PDA

View Full Version : need a bit of info

PymerOne
11-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Dear all,

that little old '84 ATC125M has quite a bit of thingemagic in it that is completely new to me.
To be honest, i sofar repaired it the way my experience (aka trail of destruction) with 2strokes tought me.
Cleaning the carb, changing oil, checking spark and airflow is known turf for me.
Now for something completely different ;)
I do feel the need to change sprockets, yet for the life of me i cant figure out how.
Plz someone give me some clues.
Removed the cover of the secundairy gearselector to familiaryze myself with this exotic piece of japanese wisdom.
Is there supposed to be oil in that?
While pulling the recoilstarter i kinda feel like there is very little compression, i couldnt find any hidden decompressors.
Bro keeps telling me it has pushrod valvelifters while i suspect an overhead cam (CDI rotor is located in the cylinderhead..me thinks if something rotates there it might as well be a camshaft).
If it aint broke i dont wanna mess with it, i have a history of examining technology to death.
Lets trade....your wisdom for my stupidity.

Grtz, P1

tyman
11-20-2006, 07:48 PM
honestly, i would take a flashlight and shine in the back and see if the sprocket looks bad... they don't usually go bad... if it was mine, i wouldn't mess with it.. unless it really needed it..... just my 2 cents though....

Erics350x
11-20-2006, 10:24 PM
it has an over head cam ...no lifters or push rods.

PymerOne
11-21-2006, 03:40 AM
honestly, i would take a flashlight and shine in the back and see if the sprocket looks bad... they don't usually go bad... if it was mine, i wouldn't mess with it.. unless it really needed it..... just my 2 cents though....

Alas...this frontsprocket does look bad.
Teeth grinded down to 2 mm (supposed to be like 6mm).
I will try and shoot some pics, relax they are not as bad as the boatanchor tranny.

Grtz, P1

PymerOne
11-21-2006, 03:42 AM
it has an over head cam ...no lifters or push rods.
Thnxx for info :beer

Grtz, P1

PymerOne
11-27-2006, 05:39 AM
YIKES i really do need some info....

Q1: does the subtrans need its own oil?
Q2: how do i change the frontsprocket?

Now that the engine runs kinda relyable i do want to call the p.o.s. out in the dirt.

TIA,
Grtz, P1

Rex Karz
11-27-2006, 10:00 PM
When You can, please shox pix of you riding. I would love to see what dutch off roaders play in.

84honda200s
11-27-2006, 10:07 PM
YIKES i really do need some info....

Q1: does the subtrans need its own oil?
Q2: how do i change the frontsprocket?

Now that the engine runs kinda relyable i do want to call the p.o.s. out in the dirt.

TIA,
Grtz, P1

i believe the oile from the engine lubes the whole thing. well my 200s does anyway. theres not much diff. between the two trikes engine wise.

atctim
11-27-2006, 10:17 PM
actually there is lots different between the 200s and 125m engine (mainly a 200s does not have a sub-transmission). That hi-lo gearbox gets oil from the crankcase. You should see a port where the oil comes over onto the gears. It will not be full like an oil pan, but rather just gets the splash effect. The front sprocket is a weird looking little critter. You'll need to remove the hi-lo case - and then the main side cover. Once you get it apart - you'll see how it goes together. It is relatively simple.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~schem_dept_id~190979~section_de pt_id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~de pt_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1984~model_dept_mfr~H onda~model_dept_id~190801~model_dept_name~ATC125M. asp

look at item 9. The front sprocket is actually listed as a transmission part!

The sprocket is really expensive through Honda - but I believe is still available through aftermarket sources.

84honda200s
11-27-2006, 10:26 PM
actually there is lots different between the 200s and 125m engine (mainly a 200s does not have a sub-transmission). That hi-lo gearbox gets oil from the crankcase. You should see a port where the oil comes over onto the gears. It will not be full like an oil pan, but rather just gets the splash effect. The front sprocket is a weird looking little critter. You'll need to remove the hi-lo case - and then the main side cover. Once you get it apart - you'll see how it goes together. It is relatively simple.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~schem_dept_id~190979~section_de pt_id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~de pt_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1984~model_dept_mfr~H onda~model_dept_id~190801~model_dept_name~ATC125M. asp

look at item 9. The front sprocket is actually listed as a transmission part!

The sprocket is really expensive through Honda - but I believe is still available through aftermarket sources.

lol thanks man. i forgot about the sub trans. but i was sort of rite wasnt i ?

Sxb3646
11-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Question. You guys seem knowledgeable. I want to put a sub transmission from a 200e on to my 200s. Is this possible? If so, how can I go about making it work?