PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep 250R running

leetwanker
11-02-2006, 08:10 PM
I took my bike out for a ride this afternoon after changing the case oil and working on my rear brakes a bit, and after a minute of riding it just started to lose power, it started bogging when I gave it throttle. I kept on trying to start it back up but it wouldn't stay running for more than 20 seconds. Seemed like the bowl was running out of fuel maybe so I just took the carb out and gave it a good dousch and made sure the float valve was letting plenty of fuel past and it was, put it back together, same thing. When I first start it up I can rev it up and a few seconds later it starts bogging when I give it throttle.

Please Help Guys!
Justin

3leggeddog
11-02-2006, 10:07 PM
reeds?maybe a fouled plug?petcock clogged?,choke popping on?

Liquid-Darkness
11-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Why don't you try blowing out your carb? Check spark plug gap. Any other things anyone?

triker111
11-03-2006, 10:55 PM
well try turning the choke lever a few more degrees. see if that can make it idle.

leetwanker
11-03-2006, 11:06 PM
It will Idle as soon as i start it up, only for a few seconds though, then it bogs out. The carb is clean. How can I tell if my plug is fouled? I'm new to 2-strokes.

SYKO
11-04-2006, 12:19 AM
fouled plug, get a new one, thats how they act they will idle but will bog down and die when you give it gas, it can look perfect to, but still be fouled

leetwanker
11-04-2006, 07:18 AM
fouled plug, get a new one, thats how they act they will idle but will bog down and die when you give it gas, it can look perfect to, but still be fouled

cool, thanks for the advice!

ste-pel
11-04-2006, 09:41 AM
if my r was setting for a long time, I would have a heck of a time trying to start it unless I put a new plug in it and like sykolincoln said it would look perfect but i would kick it over 50million times and it still wouldn't start up. when my r would bog down it was usually a feul problem but it wouldn't hurt to put a new plug in it

TRI-Zbrian
11-04-2006, 11:50 AM
also being you are new to 2 strokes you have to remember.... dont start your bike and let it sit there and idle by its self... dont rev it up but keep like tapping the gas... and also when you are rideing it dont let it sit and idle for a long time... because it will load up and foul the plug that way also.... i never let my 2 strokes idle by them self for more then a minuite or two... im not saying rev the piss out of it but blurp the gas a little bit while it is warming up.. and when you stop on the trail for a second... it will help big time in saveing your plugs...ware you could let a 4 stroke idle all day with out a problem... a 2 stroke will load up and foul the plug....thats why if i am ever trail rideing i alwase just shut my bike off when peeps stop to take a couple minuite break .. like wateing for a couple peeps to cross a mud hole....that and its a good thing to stop and shut it off also if it is liquid cooled because they will over heat on the trail easily if you arnt moving... make sure and bring extra plugs and a plug wrench with you when you are out rideing... cause you will be stranded if you foul a plug ....out in the middle of no ware... lol you will find your self cleaning the plug off with what ever you have to try to get back... but at like 3 bux a piece it isnt worth it to clean them unless you are stuck some ware... other then that just buy a new one...

PowerTech
11-04-2006, 12:21 PM
i only trail and mud ride. and i allways find myself alone siting and waiting for other riders to catch up.

i will be sitting on my R smoking a cigarette. like where the hell have yall been.

you have to turn it off. i found these cool water proof plastic spark plug holders

keep a couple in your air box . keep the wrench in there to. i keep a couple extra master links in there to for the chain. they come in handy some times for you or other riders.

TRI-Zbrian
11-04-2006, 12:42 PM
good advise... witht he master links.... u never know when you are going to have a rock fly up and ruin a chain...

leetwanker
11-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I went out and bought 5 new plugs today, that fixed the problem. It's still siezing up on me, and then unsiezing a minute later.... strange shyte. I'll start a new thread to try to get help with that though.

gravelord
11-04-2006, 05:25 PM
your jetting is too rich, thats my guess. what color is the spark plug? if its dark black looking, and moist then your too rich. try this and see if it clears up a bit, take the cap off the carb and put the little clip that is on the top of the needle up all the way to the top click. then theres a little air fuel mixture screw on the carb, not the idle screw, but a small one with no spring behind it, screw it all the way in, then back it out 3 complete turns. it sounds like your running way rich, see if that helps you by leaning, see how it runs for a short period of time, if it is better, then you were running so rich you were instantly fouling plugs. after this if it clears up, pull the spark plug out and see what color it is. you should want it to be dark dark grey, almost black, but NOT moist. you never want it to be moist. dark grey but not moist is slightly rich, but better rich then being lean thats what i prefer to try to keep it at so i dont burn up the engine. if the spark plug is white or very light grey, dont ride it like that or you can blow up the engine (if you keep running it and ruining plugs, it can cause carbon buildup in there if you run it long enough which isnt good for the engine or exhaust either.)

gravelord
11-04-2006, 05:26 PM
oh yeah, and if this doesnt cure your problem do a compression test, and also take out the reed cage and inspect the reeds. if the reeds have a cap, are freyed or broken replace them. if your engine is running rich, and you replace them with high performance reeds you might not even have to worry about going down a jet size too because you always have to fatten the jets up when you modify a engine especially 2-strokes.

leetwanker
11-05-2006, 10:27 AM
oh yeah, and if this doesnt cure your problem do a compression test, and also take out the reed cage and inspect the reeds. if the reeds have a cap, are freyed or broken replace them. if your engine is running rich, and you replace them with high performance reeds you might not even have to worry about going down a jet size too because you always have to fatten the jets up when you modify a engine especially 2-strokes.

I'd be all about putting some high performance reeds in it, as far as leaning it out, I'm going to wait until it stops siezing up on me to do that. What reeds should I go with?