PDA

View Full Version : atc 70 carb

adamsj13
11-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I finally got spark back :-) What I am having problems with now is the carb,. With the choke on it will idle normal and I can give it gas and will stay running. When I take the choke off it will die. If I try to give gas it will die. It sounds as if it’s drowning. I took the carb apart and cleaned it. The small jet looked a little clogged. I used the compressed air to clean it out. Spark plug is new. New points, condenser and stator. I’ve tried to adjust the air screw when running and didn't seem to help much. Any help is greatly appreciated

Erics350x
11-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Did you clean out the petcock? Also try running it with the gas cap off.

TravEX
11-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Which does it run best, with the choke lever up or down? What year? Can you drain the bowl and get a good stream of gas?

adamsj13
11-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Which does it run best, with the choke lever up or down? What year? Can you drain the bowl and get a good stream of gas?

Hi, Petcock is clean. Good stream of gas coming out. It runs better with the chocke lever going horizontal. I Just tried to move the needle down one and now it has a hard time staying at idle. It is currently on the 3 notch and was on the 4th.

TravEX
11-18-2006, 11:21 PM
When the choke lever is up (horizontal), the choke is on. Your jets are clogged up. It took me an hour and half a can of cleaner to get mine clean enough to run right. Thoroughly clean every passage, jet, and adjustment screw. My pilot was completly occluded. Make sure the air filter is clean and no leaks around the intake or carb. The needle is not the problem, the 3rd notch should be right though. The motor is not getting any gas because of the clogged jets, so it doesn't need any air, that's the reason it will only run with the choke on. The choke normally creates a rich mixture for easier start ups.

Travis

KASEY
11-19-2006, 12:14 AM
I Just tried to move the needle down one and now it has a hard time staying at idle. It is currently on the 3 notch and was on the 4th.

the needle has NO effect on idle at all. your pilot jet is probably plugged up, the filter behind the petcock is the most important piece on the carb,,,

TravEX
11-19-2006, 12:23 AM
I forgot about that too, Kasey, also add 2 in-line filters for added protection. I used the cheap red lawn mower ones.

adamsj13
11-19-2006, 12:41 AM
I pulled the carb apart again. Everything looks good. I took carb cleaner throught the jets and see clearly throguh them all. The screen filter behind the petcock was clean and carb cleaner passes through with out any problems. I also soaked both Jets in carb cleaner. I moved the needle back to the 3rd position. Still same issues. Fuel lines are clean? I will get 2 inline filters for more protection.

I did replace the Stator, points, and condenser. Would any of this make it not run with the choke off?

adamsj13
11-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Any other Ideas?