OZQUAD44
11-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Heres mine, lets see em boys.....

OZQUAD44
11-03-2006, 08:13 AM
and a nuverie...

scooterroo
11-03-2006, 08:24 AM
oh this should be an awesome post, lets see your sec gen tecates boys. wish i had one to post up but mines an 85.

PowerTech
11-03-2006, 08:49 AM
you got ot love those tecate's :w00t:

it's just a shame how those fuel tanks age though. i think the leather fuel tank covers look stupid also. i bet a mint condition tecate fuel tank is worth more than gold.

IMS or clarke could make a killing if they ran some off. or do they already?

350xBomb
11-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Oh yeah...Ive seen just about everyones R and TriZ. Lets see those T3's! I know there has to be some great ones that I havent seen yet.
:pics: :pics: :pics:

rot box
11-03-2006, 12:21 PM
When someone trades me their 86-87 Tecate for my 350X then I'll post a picture of it :lol: ............but seriously any takers?

MIK6
11-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I have 3 T3s rite now. A 84, 86, and 87. Heres my 87 from its recent rebuild.
The 86 frame is painted rite now. It will be the same as the 87 but w/o an extendet swinger or wider axle. It will be a nice woods rider. The 84 needs alot of work, but some day it will be a nice rider.

MIK6 / Mike

OZQUAD44
11-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Com'on 2nd gen Tecates, where R you

Curtis-Tecate3
11-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Here are some old pics of my 86.

Curtis.

OZQUAD44
11-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Nice machine Curtis
Is that a DG pipe?

Curtis-Tecate3
11-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Oz,
The pipe is a handmade Klemm sectional or "Cone" pipe that has been plated along with an Answer HotTip silencer. Other mods are as follows: Sleeved & ported cylinder with a +.20 Wiseco piston. KX carbon reeds with stock reed stuffer. KX head gasket. 38MM Mikuni F/S carb. Uni air filter with vented airbox cover. Motoplat internal rotor ignition (Analog). Dico Trail Claw II 20" rear tires. The gas tank is brand new and has only had a splash of fuel in it to start the bike.
Other items not seen in photo. Maier Screen number plate. CT "Porterville Foil" aerodynamic numberplate. Durablue +2" steel swingarm. PRM std. alum grab bar. I also have lots of gearing options with 5 different countershaft sprockets (12-16 teeth) as the bike was ridden anywhere from tight woods and MX to pavement top end racing back in the days. The bike has unfortunately been sitting for quite some time as family obligations have taken over raising 3 young boys but my oldest is 7 and just about ready to start getting into all of my motorized goodies..!

Curtis.

Aussieduner
11-03-2006, 06:04 PM
I have 3 T3s rite now. A 84, 86, and 87. Heres my 87 from its recent rebuild.
The 86 frame is painted rite now. It will be the same as the 87 but w/o an extendet swinger or wider axle. It will be a nice woods rider. The 84 needs alot of work, but some day it will be a nice rider.

MIK6 / Mike

That would be the road at Haspen BEFORE the rain Mike..LOL

Aussie

Orangecnty250r
11-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Here is the 86.....I have some NOS not on it yet including a new coolant resi and NOS rear axle

This one will have nothing on my 87 T3 when its done :naughty:

Eric250R
11-03-2006, 06:45 PM
WOW......that thing is BEAUTIFUL!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

69HemiGTX
11-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Yup, OC has the world's best Tecate for sure! :beer

Here are some pictures I have saved in the past.

69HemiGTX
11-03-2006, 07:36 PM
A few more pics. I can't remember, but I think a few of these belong to some members here.

69HemiGTX
11-03-2006, 07:39 PM
The first pic is actually of a KXT500, and it's a pretty sweet conversion. And finally, some old-school racing pics. Two are courtesy of .org, so I give them credit.

Hornetpowerspor
11-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Here are a few I own, or have recently owned and sold. I am working on a all chrome one currently. Actually I have been working on that one for about a year and a half.

jmsmilin
11-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Yup, OC has the world's best Tecate for sure! :beer

Here are some pictures I have saved in the past.dude why dont you come with us

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=58837

nd4speed
11-04-2006, 12:05 AM
I had no idea what I was getting into with this one. Previous owner thrashed it.
Found a roller sinkin in to guys lawn the same week though.

Replaced bent forks, bent axle (thanks to Dammit!), axle bearings, chain, sprockets, intake boot, chain guard, gas tank, and radiators. .... atleast it's ridable now.

