-27-2006, 01:44 PM

I was kinda curious. What kinda of port work do you do on the 350x head? Any example pictures/ maybe a brief description. Don't worry, don't expect you to give away your secrets.;)

jsimonh
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure about them Ridge Things in the Fly Wheel...maybe a diff. yr. ?

That's what I was thinking, but I don't know. It has strong magnets and seems to be real solid so I'm not worried about it, I was just curious.

Yamahondaman
11-27-2006, 07:01 PM
As long as the inside Dia. Don't hit the Stator........ GO FOR IT !!!

jsimonh
11-27-2006, 07:17 PM
As long as the inside Dia. Don't hit the Stator........ GO FOR IT !!!

That's what I'm talking about!

Look what was at my door when I got home wallago.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321651.jpg

Looks like things will be shaping up TONIGHT!:w00t:
I hope everything goes back together as easy as it came apart:lol: , and I don't have any bolts left over:D .

Yamahondaman
11-27-2006, 07:26 PM
HUMMMMM ................ NICE !!!! L@@K'S Like the Busa we just did !!!
But with FOUR Piston's !!!
smooth out the ROUGH Edge's on the Top abit ....

IrvSLedman
11-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Hmm very cool, and not to steal the thread, but I would like to do somthing like this to my X, only i dont rightly know just what you have to buy as far as the cam/springs go, I never really got into the top ends of motors, but i would like too. anyways, all I want is a somewhat large power increase.. not like a big bore kit. but just alittle more spunk. like a notable change. so what cam would i want?

jsimonh
11-27-2006, 09:27 PM
The damn flywheel don't fit! I got it on and went to put the side case back on and the stator won't go inside the wheel. WTF??? I think my trip to Little Sahara this weekend just went down in flames, unless I can get a new flywheel ASAP. I don't even have the old one to put back on anymore. SOAB!:mad: :mad: :mad:

NOS_350X
11-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Are you positive the flywheel is set all the way down and in the keyway? What part is hitting thats not clearing? shure its not the shiftlever or anything like that?

The one you had lightened dosent match?? I got an extra that i was going to have ronniefied, but i just havent gotten around to it yet. I could try and get it there but shipping is going to kill ya.

threewheelin-feelin
11-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Well the guy that I bought either didn't know about the piston or didn't think to tell me about it. Do you think the one I just took out is a 12 to 1? My new piston should be in today and I'll be able to compare them. On the porting, if I decide to do it I'll give you a call;) . I don't think that's a mod I want to mess with right now. My deadline is this coming weekend so I can hopefully attend a trip to Little Sahara.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea or anything, but missles are built to explode:lol: :lol: .

It has been alot of fun and frustration, but I think it will be worth it in the end. I also know what your going through with the truck rear end. Good Luck!

yes rear end rebuilds are a pain....i put it all back together and its still whinning and the pinion seal is leaking...so i have to take it all back apart re shim the carrier and pull the pinion yoke and seal...so this is gonna set me back on the 350x rebuidl even longer:cry:

gplarryv
11-28-2006, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=jsimonh]

Where or how do you measure the lobes? ]

measure the lobe width and height than multiply the two, then divide that number by the rocker arm ratio and you have actual lobe lift larrry

jsimonh
11-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Are you positive the flywheel is set all the way down and in the keyway? What part is hitting thats not clearing? shure its not the shiftlever or anything like that?

The one you had lightened dosent match?? I got an extra that i was going to have ronniefied, but i just havent gotten around to it yet. I could try and get it there but shipping is going to kill ya.

Thanks NOS, but I've got a stator on its way already. There is a guy in Hinton Oklahoma that sells parts on ebay. It takes like one day maybe 2 at the most to get my parts. I called him last night and he went and counted the stator "arms" for me. I'm starting to think my 86 is an 85 with white plastic, but IDK:wondering . The 85 has 17 pickup arms and the 86 has 14. The inside diameter of the 86 flywheel is like .12 inches smaller than the 85. I took the stator off and tried it in the flywheel and it just won't fit. I ended up with a 85 stator and a "ronniefied" 86 flywheel. So I bought a 86 stator to match. When it gets here I try it and post results. This could end up being good info for other peoples future builds.:lol:

I guess when I get off work today I'll go ahead and try and start on the top-end. I can always do the flywheel afterwards.

