PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha YTM 200L Wiring Help

timex69
11-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey
Im wiring up my 1984 Yamaha 200L and I definately need some help. Now before you tell me to check the wiring diagrams on the homepage, They're no help. It seems I have a different CDI Box then shown on bikebandit.com. I have a 4 prong and a 3 prong box coming out the CDI. I have a 4 prong box and 1 single wire with a male/female connector end coming from the stator. I have a 4 prong box coming from the Voltage Regulator. Can someone tell me what got mixed up over the years and what is original. Anyone with another 1984 YTM 200L to help cross reference would be perfect.

timex69
11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
I was out looking and I got the serial numbers off the electrical to help whoever's reading this out. The CDI box reads 24W-20
3604 and it has a 4 prong and 3 prong connector box coming out of it.

The coil has F6T509 written on it and an old wire that all the colour coating has fell off so I have no idea what kind it is.

The Voltage regulator, which my rig isnt even supposed to have and I cannot get the bolts out to see the serial number has a 4 prong connector box with 4 wires, the colours are red, red/yellow, black and white.

Thanks in advanced
Alex

Unclediezel
11-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Someone else here had this problem also.....

Is this electric start? If not you shouldnt have a voltage regulator.....--

First three digits of your Vin ----(I'm not being Nosey---Just the first Three)

Unclediezel
11-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Beat me to it------Is that what is also on the frame?

thefox
11-06-2006, 06:41 PM
The 24w part # is for the 200E (electric start, shaft drive)
The 21v part # is for the 200 (chain drive)

Some parts interchange and share part #'s but the CDI is not one of them. You have a 200E CDI, the voltage regulator is for the 200E as well (none on the 200). The ignition coil is the same between the 200E and 200, it bolts on the frame to be grounded and has 1 wire that connects to the wiring harness.

timex69
11-07-2006, 07:55 AM
My motor serial numbers start with 21V, its a 1984 Yamaha 200L. Right on Im glad I got the second opinion that im not supposed to have a voltage regulator.

Now What should the CDI Box for my bike look like (what wires etc should their be). Can you tell me by the description ive given do I have the stator off an L or will it need to be changed.

Can someone tell me where I could get a wiring harness and a cdi box for a 200L. Ive been checking ebay forever and nothing.

Unclediezel
11-07-2006, 07:47 PM
21v is an 83 YTM 200k

If you wanna rig something it can be done with what you have....
What doesnt work, Does it run, Does it have aftermarket lights installed?-(This would explain the regulator. I remember someone else with a "Non-MAtching " wiring diagram, And It all worked out in the end.....If you need it, I can post the wiring diagrams from Haynes, -If you start from ground Zero--It will work out.

timex69
11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
i dont know, since im missing alot of the proper wires id just like to get it rigged with the original stuff but I have no idea what its supposed to have.

the old harness (garbaged) had open wires and splices here and their it was just rough. I think mabe its best if I just keep looking for a cdi box and a harness. Im just having a hard time finding them.

Alex

Unclediezel
11-07-2006, 08:46 PM
This is what it should be----

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/YTM200KLN.jpg

timex69
11-08-2006, 02:16 PM
is the ytm 200L supposed to have a nutral light.

thefox
11-08-2006, 07:20 PM
is the ytm 200L supposed to have a nutral light.

no, it does not

troy
11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
i dont know, since im missing alot of the proper wires id just like to get it rigged with the original stuff but I have no idea what its supposed to have.

the old harness (garbaged) had open wires and splices here and their it was just rough. I think mabe its best if I just keep looking for a cdi box and a harness. Im just having a hard time finding them.

Alex

AH YES the classic boucher job. Mine is the same way. When i bought it there was every thing on it. Lights every where, back up beeper on it, hand warmers, thumb warmer, wires cut, taped, no fuse on it (none that i found yet) , relay gone (which it suppost to prevent me from starting it in gear). so this winter when theres snow for me to ride my ski doo on, i'm planning on striping every singal wire out exept for the CDI and coil wires (still in great shape). As of right now till i have it rewired i WILL NOT leave my bike in the garage with the battery hooked up, don't trust it.

timex69
11-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Okay a few more questions:

What I have is a on off switch from a YTM 200EK/EL. I have removed the Brown wire and the red and white wire because that is the starter. Now the colors for the lights are all the same but thier is an additional wire on this switch. It is a black and blue wire...what is it and where does it go?

I appreciate all the help guys.