PDA

View Full Version : bent forks 100% fixable?

350Xccelerator
11-03-2006, 03:42 AM
is there anyway to get forks back to 100% straight after being bent? i crashed a few months ago and bent them pretty bad, me and a friend straightened them back pretty good, but not completely straight. it really bugs me when i look at the front end of the bike, ill get pics once i find the usb cable for my camera.

SYKO
11-03-2006, 10:22 AM
im not sure but I think that you can take the forks apart and send them to a machine shop that can put them into a press the straighten them out, I got a set of 250r forks Im thinking about trying that to.

Howdy
11-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Ask moshman355 and Mrsmoshman about having forks straightened. I know for sure they just had a set straightened ( I did the straightening ).
Howdy

DeePa
11-03-2006, 12:57 PM
as long as they compress and rebound fine, theres nothing to worry about. Getting the axle in might be a pain, but once its in, and the shocks work fine, youre all set.

If you can, make sure they are bent in the same direction.

Mike

hotrod 110
11-03-2006, 03:32 PM
My forks where bent , I took them apart and dropped them off at my Honda dealer and they got them back to .015 and they work great.

Mosh
11-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Ask moshman355 and Mrsmoshman about having forks straightened. I know for sure they just had a set straightened ( I did the straightening ).
Howdyyeah,mine were hammered dog poo:lol: howdy got them within 20 thousandths.cant tell they were bent by looking at em.bad part is,i did not even get to have the fun of bending them.they were bent by someone else:lol:

Dirtcrasher
11-03-2006, 06:52 PM
People can get them real straight.

I got my set of 250SX forks within .008. But, the 200X rear axle I couldn't get any better than .020, it seemed to have had more than 1 bend. I just use a hydraulic press with the fork tube mounted on V blocks I made of wood and the ram pressing on a steel machined V block and into the bending area. Ya have to bend past straight to remove a bend because the metal really flexes and bounces back after pressing.

Thought of using a lathe chuck to hold the end but I think the jaws would score it up and mess the seal area up.

One time I didn't use V blocks - which support more of the outside surface area - and I ended up making the leg a bit out of round or ovalled. It was hard to get back round again so now I use the V blocks.

Oh yeah, and you need some type of dial indicator to see where you need to bend it back. Mark the high spot with a sharpie and bend away :D

ceaserthethird
11-03-2006, 07:28 PM
i wounder if any ATV repair shop can fix them ?

Around what kind of money R we talking to get it fix ?

PowerTech
11-03-2006, 07:51 PM
i just got my rear axle back from being straitened.

i think i paid way to much. i had no idea when i sent it off how much it would cost.

i sent it up to frank and jimmys propeller shop in fortlauderdale. they are the best and have a huge machine shop.

they charged me 115 bucks. i was sort of pist. i could of gotten a used aftermarket extended and chrome one probably for 150 one ebay . but o well .

350Xccelerator
11-03-2006, 08:58 PM
here are the pics
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/sinaloa350/DSCF0594.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/sinaloa350/DSCF0593.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/sinaloa350/DSCF0592.jpg

Dirtcrasher
11-03-2006, 09:12 PM
I have got them real straight in 5 minutes and not so bad in an hour, I believe "luck" and just the right pressure beyond straight is what gets it done. It should take about 1/2 hour if you hand them just the upper tube of the fork, but the way dealers work I'm sure it's at least an hour charge and that may be about 65$. If someone already diccked with it, it may be an offest bend which is now alot harder to fix than just one big twing.

Before I had a dial indicator I'd unbend them in the press and just roll them on a flat surface while watching them. It did the trick but it is now much easier with the right tools!!

A machine shop may actually like the fact that your restoring/riding an old trike and do it on the spot a bit cheaper if they are an "old school" shop. But, if you drop it off at a fancy new space metal building type machine shop you'll probably pay the 75$ or more an hour that they charge. Find a dirty old welding/machine shop with a bunch of older guys that look like the ZZtop guys and they'll probably take care of ya :)

OR - Just take the damn things apart and mail them to one of the guys on this board including me that live closest to you which cost the least amount to ship to and we'll do our best. We all enjoy a little challenge and most of us could care less about the money.

In case you didn't know - That top fork leg comes off real easy and gives you a good chance to clean them up and change the fork oil etc.

Used forks run 50$ for a good pair unbent an little pitting if you pay attention to auctions, so - thats an option also!!

I can't tell crap from your photos as the fork boots hide everything. Dare I ask how your buddy tried to unbend them??

Leave the whole front end on the ATC but raise the front tire off the ground. Now loosen all the pinch bolts and gently tap a screwdriver in all 4 triple lamp slots to free up the upper leg - without being so loose it wants to slip out of the triples. Then turn the upper leg with your hand and you'll see how bad they really are.

350Xccelerator
11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
the forks are actually alot better in the pics than when i first crashed, the handle bars were making a complete right turn while i was going straight.