Yamahondaman
11-28-2006, 11:19 AM
DANG... i was wondering what them raised inner things were ?? that flywheel was diff. on the inside from Nos's...when you get the time ... i'll do your other one

jsimonh
11-28-2006, 01:31 PM
DANG... i was wondering what them raised inner things were ?? that flywheel was diff. on the inside from Nos's...when you get the time ... i'll do your other one

Thanks Ronnie, but the stator I have coming is supposed to fit inside the one you already did. If it doesn't fit then I'll take you up on that offer.:beer Of course I'll have to get another flywheel.:cry:

fastleo
11-28-2006, 01:43 PM
it really cool to see all you guys helping each other out:w00t: . i just re did my 350x motor

with a 13 t 1 high comp piston

rollercam( same as yours)

.30 bigbore

copletely new top end

and wow she flys

i didnt do the fly wheel thing cause i didnt think it would help that much?

looking forward to see your all done

andy....

fastleo
11-28-2006, 01:43 PM
it really cool to see all you guys helping each other out:w00t: . i just re did my 350x motor

with a 13 t 1 high comp piston

rollercam( same as yours)

.30 bigbore

copletely new top end

and wow she flys

looking forward to see your all done

andy....

fastleo
11-28-2006, 01:44 PM
but did i tell you mine is in a 300 ex frame

extra motor and extra frame so i stuck em together

andy....

jsimonh
11-28-2006, 01:49 PM

The people on this site are outstanding. I've talked to a few on the phone and have always ejoyed it. There is always someone that can help.

The part out of this whole project that I'm most excited about is the flywheel. I'm a acceleration type guy, not really to big on top speed. The wheel is supposed to give it alot more throttle responce, so I can't wait.

fastleo
11-28-2006, 01:52 PM
3 wheelerworld is my happy place

jsimonh
11-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Alright guys, I made some good progress last night. :w00t:
I was able to change the clutch side cover with a new one. When I bought the trike the first thing I did was change the oil and discovered someone had broke one of the 3 bolts that holds the cover:mad: . Then they mangled it up so bad trying to get it out it was un-savable.:rolleyes:
So I got that took care of and installed the new piston (after smoothing the edges a little) and jug. I then moved on to the head. I took the old valves/springs out and got the new high performance ones installed. After cleaning it all up of course.:D
:pics:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321658.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321655.jpg

BigGreenMachine
11-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Nice! I want a fourstroke woods machine, just don't know which..a 200X or 350X?

jsimonh
11-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Nice! I want a fourstroke woods machine, just don't know which..a 200X or 350X?

Either is nice, but why not start with the best and get a 350x.:D

Well the new stator came today. FYI the 85's and 86's are way different. Here is a pic of the new one. 14 arms versus 17 on the 85. It has a smaller OD and seems to have bigger coils too.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321660.jpg

BigGreenMachine
11-29-2006, 03:05 PM
So will we soon get a ride report? Anything else your doing chassis wise?

Billy Golightly
11-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Thats looking great jsimonh! That thing ought to really rip when you get it back together. I was totally amazed when I rode Brian's 452x at Trikefest, suprised the heck out of me.

Looking at those pictures really got me thinkin man someone really needs to make a roller cam setup for the 350Xs. It'd save many a head from getting torn to pieces in those journal areas. I started on one a looooooong time ago before I really knew what I was doing :lol: I bet it'd be a nice little power pickup too.

Louis Mielke
11-29-2006, 05:18 PM
I think someone already has a needle bearing cam for the 350x, or are you talking about rollers on the end of the rocker arms?

Billy Golightly
11-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Well I meant a bearing on the end like the 185/200 series have but yeah roller rockers would be nice too!

jsimonh
11-29-2006, 11:27 PM
So will we soon get a ride report? Anything else your doing chassis wise?

I HOPE! I don't think I'm gonna make the weekend deadline for the trip to Little Sahara:( . I don't want to rush it and make a mistake, plus there talking about having the worst winter storm Oklahoma has seen in many years over the next few days:eek: . Maybe this Sunday I can get'er going and just take it out to the farm for a little break in:naughty: . No major chassis upgrades yet. I do have some new seals for the forks and some new Pro Taper bars to put on. Hopefully soon I'll start on the cosmetic/chassis upgrades:D .

Thats looking great jsimonh! That thing ought to really rip when you get it back together. I was totally amazed when I rode Brian's 452x at Trikefest, suprised the heck out of me.

Looking at those pictures really got me thinkin man someone really needs to make a roller cam setup for the 350Xs. It'd save many a head from getting torn to pieces in those journal areas. I started on one a looooooong time ago before I really knew what I was doing I bet it'd be a nice little power pickup too.

