PDA

View Full Version : Would an 84 ATC250R suit my needs?

GPracer2500
11-13-2006, 03:46 PM
A bit of background: I primarily ride sand dunes (ISDRA in the winter and Coral Pink in the summer) at intermediate+ pace. I've been riding a modded 400EX for the last few seasons. At the end of last season I picked up a 95' CR250R for duning. Fell in love with two-wheeling through the dunes and sold the 400EX. Now I want something else mostly for night riding and just as a break from the two wheeler. I don't have much to spend (a YFZ450 is what I really want) so I'm thinking ATC. I wouldn't need to be the fasted guy out there when riding the ATC but I'd need to be able to keep up a brisk pace.

I'm trying to find a clean 85-86 that I can afford. But would an 84' offer adaquate performance? I'm mostly concerned about suspension and chassis. How big a jump is there between the 84 and 85/86.

Should I hold out for an 86 or is there not enough difference between 85 and 86? Does the round slide carb on the 85 hold it back any?

Just looking for advice as I've never ridden a three wheeler through the dunes. Actually, the only two three wheelers I've ever ridden where an ATC70 about a zillion years ago and a clapped-out 81 or 82 a few years ago.

Thanks for your time!

Dammit!
11-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Strong running air coolers have plenty enough pep to keep up in the dunes.

There's not enough difference for you to turn down an 85 and wait for an 86. Flat slide carbs are a dime a dozen on ebay.