PDA

View Full Version : Smoking from starter/starter wires-125m

85hondaatc125m
11-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Well, the past couple of weeks I have noticed that where my startor wires meet the startor is smoking REALLY bad, If you have it running it will fill your face totally with smoke. Im afraid to have it running because I dont want to wreck anything, does anybody know what the problem might be? Is this a commom problem? And how can it be fixed? And it is on my 1985 ATC 125m.

Erics350x
11-18-2006, 09:41 PM
i would say you starter is sticking or your grounding out somewhere

85hondaatc125m
11-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Here is where the smoke is coming from, the part circled in green.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/Shotgun38/my_trike31.jpg

85hondaatc125m
11-18-2006, 09:43 PM
i would say you starter is sticking or your grounding out somewhere
How might I be able to check that, just run through the wires and what? Sorry, im still getting the hang of small engine and such. If the startor was sticking wouldnt it be making some dort of noise? I listened to it and didnt hear any noise coming from it.

Unclediezel
11-18-2006, 09:43 PM
does it smoke even if you pull start it?

85hondaatc125m
11-18-2006, 09:49 PM
yea, it is still smoking even if you pull start it.

troy
11-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Sounds to me like it's shorted out some wheres. but where, and the funny thing is it only happends when it's started.:wondering never heard of that before, unless the starter is stuck and turning with your engine and creating a some what of a generator and theres a short some wheres.

traxxasx
11-18-2006, 10:58 PM
WHat does it smell like? I would idmedialty disconnect your battery and run it and see if it still smokes.

bigreddaddy
11-19-2006, 01:37 AM
WHat does it smell like? I would idmedialty disconnect your battery and run it and see if it still smokes.

I second this. Unhook the battery before your whole bike goes up in flames. Then check for burnt wires and trace them down.
Check your starter relay.

Howdy
11-19-2006, 06:47 AM
My first thought here is there is something wrong with the starting wiring / solenoid and possibly other as well.

If the starter relay / starter switch wiring is working properly, then it should isolate the starter motor when the starter isn't being used. The relay is basically a heavy duty elecro switch that allows a massive direct flow of electric to the reach the starter. If something is causing the relay to engage while the motor is running, then the starting system wiring can / will overheat.

Is the battery good and charged properly?
Does it hold a charge? Or does it seem to go dead when you run the machine?

With the battery connected and charged:
Does the starter engage when you turn the key on and without hitting the starter button?
If this is what happens, then your wiring / starter button for the starter relay is most likely at fault.
If this is the case find the starter relay under the rear fenders / seat and unplug the connection. Then start the machine and see what happens. I have seen the wires to the starting system get pinched. The wires made contact and engaged the starter all the time when the key was on.

The fix: Make sure all the wiring connections are connected properly. If the battery cables and starter wire are connected properly, then test the relay, starter button, and wiring from the button to the relay. Once you isolate the problem you can fix it.
Howdy

Erics350x
11-19-2006, 10:14 AM
also look for signs that someone has monkeyed with trhe wiring like tape or added wires . i'm betting on the starter wire grounding or the starter itself is messed up .

85hondaatc125m
11-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Well, I will do everything you guys have said, ill go over the wiring check it out, run it with the battery unhooked.
The battery is a very good battery and it will always hold a charge. And when I turn the key the starter doesnt crank at all.

3 weelin geezer
11-19-2006, 10:55 PM
But if he runs it (gen supplying power to electrical system) then it will still smoke and still be shorted out so whats the point in removing the battery? Shouldn't he take the starter out and find out whats shorted or stuck before he ends up burning the wiring more or damaging something else?

traxxasx
11-19-2006, 10:57 PM
But if he runs it (gen supplying power to electrical system) then it will still smoke and still be shorted out so whats the point in removing the battery? Shouldn't he take the starter out and find out whats shorted or stuck before he ends up burning the wiring more or damaging something else?

Im saying take the battery off before he burns it all up. He has to start it to see if the battery was grounded out onto the fram from the starter or somthing.