Thanks. After tearing it down and seeing how bad the valves were. I think just cleaning/changing them would've made a world of difference. I'm excited to have something that will hopefully have snap-neck acceleration, without being a 2-stroke (not that's there is anything wrong with pingers:D ). A roller cam would be sweet. It seems like I read something about that somewhere?

One last thing, here is another pic of the 2 stator's together. The left is the 85 so the right is the 86.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321661.jpg

jsimonh
12-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Well, I got a little update and then another problem. First off the motor is almost done:w00t: . Here in Oklahoma we had a pretty good winter storm, so my trip to Little Sahara was cancelled until next weekend, so that takes alot of pressure off of me to get this thing done.

So anyway I was working on it this morning and installed the cam/cam chain etc... well when I went to put the chain tensioner on I noticed this.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321666.jpg
I don't know if it was like that or it got broke somehow, but now I'm in the market for a new one. Does anyone know if the 85's and 86's will interchange? The only good thing about this is that I don't have to stop. I can continue on in the process and put that on later.

Here is the pic with the cam installed.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321664.jpg

Erics350x
12-03-2006, 11:53 PM
im not sure if they interchange but the look different

DeePa
12-04-2006, 12:41 AM
i have one off of an 86 shoot me a pm...
i will TRY to remember to get it on tuesday when i get pics, i could send it out wednesday.

Everythign else is looking great

Mike

NOS_350X
12-04-2006, 02:07 AM
There is a diffrence between the 86 and 85 flywheel aprently.

From the pic i cant tell whats rong with the tensioner, but to set it you take out the bolt in the back, take a small flathead screwdriver and unscrew the tensioner, then bolt it up while your holding the tensioner back onece its tight take out the screwdriver.

DeePa
12-04-2006, 02:08 AM
there is a piece chipped off of the body near the long metal tensioner part

NOS_350X
12-04-2006, 02:16 AM
there is a piece chipped off of the body near the long metal tensioner part

I see, get a new one. probably no fixing that one.

jsimonh
12-04-2006, 09:38 AM
I see, get a new one. probably no fixing that one.

I've got one on the way;) . I don't know if it was broke when I took it out and didn't notice or I broke it somehow while it was out:wondering . Either way it is no good...

Mike thanks for the offer, but no need.:D

So why did the fly wheel not work? Do you guys think I will have the same prob with mine? Ronnie is doing my fly wheel right now.
The 86 wheel is a little smaller in the inside. If you have an 85 wheel then both stators should work, if the wheel is an 86 the 85 stator will not go inside it.

jsimonh
12-04-2006, 02:36 PM
I understand now NOS. I am glad I am getting the work done to my specific wheel.
Hey jsimonh, I have this chain tensioner that works great with no problems. If you want it just pay shipping and its yours. It came off a 350x. Let me know. Here are some pics.

That is very nice of you Liquid:beer , but if you read just above your post you'll see that I've gotten it taken care of;) .

Yamahondaman
12-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey Liquid..... i'm Turning Your's TONITE !!!! Shipping Tommorrow !!! :w00t:

Yamahondaman
12-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Sending 12-05-06 !!!! PRIORITY Mail .........
You Will Like !! :naughty:
GIT IT RAG !!!

jsimonh
12-07-2006, 09:42 AM
GOING, ...GOING, ...GOING, ...IN:w00t:

Well the motors back in. The pictures don't look like anything special, but I sure was glad to sit it back in there.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321672.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321674.jpg

I figured this has to do with the motor so I'll just keep it in this thread.
I just got a 2002 400ex carb off of ebay, and I have an idea where to start on the main, but I'm having trouble finding info for all the other jets. Any suggestions?

thebutelr
12-07-2006, 06:43 PM
GOING, ...GOING, ...GOING, ...IN:w00t:

Well the motors back in. The pictures don't look like anything special, but I sure was glad to sit it back in there.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321672.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321674.jpg

I figured this has to do with the motor so I'll just keep it in this thread.
I just got a 2002 400ex carb off of ebay, and I have an idea where to start on the main, but I'm having trouble finding info for all the other jets. Any suggestions?

I am running the same motor mods as you except for my cam being a couple of degrees lower on the duration than yours and no lightened flywheel (yet). My jetting for the bike with the 400 carb is at 180 main, 45 pilot, and the needle on one notch above stock and it is spot-on for my bike. My supertrapp has 12 discs in it also.

jsimonh
12-07-2006, 06:49 PM
I am running the same motor mods as you except for my cam being a couple of degrees lower on the duration than yours and no lightened flywheel (yet). My jetting for the bike with the 400 carb is at 180 main, 45 pilot, and the needle on one notch above stock and it is spot-on for my bike. My supertrapp has 12 discs in it also.

