PDA

View Full Version : 200X differences over the years

G-Ram
11-03-2006, 07:11 PM
I recently bought a 200X from a friend, only thing is that the motor is not "right" so to speak. The motor is from a 200S, and i want to ditch that POS. damn the trike is slow with this motor, i got smoked by a 250R (air cooled, not liquid) that never went higher than 3rd gear :cry: So my question is, would any old 200X motor work? i don't know the year of my trike, (its a frankentrike, lots of mix-matched parts) so i don't know what to do. Does the year really matter?

super90
11-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Is the frame round of square? If its square the 86-87 engine will work but good luck finding one. And the older ones were round frames with completely different engines.

G-Ram
11-03-2006, 08:40 PM
that sucks...i can't remember if my trike's frame is round or square. It's at a friend's shop where i've been working on it so i can't just look at it...from what i can remeber without actually looking at my own trike, the frame looks like this one

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=59104

PowerTech
11-03-2006, 08:50 PM
sounds like you have a round tube 200X to me.

you are going to get burned by 250r's no mater what you do.

the 200x and 200s motors run about the same to me.i dont know for sure but i think they are identical. i am sure i will be corected . besides not having a hand clutch and kick start. maYbe a different cam shaft profile? and i think the carb. if the carb is different swap it out to the X carb. i can't remember.

make sure the old girl has compresion and the cam shaft is not worn out.

if the motor is in strong condition and with the rite sprokets a 200s motor will cruise along prety good .

get a XR200 dirt bike cam and a cobra pipe and K&N airfilter rejet and sproket it. slap some new rings in it a run the $#it out of it . to hell with the 250r you will never catch that thing.

that bike will grow on you. i wish i still had mine.

G-Ram
11-03-2006, 08:59 PM
ya, i knew that there was no way my trike would keep up with an R, but i thought maybe a 200X motor would at least keep up a little better, but i don't know, never ridden one before haha...the pipe on it is a custom deal, me and a friend made it one long weekend. No muffler, but no worries, i rejetted it :crazy: runs good, sounds awesome ( i can live with the cops stopping by my house once and i while, i don't keep it here anyways lol) Don't get me wrong, i love my trike to death, but i live for speed, and this thing just ain't up to par haha. It's awesome in the woods, on all the little "bunny-trails" , just putt-ing along, the sweet braap of my mufflerless 4 stroke motor. God i wish it was all put together right now so i could ride it:cry:

Dirtcrasher
11-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Not sure what 200X motor you had... but the older AC cooled R's are darn fast and I'm certain would smoke most 200X's in 3 gears off the line no problemmmah!!

I don't know the HP difference between an 200X, S or M is (if there was an M) but I don't believe there is much of a difference. Not much hotter than you think, if anything at all. Certainly not anything close to the difference you'd find between a XR250 to a CRF250 powerplant.

You'd need about double the displacement 4 stroker to compete with a 2 stroker. What a 4 stroke does have is easy, smooth tractable power that will run and run and run with next to no maintenance.

You might just have a bum motor, most guys love the auto X coversions.

The 200X is a great fun ATC for people 180lbs and lighter, heavier guys like them too but they work best with lighter weight. A 350X is a top speed screamin demon but certainly not as quick to get there as with the shoulder socket tearing power of a 250R. If all you care about is speed, then get a stock Banshee (if you like quads) and it will satisfy you. Or dump some good coin into an ATC250R ans smoke everything :w00t:

G-Ram
11-03-2006, 09:50 PM
no, my motor is definately good, it has great compression and spark, the gears are good, its good on gas; all around its a nice little motor, i just assumed the actual 200X motor would be a little "hotter" than my workhorse 200S motor is.

threewheelin-feelin
11-04-2006, 01:43 AM
the only difference i know is the 200x has a 24mm carb and the 200s is 22mm...i believe there is a difference in the came but that about it i think....if you like the x and want to keep a 4 stroke get you a 350x it will keep up with the 250r's better.. and is a all around great bike

200xkwit
11-04-2006, 03:20 AM
"ya, i knew that there was no way my trike would keep up with an R"

O yea? well Have you ever heard of curtis sparks? he had a crazy fast 200x that walked by hopped up 250rs. I have one in pieces that would give a run to any 250r for sure.... but its in pieces. These 192cc motors respond very well to a nice port and polish/bore and mill/ get a nice valve job/intake and exhaust with a bigger carb and were talkin some numbers for sure! Im a civic guy so im into that tuner stuff. Gear and tire size is a cheap way to get some good power out of a 200x/ Ive decided to keep mine and rebuild it.... again. Maybe this time ill break it in porperly and have the carb tuned by a pro pro.... dont give up on the lil x!! later Chris

G-Ram
11-04-2006, 02:16 PM
no i haven't heard of him. I can't get any of the mods you listed, as my pocketbook won't allow it :cry: i can barely afford to put gas in it lol. maybe someday it'll get a bigger carb, a cam, or maybe even a high compression piston. But at this point in time, i can't really justify spending that kind of money on it. I'm moving out by the end of next year, and i need all the money i can get...