Good motor for now. And just have to make the $58 payment on the 18x11x10 Fast Trekkers for it. Brings the total to about $1150 with lots of parts left over.
Worth every penny.

http://home.att.net/~nd4speed/trailer1.JPG
http://home.att.net/~nd4speed/86T3.JPG

theonlyjosh
11-04-2006, 12:10 AM
very nice tecates, i would buy one in a flash but none around here. and besides i'm possibly buying a 250 trail blazer perfect shape, but that's off topic. great pics keep em coming

Aussieduner
11-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Here are a few I own, or have recently owned and sold. I am working on a all chrome one currently. Actually I have been working on that one for about a year and a half.

Thats some quality machines right there Hornet !
Has anyone done a 250r front fender conversion on the Tecate to trim up the bulky stock fender they fit up nicely bolt holes and all....just need Maier to knock out a batch in Kawasaki green ??
What do you think ?

Aussie

69HemiGTX
11-04-2006, 12:56 AM
Here's a trimmed fender I saw a while back. For such a small change, it really shortened up the front and made the whole trike look racier. Sorry, but I lost the pics of it mounted. :(

Aussieduner
11-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Here's a trimmed fender I saw a while back. For such a small change, it really shortened up the front and made the whole trike look racier. Sorry, but I lost the pics of it mounted. :(

That looks pretty good.... i did see a post that said if you order 10 items from Maier they will do a colour change for you,i would buy 2 green 250r fenders straight up.

Aussie

Orangecnty250r
11-04-2006, 06:59 AM

That was my trimmed fender but I sold it off..... I'll try to check if I had a pic of it mounted

350xBomb
11-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Here is the 86.....I have some NOS not on it yet including a new coolant resi and NOS rear axle

This one will have nothing on my 87 T3 when its done :naughty:

Wow...that has got to be one of the cleanest Kawi's Ive seen.

mdunn
11-04-2006, 12:35 PM
I just picked this one up in Michigan. I used to race these in the day and have been wanting to restore one for a long time. It needs a lot of work, but most of it is there. I am still missing some key parts like the coolant reservoir tank, rear brag bar, ON/OFF switch and chain guards. So if any of you Tecate guys have extras lying around, send me an e-mail. Thank you!

c:/tecate

mdunn
11-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Well...looks like I messed that picture posting up....

mdunn
11-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Let's see if I can get it right this time....

OZQUAD44
11-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Nice Tecates fellas
Mdunn, I think your stickers on the rear are around the wrong way. Have a look at the attached image. Thats my original factory fenders when they come of my 87.

Nd4speed, Hornetpowersports does an exelent set of radiator shrouds mate. I just got a set recently and I'm pretty happy with them. Is that a KX inlet manifold?

You guys should be commended for bringing these beasts back to life.

OZQUAD44
11-04-2006, 06:16 PM

Hornet, your really dragging the chain on your chrome one mate. Got some updates, last photo I saw was the chrome frame and thats it.........

Aussie, don't go trying to sneak no honda bits on to the Tecate, I'd hate to see it: a. lose value, b. look nerdy, and c. lose its performance edge. :p :lol: :lol:

mdunn
11-04-2006, 10:43 PM
OZQUAD44..I realize the graphics are on backwards..we'll ask Hornet about that one....the bike is an '86 but those are backwards '87 graphics.:wondering :wondering

I have already picked up all new OEM plastic for it. I am still trying to find some other parts though.

Hornet, there is a headlight frame on E-Bay right now (for an '86). E-mail me sometime as I want to see about getting a headlight shroud from you.

Thanks. Mike

nd4speed
11-04-2006, 11:48 PM
The repros are very nice. If only no one else would bid on those auctions for $65.
My shrouds are junk and cobbled together. Just didn't know if it was going to run this season. The motor seems tight though. Gonna use up this motor and then the overhaul will begin.

That is supposedly a 96 KX RAD valve. The stock boot was scary dry rotted.

brrcuda
11-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Here's the latest on my project tecate. Still need to finish a few things like swap out the rear rusty brake rotor and put on a new chain and such.

check out the bills pipe and silencer.:)

brrcuda
11-05-2006, 12:05 AM
got two more pics for yah. got to love those tecates.

Orangecnty250r
11-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Looking good brcuda!!!!! Looks like you tried the powdercoating silver....almost impossible to get silver powder looking like factory...I had mine powdered twice...hated it then had the factory silver matched and flat clear coat paint to get the OEM match

Derrick Adams
11-05-2006, 07:16 AM
So what factory plastics are still available for these bikes now? Everything but one of the radiator shrouds? Headlight still available?

mdunn
11-05-2006, 12:31 PM
There are rear fenders, front fenders and the left shroud on E-Bay right now. I think the right shroud is not available. Hornet can hook you up with nice shrouds and headlight cover that he is making.