Thanks for the heads up on the jet sizes. I'll probably wait until after my trip to start changing the carbs out.

Yamahondaman
12-07-2006, 06:53 PM
DANG Thats a BIG Jet !! My son's 400 ex carb. had a 178 in it with the LRD Pipe ...
like me........ them 4-stroke's like em FATT !!! :naughty:

thebutelr
12-07-2006, 06:56 PM
DANG Thats a BIG Jet !! My son's 400 ex carb. had a 178 in it with the LRD Pipe ...
like me........ them 4-stroke's like em FATT !!! :naughty:

Heck yeah its big, it surprised the crap out of me to see how lean I was really running until I tried a jet 20 sizes bigger! Man this thing runs like a totally different bike now! I'll have to move up on the main soon though due to the 400ex exhaust conversion I am about to do.

Yamahondaman
12-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Ya ... the 148 Main was .... UGH !!! and the 180 was "abit" Big with the Valves at .002 ..

NOS_350X
12-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Ya ... the 148 Main was .... UGH !!! and the 180 was "abit" Big with the Valves at .002 ..

You run *Edited**Edited* valves a bit tight? I run them a bit loose, seemts to give me a bit more on top (where i'm at on the throttle the whole time)
The main on my 350x with the 400ex carb was 220. That wasnt rich, it was right on there.

firefirefire90
12-07-2006, 11:24 PM
The trike is looking really good. When you had the pic of the head up, it looked NEW inside!!! Here's a suggestion...I would take the motor out of the trike..take all the nibs and nobs off the frame..AND CLEAN HER. Lol. She needs a good spit shine brush wash(tooth brush that is). The cleanlyness of a trike really makes her shine. That headlight guard is really slick BTW. Do they make those for 250Rs?

jsimonh
12-08-2006, 12:08 AM
The trike is looking really good. When you had the pic of the head up, it looked NEW inside!!! Here's a suggestion...I would take the motor out of the trike..take all the nibs and nobs off the frame..AND CLEAN HER. Lol. She needs a good spit shine brush wash(tooth brush that is). The cleanlyness of a trike really makes her shine. That headlight guard is really slick BTW. Do they make those for 250Rs?

The "cosmetic" phase will begin shortly. I've got some things in the works for that;) . I'll make the Little Sahara trip this weekend with the stock carb and then begin messin with the new carb. Right now I'm also bidding on a Supertrapp exhaust on Ebay. I hope I can get it, but who knows:wondering .

I've got a new question.:D I got everything all hooked up tonight and kicked it over a little. I didn't start it because of neighbors, but it just doesn't seem to be that hard to kick over. My decomp cable isn't even hooked up yet, all the valves are properly seated, new rings, new cylinder, 10.25 piston, I figured this thing would be a mule to kick over but it just isn't. Any thoughts? Should I do a compression test? What should the compression be?

3wheelencowboy
12-08-2006, 01:57 AM
i've got the same problem from when i pulled the clutch on mine and i haven't had time to start it does deomp cable have to be hooked up??

NOS_350X
12-08-2006, 02:17 AM
Check your valves again and make shure its at TDC, It might actualy be easyer than before if the valves where way out and basicaly not letting it out. Now its all adjusted properly and valves open at perfect timing, so it might be easyer than before if it was way bad before.

jsimonh
12-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Check your valves again and make shure its at TDC, It might actualy be easyer than before if the valves where way out and basicaly not letting it out. Now its all adjusted properly and valves open at perfect timing, so it might be easyer than before if it was way bad before.

I took my time with the valves and the timing. I'm 99.99% sure everything is correct. When I went to adjust the valves, I lined everything up on the timing, made sure the piston was at TDC and started adjusting them. They were way off, and I had to adjust each one down alot. It is very hard to pust over with my hand on the kicker, but when I stand up and use my foot, it doesn't take a whole lot.

IDK what's up with it, but I'm taking it out after work to see how she runs and I'll give a report tonight.

thebutelr
12-08-2006, 01:55 PM
I took my time with the valves and the timing. I'm 99.99% sure everything is correct. When I went to adjust the valves, I lined everything up on the timing, made sure the piston was at TDC and started adjusting them. They were way off, and I had to adjust each one down alot. It is very hard to pust over with my hand on the kicker, but when I stand up and use my foot, it doesn't take a whole lot.

IDK what's up with it, but I'm taking it out after work to see how she runs and I'll give a report tonight.

