PDA

View Full Version : Blowing fork seals due to bad metal slides? Or is it just normal?

Kintore
11-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey guys,

Ive blown my 2nd set of fork seals already, I replaced them right before TF this year and they helf for awhile then blew out last month. I used versah seals, with 20 wt oil and I know I installed them correct. Had the right amount of oil, with no air in the fork.

I also did my other Tri Z and now 1 of them is blown too. I know brandon blew 2 sets on his R as well.

I was talking to some people and they said bad bushings/ metal slides may cause this because it puts excess pressure on the seal causing it to stretch in ways its not suppose too. Im wondering if this is true or not, or is it just a part of owning a trike with front forks.

Thanks for the help, im talking about number 14 on here. And, how often you guys blow yours? on the 85/86 250rs and Z's.

And, will no fork boots enable crap to get to your seals and screw them? I have no boots on right now.
Clicky here (http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~schem_dept_id~636770~section_de pt_id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~de pt_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1986~model_dept_mfr~Y amaha~model_dept_id~632533~model_dept_name~YTZ250S .asp)

Billy Golightly
11-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Yes, worn out fork bushing can cause the seals to blow easier. As can rusty or rough chrome fork tubes that just wear away the seal. Honestly after changing the seals in my Z forks twice in a year that was a main motivator for me going inverts :)

Kintore
11-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks billy, im going to invest in some covers and replace the seals and see how it goes. Maybe new bushings as well.

atctim
11-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Kintore -

Just my opinion, but not having the fork boots over to somewhat protect them, I would think pre-mature wear would be normal. The manufacturers did put them there for a functional reason. When riding in muddy conditions, some crud has to get in there, and this would wear them out like a rusty or rough tube. I have also heard that after a muddy ride, you can take a roll of 35mm photo film and cut a hook shape in one end. This can then be slide down in the wiper to kind of "fish" out the crud. I have never tried this method so I have no 1st hand experience. But this came from a reall reputable bike mechanic.

TimSr
11-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Rust pits on the fork tubes are the most common cause. Mine were bent all to heck before I changed them last year, and they still had the original unleaking seals in them.

Also, I would advise to stay away from Vesrah seals, and use OEM Yamaha fork seals. Vesrah stuff is okay for non-critical applications, but I've found their brakes, clutches, and some other parts to be of far inferior quality to the OEM.

Bryan Raffa
11-14-2006, 11:57 PM
from time to time I pull up the top wiper seal and blast it out in there, It helps in premature failure.

Kintore
11-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys, im ordering OEM seals this time around, and those are some good tips!