PDA

View Full Version : 250R electrical help

gravelord
11-19-2006, 04:24 PM
i ran my 250r through mud and was spinning tires a bit, then i went to shut it off and it wont turn off, i tried to use a differnt switch because i have two sets of switches, and that didnt help. does any one know what could cause this? it just stays running no matter what i do. please help thanks

Erics350x
11-19-2006, 04:49 PM
there should be a ground wire by the coil , or atleast on most bikes.

gravelord
11-19-2006, 05:58 PM
if that ground wire was wet i dont think thatd hurt any thing... besides, it was shutting off just fine earlier today, and all the other times i road it... but if by some chance water got between them and caused rust, would that make this happen? i just cant seem to figure out whats going on with this

weed
11-19-2006, 07:04 PM
just pop the clutch to kill it, much easier that wrecking your brain!!!!!!!!!

DeePa
11-20-2006, 02:04 AM
the kill switch goes into the lighting housing i think. My wiring is all spliced up there, no nice connections, and sometimes itll come loose and i have to turn the switch off, and turn the bars a bit to get it to shut off.

Mike

gravelord
11-20-2006, 06:29 PM
i went through every thing, nothing is helping. one thing thats interesting is, theres a box, i think its called a rectifyer or something, has 2 electrical wires that come from it, if i unplug it, nothing changes. could that be bad? i also already checked my ground and thats fine. man i have no idea whats wrong here..... this is driving me crazy!

ceaserthethird
11-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Try cleaning all the connections , and the ground ...

i just cleaned my Stator plate , i didn't see a Ground Wire on it ( like mention above) but clean it ...

are any of the Kill switches new ?

What year is your 250R ?

gravelord
11-20-2006, 07:05 PM
the ground wire is the one im talking about thats all the way to the back towards the grab bar. i cleaned the connections and reconnected them all. after all else failed, i replaced the switches with a new stock set that i had sitting around. still didnt work. i cut the wires to my halogen lights, in which one stopped working previously, i did this to make sure there was no short to the lights. still didnt work. its a 85' 250r.... boy this has got me flustered. i cant figure it out.

ceaserthethird
11-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah i have same problems , but mine get's no spark .... I washed mine after a trail ride .....

Gee eletrical problems are a pain !

gravelord
11-20-2006, 09:18 PM
hehe cant help ya with that one
BUT, how about this guys - back to my problem.... i have powder coated handle bars, inside the stock switch assembly, someone told me that has to ground out against the handle bars to shut the bike off. should i file down the powder coating on my handle bars and see if thats thep roblem? does any one else think this may be the problem??? please let me know, this sounds like it might be the one!

ceaserthethird
11-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Well it wouldn't make sense if you had the powder coated handle bars on previous to this electrical problem and it was working fine ....( you could try it )

Did you check the wires make sure theirs no cut's in them ... may be it's grounding out...

Pain's & Pain's

gravelord
11-20-2006, 10:00 PM
but is it true, that the stock switch assembly needs to ground to the handle bars? and it would make sense if it was a very bad connection to begin with.

Erics350x
11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
on some models yes they ground at the switch . i'd try it.

gravelord
11-20-2006, 10:42 PM
thanks for the info eric, i needed that bit of support. made me feel at least a little better. definately trying this when i come home from work tomorrow

DeePa
11-20-2006, 10:49 PM
i wouldnt go and strip the powder coat off for nothing. Mount it on a pipe or old bars or something.

I am pretty sure the green wire is ground, which is grounded to the frame, not the bars. its worth a shot to check, but dont trash your nice new bars over it.

Mike

gravelord
11-20-2006, 11:00 PM
they are cheap 30 dollar bars, what i was going to do was take the stock switch assmebly off, and touch them to the triple clamps and see if it turns off. thanks for thinking of my nice new 30 dollar bars though dee :-)

DeePa
11-20-2006, 11:06 PM
OK, here is a pic of the wiring diragram. You will see the green wire go off with an arrow just before the ignition coil. That is your frame ground.

I dont see it grounding at the switch to the bars.

Mike

gravelord
11-20-2006, 11:13 PM
ok well, since green is ground, i could ground the switch out or i could use the green wire, ill try both things out tomorrow, i was informed by moshman that the switch doesnt ground at the handle bars though. im going to try to mess with it more tomorrow and ill let you guys know what happens im going to bed now, good night 3ww.......

Mosh
11-20-2006, 11:17 PM
the black and white wire from your on off switch completes the circuit to shut the bike off when you switch it to off.it contacts the green wire inside the switch.the green wire is always grounded.i doubt you lost the ground,cuz your lites were working and they share the frame ground.near the goose neck,you need to make sure that black and white wire is connected to the green wire on the frame harness.you can also,hook a test lite to ground on your frame and touch the black and white wire near the on off switch while it is running,this should kill the bike.if so,it is just a matter of finding the open circuit. you say you tried 2 different switches. you can prolly rule that out.but i have seen a few 250rs loose that connection near the gooseneck,especially if they are not running the stock light and harness.which i know you no longer have;)

XTrumpX
11-20-2006, 11:20 PM
What moshman355 said...LOL

gravelord
11-21-2006, 09:52 PM
boy, what a pain in the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*...... 2 green wires goto the stock headlight housing, with 2 other wires.... thats where the ground wire meets right there. and that is why my bike wouldnt shut off, because those two werent connected togather. which makes not much sense to me, because i could get sparks by loosening and tightening the ground wire where it connects to the frame in the back of the bike well the bike was running - so why the hell wouldnt it shut off with those 2 green wires connected? boy thats a mystery to me.

Rex Karz
11-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Run an extra wire to the switch from a good chassis ground. Don't mangle your paint.