TRI-Zbrian
11-04-2006, 02:36 PM
pretty sure the 200s engine puts out 12 hp and the 200x puts out 14 hp.... ive owned both in the past... the x engine is a bit funner with a clutch and all...

G-Ram
11-04-2006, 02:44 PM
ya, having a clutch would probably make my riding experience more fun, but it's nice to just click it in gear, press the throttle and just go, its nice in the woods too...is there an easy way i could convert my motor from a pullstart to kickstart?

TRI-Zbrian
11-04-2006, 03:24 PM
not that i know of.... lol you could through a blaster engine on there .... ive never seen that done before ... lol i think it would be pretty cool... but if i were you id ride the 200x for what it is and when you are ready to get something bigger look at a 350x or a pinger..... dont put to much money into the engine on a 200x....your money will be better spent on a bigger bike later on....

Dirtcrasher
11-05-2006, 11:02 AM
"ya, i knew that there was no way my trike would keep up with an R"

O yea? well Have you ever heard of curtis sparks? he had a crazy fast 200x that walked by hopped up 250rs. I have one in pieces that would give a run to any 250r for sure.... but its in pieces. These 192cc motors respond very well to a nice port and polish/bore and mill/ get a nice valve job/intake and exhaust with a bigger carb and were talkin some numbers for sure! Im a civic guy so im into that tuner stuff. Gear and tire size is a cheap way to get some good power out of a 200x/ Ive decided to keep mine and rebuild it.... again. Maybe this time ill break it in porperly and have the carb tuned by a pro pro.... dont give up on the lil x!! later Chris

I'd like to know more about this fast 200X motor. I'd gladly dumd a G note into a 200X motor if I could achieve some incredible gains. Why not just buy a 350X? Because the 200X would be lighter and more flickable in the air. Where can I get some info?? All I've ever read about were cams, HC pistons and larger carbs - which I don't even know what carbs will fit on the X for that matter......

G-Ram
11-05-2006, 11:39 AM
not that i know of.... lol you could through a blaster engine on there .... ive never seen that done before ... lol i think it would be pretty cool... but if i were you id ride the 200x for what it is and when you are ready to get something bigger look at a 350x or a pinger..... dont put to much money into the engine on a 200x....your money will be better spent on a bigger bike later on....

ya, i wasn't planning on putting any money into it actually, besides maybe getting the proper motor, but i don't think i'll do that anymore either. I only paid $100 for the darn thing (running! :w00t: ) and only had to find back rims and tires(which i got for free...it pays to know people lol). But, if anyone knows if i could convert my motor from pullstart to kickstart, please, let me know!

scooterroo
11-05-2006, 12:12 PM
as far as differences thru the years, the 83 had a round tubed swinger on it, the 84-85s had a sqared tube swinger. as far as other noteable differences i dont think there was much of a difference on the 83-85's besides the swingers and decals. in 86 they went to a totally different setup. were the 83-85 had the round tube frame and was a 5 speed manny tranny with kickstart, the 86 was square tube framed and had a six speed manny tranny with kickstart. totally different plastics on the 86-87 model then the 83-85 models. now a 200x will not run with an r. totally different class of bikes. the r being 2stroke, even though aircooled, was a 250 built for racing, the x a 200 4 stroke, sport trike. no maatter what mods you do you wont beat an r. maybe keep up better, but not beat it. i love the 200x's and will be getting me one here in the next week or so, have had 2 of them already. a used 84, and a new 85, my dad had an 86. my 85 would get beat by the 86 everytime, but i think it was just cuz of the extra gear. on closed courses, i'd run my dad into the ground. but i think the 85 was better looking in my own opinion.

digity x
11-05-2006, 10:27 PM
i no my x is fast but it wont do jack---- when your talking about 250r's. but the 200x motor is faster then the auto cause of clutch and bigger carb'' mine is done up for a good clean blast of power for trails and hills. port xr200 piston cam 28mm carb dg pipe