PDA

View Full Version : "X" Theory - UPDATE

atctim
11-13-2006, 10:34 AM
I am giving my 86 200X a quick make-over. While tearing down - I have come to a conclusion. As we all know - the 86 & 87 200X was the only 3 wheeler Honda made with a square tube frame. That was ahead of it's time. The design of the rear fenders indicate some design changes too - with their "New" sleek lines that all other ATC's lacked. It also appears to me the 86 & 87 engines may have been designed for to accept an electric starter. Much the same design as later model 300EX's with Electric Start. There seems to be electric start mounting tabs and the engine case seem to have a cylindrical indentation exactly where the starter motor would go.

Hmmm.kinda makes you think....A year or two later and I can conclude that an 88 or 89 200X would have most likely had Electric Start.

thefox
11-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Does it share the same case as the trx200sx, which is electric start?

Sargon2112
11-13-2006, 11:29 AM
The TR200 FatCats had electric start (86 and 87)... TR200 and the 200X engines were very similar in other respects as well... Wonder if they had the same engine cases? That would explain the mounting tabs you pointed out...? Just my 2 cents...

I have a complete spare TR200 engine that is partially torn down... I'll drag it out and compare it to your pics atctim. I'll post my findings...

atctim
11-13-2006, 06:14 PM
I have noticed something else I have never seen on an ATC. There is a rubber hose (approx 1" OD) running from the engine head to the frame - the front main spur. Anybody know what this is for?????

blue27
11-13-2006, 06:21 PM
The hose is a breather, to relieve top end pressure the TRX250Xs have them. I was told the main reason frames were made from square tubing is that at the time it was easier to program robotic welders to weld straight lines instead of trying to weld around round tube.

hrc200x
11-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Kinda strange how Honda does things, I know on a '85 350x case behind the cyclinder there are two hex shaped holes if I remember correctly, in '86 those holes are threaded and used to hold the rear clutch cable guide thing. Also, trx 250x and 350x motors appear similar, you can see in a 250x where oil cooler lines would have went.

erectordale
11-13-2006, 09:13 PM
I have a fatcat engine here and 200x the center cases are the same. the side case and flywheel are differant and would take a starter 200x with electric start thats so do-able

Sargon2112
11-13-2006, 10:01 PM
erectordale ain't kiddin', it is very do-able... I just came in from looking at my FatCat engine. That would be pretty slick... too bad I don't have a 200X to try it on lol...

By the way, the hose at the head of the engine is a breather yes, but it also serves as somewhat of an oil cooler. So says the service manual. I have to say, the TR200 is one heck of a good engine... mine took ALOT of abuse when I was a teenager and she still fires up and runs like a champ. She's got an easy life now though... she earned it. Keep the oil changed in them and they will last a long time... I'm sure the same goes for the X.

atctim
11-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Another 86 200X find worthy or noting. While going over the wiring, I found a few wires under the headlight that go no where - brown and (white???? maybe - can not remember right now). At any rate - these wires are without a doubt for the keyed ignition that came in 1987. This will be a slick upgrade on my 86 model. A keyed Ignition - SAWEEET!!!! I'll post pics when I get a keyed switch wired up. Should be this weekend!

Lomax
11-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Altough I am not going to say what is secretly going on in the Lomax Lab what you are playing around with is Extremely Close. To my knowledge what I am doing has never been done. You have the right idea with the electric start, It is possible.. I have said to much already...........

Sargon2112
11-22-2006, 02:55 PM
AtcTim,

If you need any wiring details for the FatCat, let me know... I have a spare harness and service manual to pull from...

random-strike
11-22-2006, 06:46 PM
i wish i had a fatcat

sandpuppi101
11-22-2006, 07:10 PM
I just rebuilt a '86 TRX 200SX and when I had an issue on finding a part ,I cross referenced over to the 200X for parts !! The topends were the same ,I believe all internals were on those 2 units,other than the kicker and flywheel gear!! The outer cases were set up to work on the atc and trx ,thus the sx cases were set up for eletric and x with the kick!! You could actually call it a 6 speed small block honda motor!!!

jason 32
11-22-2006, 07:11 PM
so call a salvage yard and buy a damn motor - there you go should bolt right in ,and i think its a 6 speed

hrc200x
11-22-2006, 07:15 PM
350x's and early 200x's also have those same un-used wires under the headlight, its for optional equipment, for instance the lights for a speedo might plug in there, Might want to test light them to see if they come on with the headlight switch before you plug a ignition into them.

Lomax
11-29-2006, 05:31 PM
the 86 200X is is a 6 speed but the TRX200SX is a 5-speed with reverse.

sandpuppi101
11-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah Lomax you are absolutely Correct on that ,and after I replied to that I realized that I did not clarify myself!! When I cross reference I was talking about internal engine components and such!! The trx and atc are deffintaly different and I should have been more clear ,but many of the engine components do cross reference over to one another,My Bad!!!

Lomax
11-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah Lomax you are absolutely Correct on that ,and after I replied to that I realized that I did not clarify myself!! When I cross reference I was talking about internal engine components and such!! The trx and atc are deffintaly different and I should have been more clear ,but many of the engine components do cross reference over to one another,My Bad!!!

thats fine, I wasnt trying to be an ass or anything, I know that alot of the external parts will interchange, what all internal parts are you talking about that will also swap around?