I had the same thing happen with my X when I put the motor back together. I could barely notice any more difficulty with the 10.5:1 wiseco compared to stock. I guess my leg got stronger after two years of kicking the stock compression???:confused: Oh and also about the supertrapp, soon I am going to be purchasing a 400ex HMF slip-on so if you don't get that supertrapp on ebay I will sell you mine once I get the HMF. :beer

jsimonh
12-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I had the same thing happen with my X when I put the motor back together. I could barely notice any more difficulty with the 10.5:1 wiseco compared to stock. I guess my leg got stronger after two years of kicking the stock compression???:confused: Oh and also about the supertrapp, soon I am going to be purchasing a 400ex HMF slip-on so if you don't get that supertrapp on ebay I will sell you mine once I get the HMF. :beer

That sounds good:beer .

Well, I took her out tonight. I must say that it's not what I expected:cry: . The thing runs good, but .....well maybe I had my expectations up to much. I don't really know what to say. I'm not going to Little Sahara this weekend because I'm not comfortable with it yet. I'll go out tommorow and fiddle with it some more at the farm.

Yamahondaman
12-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Keep in Mind ..... it's NOT one of the NEW 450 4-wheeler's !! the Modern Bike's are BAD ARSE !!!!

jsimonh
12-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Keep in Mind ..... it's NOT one of the NEW 450 4-wheeler's !! the Modern Bike's are BAD ARSE !!!!

I know, I know, but I haven't rode one of those so I'm not comparing. I'll go at it with an open mind tommorow and see what I think. Something just doesn't feel right. We'll see.

SWIGIN
12-09-2006, 09:22 AM
did you have the head ported?

my 350x motor has a crazy port job 11-1 piston and a tc high rev cam with a 38mm carb and it runs real strong.

but you got to open the head up to let that motor breath....oh yeah a larger pipe helps too ( 2inch)

jsimonh
12-09-2006, 06:03 PM
I'M IN LOVE!:D :D Well I just got back from riding, and I must say that I just had the most fun on a trike in my life. I'm sure everyone is just dying to know what the problem was:lol: ...well it was the clutch! In my eagerness to check it out last night (almost dark and very cold) I didn't adjust my clutch cable. I adjusted it first thing today, and started riding. On hard packed ground I can lean all the way forward, and from a rolling start stand that baby straight up:naughty: . 4th gear shift, lean back a little, and here comes the wheelie. It's almost kinda scary that it will take off like that, but I love it. So as you can probably tell I'm very happy with everything!:w00t:

My 400ex carb will be coming in soon, so I will get it on and hopefully make it rip that much more!:D I did get outbid on the Supertrapp:mad: , but I think me and thebutelr have come to an arrangement on his:D .

Things are definatly looking up!:w00t:

jsimonh
12-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Well I got my 400ex carb in the other day:w00t: , and I'm gonna try and put it on tommorow. I have to make a trip to the Honda shop about 30 miles away to get some jets, but oh well:D . The guy who had it before me put a 155 main in it, and from what I read that will be to much:wondering . I figured I'd pick up a few jets from about 142-150, surely one of those would work:confused: . If I can't get it "dialed in" I was thinking about getting a dial-a-jet and running a 138 or 140 main, do you guys think that would work?

NOS_350X
12-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Start off with that 155, i'm thinkin that might be close. If not probably bigger. Check it out before you go buy more jets them suckers are expensive.

jsimonh
12-16-2006, 01:55 AM
Start off with that 155, i'm thinkin that might be close. If not probably bigger. Check it out before you go buy more jets them suckers are expensive.

Will do!:D I have to make the trip early anyway so I may pick a few up just in case.

thebutelr
12-16-2006, 03:58 AM

Man thats odd NOS because his cam has a little bit more lift on the intake than mine and I'm running a 180 main with the 400 carb and its spot on. :confused: Guess different bikes=different jetting though. :wondering

NOS_350X
12-16-2006, 04:26 AM
Man thats odd NOS because his cam has a little bit more lift on the intake than mine and I'm running a 180 main with the 400 carb and its spot on. :confused: Guess different bikes=different jetting though. :wondering

Every bike is diffrent. It might be a 150 it might be a 200, you just never know until you try. I have a stock engine running a 148 main, and a decently built one at 152 (camp porting and exhaust) It also depends on where most your power is, if its all on top then your going to have a high main jet.

