PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Progress

ccdhowell
11-21-2006, 10:48 PM
I've been making progress on my Tecate trying to make it a viable trail alternative to the oversized quads everone around here rides and to make it legal to ride on federal land.

Improvements are:
1. new rear tires, 22x12.5-10 Interco TSL/ATV
2. picked up a new kill/light switch of ebay, installed, works great
3. wired a led rear lamp
4. installed a Cobra Sparky spark arrestor on the DG type 2 silencer
5. cut and shaped an aluminum strape that bolts to the original headlight mount. Gonna get one of those 50 watt Trail Tech mini lights to put on it, just one cause the stator is stock and I believe the output is only 55 watts

Left fork seal started leaking this weekend when I rode it, now I gotta fix that.

Just a note, this weekend I switched to Castor927, great so far, but I'm concerned about it seperating in the tank. It's been 29-32 at night this week and I've parked it in the garage for fear of oil/fuel seperation. Is there any merit to this fear or am I paranoid? I'm burning regular 87 octane pump gas with octane booster.

Tecate guys chime in on my headlight choice, I'd like to know what you've done and if you've tried/seen one of those little Trail Tech lights. Don't know if I should get the spot beam or the flood beam, can't do both unless I put a 20 watt of each on. I was thinking a 35 watt spot and a 20 watt flood, I know its 55 watts, but surely the stator can handle those and the little led tail light. Don't know though.

Chris

kaseobeer2585
11-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Looking good man, I was wondering what the tecate guys were using for a headlight as well. Mines missing and I've been looking for a suitable replacement.

85ytz250n
11-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Just use both, switch between the two with a toggle switch or whatever. That way you have the flood if you need, and then the flood.

Barry

ccdhowell
11-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I was thinking I could do something like that. Wonder if I could get a hi/low beam handlebar switch that would work?

BigGreenMachine
11-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Looks great!

Headlights should be fine. Make sure to run a regulator so as not to burn out bulbs.

50:1 on synthetic will be fine and don't worry about seperation. If your that concerned then phone the manufacturer and ask about it. I run Amsoil synthetic and its fine with cold temps.

Those tires look wild! I remember 200XBasket running them on his 87 Tecate, looked really mean.

John, I agree. There has been a lot of great Tecate posts lately. You definately need a AussieDuner number plate for your project.

ccdhowell
11-22-2006, 03:39 PM
The trike has a regulator of some type, not factory, and it's running the led tail light fine, hope it holds up for a headlight.

The tires are pretty wide. I rode in sand this past weekend and they work pretty well for a mud tire. Notice the nearly straight-across bars similar to a sand paddle tire. They seemed to work well in mud too. I practiced drag runs on a sand bar in the Red River in Arkansas and spun all the way through third. Couldn't keep them from spinning. I drug, for fun, against a modded Banshee and got eaten up. I faired better against an Arctic Cat 400 quad, stayed pretty even all the way up through the gears and to the finish line. I was a bit disapointed that I didn't pull him on the top end, must be the low gearing, 11 tooth front sprocket I recently installed, keeping my top end down. otherwise I made some decent runs and the Tecate is no worse for the wear and the rider doesn't hang head from defeat. Sorry no pics, Chris

scooterroo
11-22-2006, 05:59 PM
i'm gonna try and wire up some of them lazer star billet lights. one on each side of the forks, right off the top bolt in the upper triple tree. i got an extra switch assembly off a blaster, and am thinking of trying to get that to work one way or the other. t3 is looking sweet, keep up the good job.