PDA

View Full Version : painting tank

mean350
11-13-2006, 09:24 AM
im getting ready to paint the tank on my 350x. i got it down to bare metal.,... can i use body putty on it for the dents. i will be using the pj1 paint with the primer paint and clear coat. will this hold up? thanks

Mr. Clean
11-13-2006, 09:59 AM
You can use putty on bare metal, but I would rough up the area with 60-80 grit paper. I am not sure what type of primer you have, but with bare metal you either need an etching primer or epoxy primer(not spray can). I am going to have to say that the anything that comes out of a spray can is not going to hold up very well. On the other hand you certainly dont want to leave the tank in bare metal.

vintagemotorsports
11-13-2006, 10:01 AM
you need to pull all the dents as much as possible I would not use more than 1/8 inch body filler as far as depth max or you will have problems later on. you need to rough up the bare stell with 80 grit for a good bond, once the filler is feathered out you need to use a surfacer primer that will fill any scratch marks in the filler and then wet sand that out with a 400 grit using a block to get it flat . might have to do this a few time to get it perfect, then the primer needs to be sealed with a sealer then topcoated with a base coat and then 3 coats of urethane clear, thats the best way to paint a tank other ways may work for a short time but they wont last , Mike