SWIGIN
12-16-2006, 05:29 AM
having a high top end doesn't mean you will have a larger main jet

im running a high rev cam with a 160 main in my 38mm carb, theres to many thing other then motor parts that change jetting.

one of the big things is the tube going from the carb to the air filter on my bike this tube has 2 hard bends in it to clear the cr 500 shock. this makes it richer then a normal '' straight'' tube

my last bike had all the same parts as this motor but it had a k&n filter clamped right on the carb. it needed a 200 main to run right

only real difference was the air tube.....who knows

jsimonh
12-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Well I got the 400ex carb on today, and that thing rocks:w00t: . I'm pretty lean with a 155 main, so I'll have to go up. When I was doing my test runs with it that baby was screaming. I would recommend this carb to anyone who even thinks about trying it:naughty: . I stuck the carb into the intake boot and slaped a UNI pod filter on the back:eek: , no more messing with that stupid intake boot for me:lol: . I was on my way home tonight kinda bummed about not having the right jets to go riding tommorow when I remembered that my old Tri Z carb was a Keihin (it came off of a dirtbike), so I turned around and went and dug through my crap and found a whole bunch of jets from 165-215. Surely one of them will work!

More progress tommorow.:D

Yamahondaman
12-16-2006, 08:52 PM
YES ...Let us Know the Progress !!! :Bounce

fastleo
12-17-2006, 12:56 AM
how fast do you think she is running???

thanks for all the good reading, my 350 is very close to yours ( except the fly wheel) and it flys, it puts out almost 50 horse
this thread makes my want to re build anouther motor!!!!!

random-strike
12-17-2006, 02:33 AM
i wish mine didnt get stolen

jsimonh
12-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Well after digging through my jets it turns out a 175 main was the smallest that I had. After getting it installed it took forever to get the thing running, if you can call it that. I think it's fatter than a hog. I'll have to wait and get some around the 165 area I believe.

On a side note my 400 carb seemed really stiff today. I just rode yesterday and didn't notice anything, but today that baby was work to move the thumb throttle. Any ideas?

Kintore
12-17-2006, 02:50 PM
I love this thread, been watching it the whole way.

I would try and lube your cable, Ive heard using a small medical sryringe (sp?) and injecting a lube down there like PB blaster or something to free it up.
I also cut my throttle spring a bit on mine, not too much so it still resets itself but is ALOT nicer!

oh on a sidenote, maybe you were SO hyped yesterday you didnt notice! :lol:

Yamahondaman
12-17-2006, 03:22 PM
YES ... Loosen up the spring and lube !!

thebutelr
12-17-2006, 03:49 PM
I would just try lubing the cable first, make sure you use a specific cable lube because I hear WD-40 destroys the insides :eek: ! Mine has gotten stiff several times and it has always been from my cable not sliding right.;) Oh yeah Jsimonh, looks like we're both getting our pipes we ordered tomarrow!!! :w00t:

jsimonh
12-17-2006, 08:26 PM
I love this thread, been watching it the whole way.

I would try and lube your cable, Ive heard using a small medical sryringe (sp?) and injecting a lube down there like PB blaster or something to free it up.
I also cut my throttle spring a bit on mine, not too much so it still resets itself but is ALOT nicer!

oh on a sidenote, maybe you were SO hyped yesterday you didnt notice!

Glad you like the thread!;) I actually have a cable luber thing that I bought from DK awhile back, I'll give it a try. And you are probably right about being so hyped up that I didn't notice.:w00t:

YES ... Loosen up the spring and lube !!

will do!:D

I would just try lubing the cable first, make sure you use a specific cable lube because I hear WD-40 destroys the insides ! Mine has gotten stiff several times and it has always been from my cable not sliding right. Oh yeah Jsimonh, looks like we're both getting our pipes we ordered tomarrow!!!

I'm siked about the pipe coming in, by next weekend this thing should be all buttened up and ready to roll:naughty: .:w00t:

jsimonh
12-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Well my Supertrapp came in today.:w00t: I haven't had much time to mess with this lately, but I'll get there. Anyways here are some pics of the pipe that I got from thebutelr, and the header I got from 1DEADPREASIDENT. I'll bust out the wire wheel tommorow and get everything cleaned up and ready for paint:naughty: .
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321677.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321676.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture11321675.jpg

BigGreenMachine
12-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Could you please turn DOWN the volume on that blanket? lol

Pipe looks good!!

jsimonh
12-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Could you please turn DOWN the volume on that blanket? lol

Pipe looks good!!

:lol: :lol: It's actually a beach towell. I have three of them, and seeing how I'm almost 6'7" they work good for me when I need to dry off. The other 2 are even louder than that one.

