PDA

View Full Version : Honda 350x Valve Train Noise

jaykup
10-30-2006, 10:56 AM
The 350x I've got has a "bigger cam" I'm not sure the specs on it, but it doesn't look like they replaced the springs or anything else but the cam. I adjusted them to .002 on the intake and exhaust sides.

It just seems like there is a lot of noise coming from the upper end, its constant and gets louder with the engine RPM. It reminds me of an older car with worn out lifters.

Is this normal with a larger cam? Or maybe even a 350x?

I really didn't notice it until now when I put a 450r silencer on it to quite it down.

Jake

EDIT: I just looked at Powrolls site and they are saying .004 - .005 for Clearance (provided this is a Powroll Cam) I Wonder if it being too tight is causing this?

Somekindofjerk
10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
If you don't use hard face rockers and get stronger springs the rockers will wear quickly and the springs wont have enough strength to pull the valve back up as quickly as it should.

Usually a ticking in the topend is when there is to much clearance, to little would just hold the valve open as the engine heated up and possibly have the piston rapping the valves. Another topend tick you can have is a worn pin boss but that would be a rapid double click.

kb200x
10-30-2006, 12:16 PM
The 350x I've got has a "bigger cam" I'm not sure the specs on it, but it doesn't look like they replaced the springs or anything else but the cam. I adjusted them to .002 on the intake and exhaust sides.

It just seems like there is a lot of noise coming from the upper end, its constant and gets louder with the engine RPM. It reminds me of an older car with worn out lifters.

Is this normal with a larger cam? Or maybe even a 350x?

I really didn't notice it until now when I put a 450r silencer on it to quite it down.

Jake

EDIT: I just looked at Powrolls site and they are saying .004 - .005 for Clearance (provided this is a Powroll Cam) I Wonder if it being too tight is causing this?

Stock clearance is .08mm Or .003" I would think it should be that? But i am not sure.

You may want to check you timing chain tensioner to make sure you chain is not slapping around in there.

jaykup
10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah, the chain is very tight, and I don't think its anything with the piston. I just had the engine apart over the weekend to replace the base gasket and the piston looked new still, and looked great. There was only carbon on the higher part of the dome. No dings or dents or anything like that. Timing is right too, just set that. Maybe they did go with stronger springs? I really don't know. Actually, there were some good wear marks on the rocker arms them selves, where they hit the valves, not on the faces.

I'm really not sure on this one, I'll probably just leave it until I decided to tear into it and rebuild everything right.