Orangecnty250r
11-05-2006, 06:27 PM
There are rear fenders, front fenders and the left shroud on E-Bay right now. I think the right shroud is not available. Hornet can hook you up with nice shrouds and headlight cover that he is making.

Yep the NOS OEM golden right shroud and headlight I bought from the same seller on ebay a few years back was the first and last time I ever saw them before. glad I spent on them. I beleive one or two members have a right shroud they wont part with....rarer than rocking horse poop. Anyone who has built only hondas will be in for a big surprise trying to gather nice parts for these...they are out there but ....."needle in the haystack out there"

350xman
11-06-2006, 02:41 AM
HI GUYS
Nice to see all those Tecate still around. Hi Orangecnty250r, I was wondering if you could post some nice up close pictures of your 86 tri-z, 86 atc250r and 86 atc350x? I ve seen your tecate and have heard that you have some awesome looking completely stock OEM tri-z, 250r and 350x. I d love to see those bikes and do you ride them or are they strickly for show? Also, how does the power compare between the 86 atc250r and 86 trx250r for power band, acceleration and top end speed and is the suspension better on the trx then atc?
Thanks 350xman

Orangecnty250r
11-06-2006, 06:25 AM
HI GUYS
Nice to see all those Tecate still around. Hi Orangecnty250r, I was wondering if you could post some nice up close pictures of your 86 tri-z, 86 atc250r and 86 atc350x? I ve seen your tecate and have heard that you have some awesome looking completely stock OEM tri-z, 250r and 350x. I d love to see those bikes and do you ride them or are they strickly for show? Also, how does the power compare between the 86 atc250r and 86 trx250r for power band, acceleration and top end speed and is the suspension better on the trx then atc?
Thanks 350xman

As the showroom is being built they are all in storage wrapped up and covered so I cant take any pics. The only pictures are the old ones of the builds...all of them have have very nice upgrades since..I have decided that I am going to refrain from taking pictures until they are unwrapped and moved to their new home....The pictures I take of them by spring will be worth the wait. I have a decent stock 86 TRIZ rider not in storage but the one I have all the NOS parts for is still pre assembly stage. To me bone stock low hour ATC's and TRX's that arent all messed with and hopped up feel like twins. Have you seen the new 87 200x not restored I have...try a search on that one...really nice

Scooter77
11-06-2006, 08:20 AM
How much do these Tecates usualy run you for one in good condition like that? :wondering

OZQUAD44
11-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Looking good brcuda!!!!! Looks like you tried the powdercoating silver....almost impossible to get silver powder looking like factory...I had mine powdered twice...hated it then had the factory silver matched and flat clear coat paint to get the OEM match

Hey OC
Did you mean that you painted over the powder coat or did you have to strip the powder coat off? I've been planning to powdercoat my frame to look stock again but I've had second thoughts now. I might just get it professionally painted, although thats a lot dearer than powdercoating isn't it?

Cheers OZ

86350xhauler
11-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Man after seeing these bad boys I wish I would have picked up an 86 that I was looking at a couple of years ago. I had a choice between a mint 350X and a fairly nice 86 Tecate. O well I guess, I'm happy with the X for now....:D

OZQUAD44
11-08-2006, 07:51 AM
How much do these Tecates usualy run you for one in good condition like that? :wondering

Q. How long is a piece of string?

I paid $3000AU for mine in Australia in 1999 but I have since seen one go for $1500AU (all be it in poorer condition)

As for the US market, I don't think you will get a half decent 86/7 Tecate for under $2000USD. I've seen beaters go on ebay for no less than $1600.

I don't think mortals could afford one in OC's league.

A. Equie distant from the middle!

brrcuda
11-08-2006, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the compliments OC - Not as thorough as your 3 wheeled restorations but I try to get it as nice as possible without going broke. The frame is actually painted with a metal grey color. I just wanted to get the rust sanded down and covered up while I search for the rare parst to complete this bike. Next year I will powdercoat - I got a guy in NH that will match any color for $250 a frame.

I think I spent about $3000 total including buying the bike at 1150. Spent probably a 1000 on all the plastics and tank. Tecate parts are very expensive and difficult to find. For anyone doing a Kawi restore - make sure you are ready to search and dig deep for the golden parts. For example I paid $150 for the NOS Radiator overflow bottle.

Theres got to be more out there!!