I just got some 1200 degree paint and a bolt extractor kit (both heatsheild bolts are broke off in the headpipe:eek: ) so I may have some more pics of the pipe all cleaned up and ready for install soon:D .

tecat-z
12-20-2006, 04:12 PM
A fifty horse 350x, come on. In my opinion making 50 horse would be next to impossible. Tim Farrs 450r built be Mark Baldwin puts out 53-55. Pro bike with one of the best engine builders in the world turning the wrench. And unlimited funds and techonlogy, and those are his numbers. You will never see 10,800 rpm out of a 350x, reciprocating assembly is wayyyyyy to heavy and a long stroke. Not good for big HP numbers. Torque well, thats always been the Xs strong point. Don't get me wrong i like 350Xs but lets be realistic.

Billy Golightly
12-20-2006, 06:08 PM
I don't think you'll see 50hp out of a 350X but 10.8K would be easier then you think I bet :)

Yamahondaman
12-20-2006, 07:51 PM
I Need to "Turn" a Billet end Cap for that ..... get rid of those Ring thing's !!!

jsimonh
12-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Hey, it's not my 350x that puts out 50hp. Lets try and keep my thread clean guys:D .

I Need to "Turn" a Billet end Cap for that ..... get rid of those Ring thing's !!!

Tell me what you need to do it, and we'll get started:beer ! Any word on the headlight thingy yet? I'm fixing to start the "cosemetic" stages of this rebuild soon, and I've already done away with the tail-light, now I just need to dump the headlights:w00t: .

Yamahondaman
12-20-2006, 08:43 PM
i need Measurment's,Dia's,ID and OD Sizes ... i made my son's 400ex LRD one ... i can do it !!! ........... the Head Light Grill ...................
all's i need to do is the thingy's in the back that bolt's to the Plastic .... the "Grill" is Done ....... L@@K'S GOOD !! :naughty:

fastleo
12-21-2006, 08:28 PM
this tread is great!!!!
merry christmas to all

may your trikes carry you in to 2007 with speed and definately in style

God bless

jsimonh
12-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Well I got my 400ex carb "dialed in" tonight:w00t: . It seems to really like the 165 main. The throttle responce is crazy on this thing now:naughty: . With the lightened flywheel it gets up to revs in a hurry:D .

One thing I'm struggling to understand is this: If you remember earlier I asked the question about the thumb throttle being stiff, because I didn't think it was like that the first day I rode it. Well tonight it was still stiff after lubbing:wondering . As I went down in jet sizes the throttle got easier to use:wondering . I have no idea why that would be, but it's true. With the 165 main the throttle is easy and smooth to operate, but if you bump it up to a 170 the throttle gets stiff. IDK what that's about, but it also would flow gas out of the overflow with the bigger jet in it. I put the smaller jet in it, and the throttle loosened up and the gas quit leaking out:confused: .

I also got my headpipe ready for paint today. Hopefully I will get it painted and slap on the Supertrapp tommorow. If not it looks like I may have a Christmas day project:naughty: .

Yamahondaman
12-23-2006, 08:52 PM
You got's me on the "stiffness" area ... never heard of the cable getting looser with jetting .... better hope Nathan doesn't see this !!! he will add to his "left hand monkey wrench,W-D 40 Silencer,Half Link,"Rubber POWER Band" List !!
Just a Question ?? Behind the "Black" Plastic Cover on the side ,there is the little arm that pushes down the fuel "pump" plunger ............... did you mess with that any ?? HOLLARRRRRRRRRRR

jsimonh
12-23-2006, 10:10 PM
You got's me on the "stiffness" area ... never heard of the cable getting looser with jetting .... better hope Nathan doesn't see this !!! he will add to his "left hand monkey wrench,W-D 40 Silencer,Half Link,"Rubber POWER Band" List !!
Just a Question ?? Behind the "Black" Plastic Cover on the side ,there is the little arm that pushes down the fuel "pump" plunger ............... did you mess with that any ?? HOLLARRRRRRRRRRR

When I installed the carb, I did absolutly nothing to it other than take the cover off long enough to install the throttle cable. I haven't even had to mess with the idle adjustment or anything. It's running great and it seems to have the right jets, so I'm not to worried about it, but it just doesn't make sense:wondering .

thebutelr
12-24-2006, 02:29 AM
Well I got my 400ex carb "dialed in" tonight:w00t: . It seems to really like the 165 main. The throttle responce is crazy on this thing now:naughty: . With the lightened flywheel it gets up to revs in a hurry:D .

