PDA

View Full Version : Help with Points

adamsj13
11-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi all, I'm having problems gapping points. First I don't know how. Iread my book but not understanding how its done. I looked at this diagram
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/dratv_1924_15727409
and still not understanding. Its on a atc 70, and the f marking on the flywheel I have to hold it there or it will rotate to the T. Is that normal? Then when I loosen the base plate locking screw and try to gap, its hard to get the gap adjuster to fit between the point contacts. Please if someone can explain how to adjust points. Thanks all and I really appreciate your help

Erics350x
11-18-2006, 07:00 PM
turn the engine over till the points are open, then loosen the screw and slide a match book cover in the gap and tighten then screw.

dufrain
11-18-2006, 07:12 PM
You have to take off the starting ring on the flywheel and do it through the slot in the flywheel.The valve springs are pushing on the lobe of the cam,thats what makes the flywheel want to move a little more.You are setting the points while the little rub block is on the highest point on the lobe on the inside of the flywheel.You use a small screwdriver inserted in those 2 little slots and twist to open or close the gap.I use the the little kd brand feeler gauge to set mine.One you see how it all works its pretty simple.

adamsj13
11-18-2006, 07:24 PM
You have to take off the starting ring on the flywheel and do it through the slot in the flywheel.The valve springs are pushing on the lobe of the cam,thats what makes the flywheel want to move a little more.You are setting the points while the little rub block is on the highest point on the lobe on the inside of the flywheel.You use a small screwdriver inserted in those 2 little slots and twist to open or close the gap.I use the the little kd brand feeler gauge to set mine.One you see how it all works its pretty simple.

When I rotate the flywheel, the points stay closed. What would make it stay closed?

Erics350x
11-18-2006, 07:26 PM
adjust them in till theyre alittle open so you can see them move. it sounds like they slipped closed

dufrain
11-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Because you have them locked down too far away from the flywheel it sounds like.Remove that starting ring so you can see in those flywheel slots.Shine a flashlight in there so you can see that lobe on the center of the flywheel.If you are using old points the rubbing block may be worn away so its too short to open the points at all.Start out with new ones if you dont have them.

adamsj13
11-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Finally got it. Thanks all