LonesomeTriZ
11-08-2006, 02:15 PM
I am not sure if this is the right place for this or not. But I have a pretty good Tecate story. My buddy and I use to frequent a local cycle salvage yard in Tampa. They had a piece of it closed of behind a chain link fence. We did not care much about it because all we saw were piled up old street bikes. One day we were allowed back there and low and behold a complete Z minus plastic and a rolling chassis for an 87 Tecate were sitting side by side. Obviously I got the Z and my buddy got the Tecate. We were very excited. Well, right next door was another old cycle dealer. He had a bone yard, but not a whole lot was in it. He kept a lot of used parts inside. We went over there and found sitting in a box the perfect 250cc kiwi engine of a dirt bike. It was all there and from around the same time period. We dropped the engine in the frame right there and it was a direct bolt in. I believe it was power valve as well. What luck. All this thing needed now as a good going though and some minor details. The plastic and seat looked great already. We brought them back to my house and put the Tecate in storage in my back yard with the rest of my fleet so he could finish the 350X had had at his house. Well, things got bad after that. We were out riding and he wiped out hard on his X. He was done with ATV’s at that point. I then ended up with the Kawi, but with my Yammi only rule, it had to go. He ended up getting it back and sold it for one hell of a profit. I later regretted cutting it lose. It was in such nice shape. Oh well, I’ll always regret that one along with some others I allowed to slip past me.

OZQUAD44
11-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Any more 86/87 Tecates out there fellas? how rare are these puppies?

86waterpumper
11-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Here are some old pictures of my 86, still looks about the same although with stock silencer, still need to get rid of the blue apehanger handlebars LOL

http://instinctz.net/waters/Toys/tecate2.jpg

http://instinctz.net/waters/Toys/tecate3.jpg

http://instinctz.net/waters/Tecate/130082.jpg

brrcuda
11-10-2006, 11:41 AM
nice tecate waterpumper - I have those pics saved on my PC.

Question - do you guys ride your tecates. I have only ridden mine once in first and second gear to test, then the next day I started to tear it down. Its definelty a wheelie machine. I will ride mine at some point when officially complete - I have a second set of plastics and tank for that.

Waterpumper - whats your impression compared to the 250r you have? I havent had enough ride time on my tecate to get any impression yet. I really like the slimmer/longer feel from the tecate though when sitting on it. Reminds me of the old KX dirtbikes when i sit on it.

Theres a nice one on ebay right now- i would snatch that one up if anyone is looking.

HondaHarry
11-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Heres mine... should clean up nicely. LA Sleeve 300, 38PWK, KX intake, JP Pipe/Silencer +4 Swingarm, New plastics, perfect RH shroud (OEM), and some other goodies.

And a pic of one I had saved on my PC dont know who's it is though

86waterpumper
11-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I like the way the t3's ride. Some people say the suspension isn't on par with the 250r, but I like the way the forks at least work alot. My rear shock is blown so I really can't comment on that. I don't think it's a better suspension than the 250r but definately good, Compared to a 250r providing both machines are bone stock, the t3 definately has more of a rev and pull on the topend, which makes it feel alot faster than it is really, but the very bottom end is pretty weak. Once it hits the midrange though it goes like stink. I do wish the t3 had a sixth gear, it feels like it revs out real fast, and I also don't really care for the rear kicker it definately has a cool factor, but if you have big feet like I do they definately get all into the fender and hang up constantly while kicking it. steel braided brake lines are great, I assume they all had them stock, mine does at least, and the front one locks up harder than any other bike I've had, and has tons of lever pressure even compared to my 250r that has had a steel line put on it or other bikes. I think a t3would be great for mx type riding, or dunes, but it definately would be a challenge to get much out of one in the woods etc I've heard the 84' 85 t3's have even more of a narrow powerband, even less lowend and more of a hard midrange hit, so they probably are even more of a handful

Eric250R
11-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Sorry to bump this, but I love these things and want to see more of them:D

69HemiGTX
11-12-2006, 02:35 PM
No shame in bumping a great thread.

HondaHarry, that second Tecate you posted looks almost identical to one owned by a guy from Kansas who comes to the dunes every once in a while. His is the best looking modified T3 I've ever seen.

BigGreenMachine
11-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Thats JBKX's ride. He has another with a KX500 in it.

BigGreenMachine
02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
BUMP!!! Get in here Tecate guys! Post some new pics.

scooterroo
03-01-2007, 09:16 AM
well i cant get to my pics yet cuz they are at home and i am at work, but heres my thread on my project i am starting...

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=64517&highlight=began+teardown