One thing I'm struggling to understand is this: If you remember earlier I asked the question about the thumb throttle being stiff, because I didn't think it was like that the first day I rode it. Well tonight it was still stiff after lubbing:wondering . As I went down in jet sizes the throttle got easier to use:wondering . I have no idea why that would be, but it's true. With the 165 main the throttle is easy and smooth to operate, but if you bump it up to a 170 the throttle gets stiff. IDK what that's about, but it also would flow gas out of the overflow with the bigger jet in it. I put the smaller jet in it, and the throttle loosened up and the gas quit leaking out:confused: .

I also got my headpipe ready for paint today. Hopefully I will get it painted and slap on the Supertrapp tommorow. If not it looks like I may have a Christmas day project:naughty: .

Man my 400ex carb does the same exact crap when I leave the gas on my fuel just runs right out the overflow tube!!!:eek:

NOS_350X
12-24-2006, 03:01 AM
Check the float system make shure its sealing off, Blow in the in line for the fuel and push the floats up to make shure its sealing off. Also the drain screw at the bottom make shure its TIGHT.

oldred95
12-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Probably just a piece of crap under the needle seat. Sometimes it will just hang up if its sat dry for a while and tapping on the carp will make it seal off too.

Sounds like you've got a pretty mean 350x. I rode a stock out of tune 350x a few years back and it was a torque monster. I just got a 200x that I'm doing a simple build on and at some point when I get time I will be heading to the sand dunes (little sahara) with it. We used to go back in the day but I haven't been there for years...

jsimonh
12-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Well I got my Supertrapp put on yesterday:w00t: . I didn't know where to start with the discs...so I left all 12 on it, and it seems to pull real good. The acceleration is good, and I'm real happy with it. But I was wondering what would happen if I droped down to like 3 or 4 disc? I read somewhere that 6-8 is like stock, so I'm just wondering. Would less discs help it pull higher gearing:wondering ? I know you guys know, so hook me up:D !

NOS_350X
12-26-2006, 03:25 AM
Less discs more torque/low rpm power More discs or No endcap (how i like it) more topend power and it pulls hard on the top rpm's.

jsimonh
12-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Now I need to figure out how to put my 14 tooth front sprocket on, and I'll be set. If I add a link, I can't get the chain tight enough, if I leave it stock length the chain is to tight:wondering . It will not adjust out right for some reason:confused: . I've been trying to locate a half link with no success. 2 auto parts stores, a John Deer place, and Altus Motorsports and I've still not found one:mad: !

okieRrider
12-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Hey man the bike is looking awesome. The crew up here in Mustang rode down there at Quartz Mountain this year on Labor Day weekend I believe, the last weekend they were open. It was a blast and will definately be a place we go back to. Looks us up here quadsbeer.proboards79.com When midwest trikers site went down we started a little one...Chris

Liquid-Darkness
12-28-2006, 01:31 PM
The bike sounds like a real power puller. I am thinking of using a 400ex carb for my 350x. Can someone PM me with some tips on which 400ex carb to use? Years that would work with my 85 350x. Its for a Honda 400ex right?
Do these things just bolt right into a stock intake boot?

jsimonh
12-28-2006, 02:36 PM
The bike sounds like a real power puller. I am thinking of using a 400ex carb for my 350x. Can someone PM me with some tips on which 400ex carb to use? Years that would work with my 85 350x. Its for a Honda 400ex right?
Do these things just bolt right into a stock intake boot?

It fits into the stock intake, but is a pain in the butt to get the airbox boot to fit. I used a pod filter on mine to eliminate that problem. I think any year 400ex carb will work. Mine is off of a 2002 model.

NOS_350X
12-28-2006, 08:46 PM
All years are the same for the 400ex, just jetting is diffrent. It wasnt too much work to get the airbox boot, just had to lube her up.

jsimonh
01-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Well I just bought me a 400ex headpipe for 10 bucks off of ebay. I couldn't resist it any longer:D . thebutelr's conversion thread along with pics of NOS's trike with the 400ex exhaust made me crazy for one! I guess I'll sell the Supertrapp setup and step up to a 400ex slip-on.

Which one do you guys recommend:wondering ? I like the looks of the red HMF on thebutelr's, but I also like the looks of the white brothers exhaust. I'll be buying one soon, so all my parts for the conversion will be in at the same time for mock up. Just need some opinions on what to get. :w00t:

NOS_350X
01-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Hmf is good, sparks are exclent pipes, but if noise and spark arrestor are concerns then the WB is probably the best choise Also Jardine has AWESOME EXHAUSTS you will not be dissapointed in them, get one with a spark arrestor and quiet core, just put in the core if you need to, and the way the bikes run you wont even tell there spark arrested.