PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Airbox Lid

tyman
11-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Alriiighty... i know, i read the jetting sticky already but i was wondering, how much of a jet increase is it when you pull the airbox lid off of a 86 200x with a mild cam.. its already running a little bit rich.. probably maybe... 1 jet higher than it should... so how far would it have to go after the airbox lid comes off????

Kintore
11-22-2006, 03:38 PM
On my Z, when I popped the lid, with a brand new stock filter I had to go 2 needle clips richer to compensate, I noticed a definite gain in power too.

try it!

tyman
11-22-2006, 04:27 PM
well i tried pulling off the airbox lid....... i have a dg exhaust on it and it got alot deeper (in sound) when i got to higher rpms.. i only took one quick lap around with it off... it didn't seem to bog.. but WOW did it go fast... i went to put the lid back on, while it was still running and it SNAPPED back into place... makes me wonder how it ever ran before being starved for air as much as it was.... and why did it get deep??? was it too much air or something????

Derrick Adams
11-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Any change in airflow will probably change the exhaust note. I wouldn't be afraid to ride it with the lid off. Throw a new plug in there and take a couple laps around the yard. If the plug looks golden brown afterwards it's probably good to go!
Most people instictively want to jet up after mods, but in reality most times its not neccessary.

sandpuppi101
11-22-2006, 08:23 PM
On a few of my raceier machine's ,I have actually took the airbox completely off and put on a K&N filter straight from the carb!!You could hear the suction draw, It is a simple hop-up,but if you bring more air in faster you have to clean it out faster also,so an exhaust is alwas a good idea,then more gas!! Jetting is an issue ,I always do a plug chop on a few plugs on major mods ,but like Derrick said ,its not always nessary !!! And if you really want to spend money you can port it,add a valve system ,up the carb...... The sky is the limit!!!!!

tyman
11-22-2006, 08:51 PM
might sound stupid but.... can you hurt your threewheeler by having too much air and not enough gas????? cause i think i'll just check the plug and run it w/o the lid unless i decide to go into deep mud...

Rennat_2006
11-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, If your air/fuel mixture isnt right your are either lean or rich. Being rich doesnt really hurt anything besides spark plugs but running it lean make it HOT. You can overheat the motor and sieze it up if it is running lean enough.