PDA

View Full Version : 87 200X clone

atctim
11-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi all - wanted to share my latest project. It's going to be my primary trail bike and everyday rider. It is a 1986 200X. Should be great for flinging it around in the woods and tight trails. I am actually making a clone 87 out of it - IE red swinger - 87 decals. Anyway, here are a few pics. I will be done pretty soon. Need to finish my gas tank - needs painted and decaled, then clear-coated. I need front fork boots of some sort or another, and I am going to get a custom seat made from the Mosh's.

I wanted to highlight the red powder coated swinger. A friend of mine build a sandblaster and powder coat oven, bought all the stuff needed and is kind of getting into the business on the side. PM me for more details if you wish - he is cheap and seems to know what he is doing. <(this is not an ad)

Anyway - here are a few pics - I dig the rear LED tail light. I think it matches this trike very well.

Liquid-Darkness
11-15-2006, 12:39 PM
That would be a cool trail bike. They run prety good.

aquapunk
11-15-2006, 12:56 PM
200x's make awesome trail bikes, thats all i used mine for

Sargon2112
11-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Pretty sweet trike man... I dig the tail light too!

tyman
11-15-2006, 06:16 PM
hey.. i have a question.. how is your taillight wired.... being an LED.... i recently made a post and people said i couldn't use leds on an 86 200x without buying a rectifier or something, or having a battery... so whats it wired through????

atctim
11-15-2006, 07:36 PM
you can wire LEDs up to any 12 volt electrical system - just like a normal 12V light. Auto, motorbike, ATV no matter what. You just have to keep in mind - LEDs are like a diode, in the sense that current only flows one way - thus if you wire it backwards - it will not work. I have and LED tailight on my brothers 200S and on my girlfriends autoX.

tyman
11-15-2006, 08:44 PM
thanks... that clears up alot of questions for me...

cragster
11-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Cool Tim! IS that my old swinger and shock on it?? looks like a nice project

atctim
11-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Cragster - it is your old swinger and shock. And I am working on finishing that tank of yours too. It is so much nicer than the original - THANKS!

cragster
11-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Lol ya im glad to see you putting them parts to good use.
But now i want to know why did you buy them off me!!!
I wish you woulda said CRAIG YOUR STUPID!!! KEEP YOUR 200X BECAUSE YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!!!
Next time i ever get the idea to part something out.. just tell me that im being a retard lol

atctim
12-18-2006, 11:55 PM
I am sure you can see where I am going with this now. Almost complete - wanted to show a few more pics - Harlan does such nice work!!!

To do -
Kreem tank
Finish white tank shrouds
Finish Tank Decals
Mosh Seat

should be it.

Looking for opinions on this 87 clone......is this a stupid idea?
Is this a cool idea?

This trike will be ridden, not a garage queen by far! I didn't sweat the little details as you would with a garage queen.

atctim
12-18-2006, 11:58 PM
here is what it looked like when I got it.....

It was stored outside it's whole life- poor little trike. It has a nice warm home now;)

sandpuppi101
12-19-2006, 12:07 AM
I tell you what Tim ,you are doing a fabulous job on that machine,if you remember rite , I did up a 350X dressed up with the '87 decals and a few more options ,and I customized a bit. That one is a garage queen now but I am glad I did it that way ,as you should be,but I am glad to see you are gonna ride it ,I just have to build another 350X for this year!!!

Aussieduner
12-19-2006, 12:08 AM
I am sure you can see where I am going with this now. Almost complete - wanted to show a few more pics - Harlan does such nice work!!!

To do -
Kreem tank
Finish white tank shrouds
Finish Tank Decals
Mosh Seat

should be it.

Looking for opinions on this 87 clone......is this a stupid idea?
Is this a cool idea?

This trike will be ridden, not a garage queen by far! I didn't sweat the little details as you would with a garage queen.

Are you painting the red shrouds ?

Aussie

brapp
12-19-2006, 12:16 AM
THER EIS A NICE SET OF 87 SHOUDS ON EBAY RIGHT NOW CHEAPPPP

but unlike you i am buildign an axtual 87200x.i got my greedy lil hand son just need an airbox and a gastank caus ethe oen i ahve was molested toobad.

Aussieduner
12-19-2006, 02:32 AM
[QUOTE=brapp]THER EIS A NICE SET OF 87 SHOUDS ON EBAY RIGHT NOW CHEAPPPP

Painted white hence the cheap price.

Aussie

rassagmc
12-19-2006, 04:58 PM
besides the decals and the key ignition, are there any other differences between the 87 200X and the 86?

atctim
12-19-2006, 05:33 PM
87 had a red swing arm and the 86 was grey. That is all as far as I know.

Mosh
12-19-2006, 05:44 PM
here is what it looked like when I got it.....

It was stored outside it's whole life- poor little trike. It has a nice warm home now;)lol.still trying to figure out what made a nice warm home in that seat:lol: .wow!!! got my hands full with this seat:eek: .i like the trike though Tim.and btw,happy B-day