PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say HI, thanks for the site ...

3wheelCanuck
04-11-2003, 12:34 PM
I must be one of those guys approaching the midlife crisis... I grew up on a Honda ATC 110, and now that I have an acreage and kids of my own, I'm purchasing a 1985? ATC 200M from my neighbour to let the kids ride, and to use for some utility work around the place with a small trailer...

Am looking forward to some evening rides around the country side myself.

Question for the other parents...

I understand the danger of the 3 wheel design, learned myself from the school of hard knocks how to tip one and launch myself off the ATC 110.

Do you think that the 3 wheeler is still safer than a 2 wheeled motorcycle for young riders to learn on. I'm planning to only allow my 15 year old to drive unsupervised on my acreage, and to teach the 12 year old to drive slowly in 1st and 2nd gear under close supervision for this summer. Neither will be allowed passengers until I see that they fully understand how to control the trike and operate it safely.

Passenger rides will be limited to "< 10 MPH" putts around the yard.

Any other suggestions for how to teach the kids to respect the machine?

I'll post some pics of my trike when I get it.. I was over at the neighbours last nite and was impressed with the fact that not only did he get the machine out of the shed where it was stored for 2 years (He's moved on to 4 x 4 quads for his hunting now).

He had to drain the gas and put fresh gas in to get the machine running, and last night was busy dis-assembling the rear brakes. Looks like we'll put new pads in. He's painting the rack for me (It was pretty rusty), and will also check and lube the chain.

The motor is really solid, started on first pull last nite, idles nicely with no smoke and revs smoothly.

I'll check out the tranny when I get a chance to test ride it.

By the time I get the trike it will be good to ride for the summer, and at some point down the road, I'll deal with the front shock boot that is tore, and with replacing the fenders. (All of which are pretty crunched and held together now with some rawhide lacing)

Thanks to the site hosts, this place provided some valueable information, when I was considering the purchase, and I look forward to some great dialog with the people here ...

Lyle.

Mobular
04-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Welcome, Lyle!
Glad to hear you'll be teachin the youngins to respect the machine. I hope that you will also make the use of safety gear mandatory. Learing the hard way is not the best way, trust me on this one! For parts, try posting your wants here, at any of the other trike sites, or check out Ebay.
Good luck!

84250r
04-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Welcome Lyle! 8)

ATC crazy
04-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the site!

wanta250r
04-11-2003, 10:38 PM
I am 15 and started out riding on a 200x. Only had trouble when I tried to do a donut and a 200m should be a better handler than a 200x. You shouldn't have trouble with your kid riding unsupervised. Just let him know that it is dangerous to fool around in and don't take any chances.

Just my two cents. )

moe
04-11-2003, 11:10 PM
hay lyle good to hear from the west,it's moe from arnprior,ontario.this is a great site and the guys here love to help out with inof,i got 4 atc's and if you ride smart thay are safe!!!! my boy is only 2 year old i can't wait for him to ride a 110 i fix up for him.

3WheelsForever
04-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Hey Lyle. Welcome to the Forums.

Trikeaholic
04-11-2003, 11:59 PM
my son, now 3, has been riding with me on trikes since he was 8 months old. He has a tri zinger, and a KX80 with a pro-design 3 wheel conversion. that I am trying to teach him to ride.(the zinger) He did tip it over last weekend by turning too fast, but I was right there to catch him. I always have to pull the leash on him to cut the engine, he is a speed freak. He would rather ride with me than ride his own. Its crazy. I dont think trikes are any more dangerous than any other form of motorized recreation. that is a myth. Ive ridden them for years, and grew up around them. My son will too.

3wheelCanuck
04-12-2003, 12:23 AM
Already busy posting my first trouble shooting questions...

I'm looking forward to using "Ol Red"

Lyle.