PDA

View Full Version : 85 Tecate engine mod help.

jsimonh
10-29-2006, 11:15 PM
My Tecate is now going to be used mostly at the dunes/track. I'm looking to buy a new carb to give it a little boost and was wondering what the best option is. I've done some searching but didn't find what I was looking for. Also I was hoping that you guys could point me in the right direction for good port work and tell me what I would need to do to have it done.

One more thing, is there a place to buy aftermarket silencers for them?

Kintore
10-29-2006, 11:32 PM
I hear the 38 PWKs are the best, and the 36's are very good as well.

Im personally getting a 36.

BigGreenMachine
10-30-2006, 07:38 AM
www.sudco.com You choose the carb and they will set it up for your Tecate before they send it. Any 38mm flatslide of your favourite brand will do.

Port work, I hear Jason Hall does some very nice work. I had CWR do a MX/play port on mine and it rips. I'll get their number for you later today.

DG makes a nice silencer for the Tecate. Do yourself a favour and pic up a exhaust clamp for the silencer to headpipe connection.

Also you may want to think about having the cylinder/head decked for more compression. CWR can do this also.

OZQUAD44
10-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Be careful with the deck height. Don't over do it. Tecates all ready had a bit of compression on board from standard

scooterroo
10-30-2006, 08:27 AM
only bad thing about the dg silencer is that you will have to find one on ebay or somebody on here selling one cuz dg is sold out. i just went thru this myself, and i talked to a guy at dg, and he said they wont be making any more headpipes or silencers for the 84-84 tecate unless he has about 15-20 orders for them. which bummed me out bigtime. but i got lucky and a member on here had a nos bassani pipe laying around, so i bought that quick. i am going to be teaming the pipe up with an answer hottip silencer, i have to modify the tube to fit from the headpipe to the silencer, but thats nothing. i am gonna be going with the pwk38 probably for a carb, and will be using the v-force 3 reeds and cage and a kx 250 spacer, and i am going to be going with a nice port job for trail and play myself, i have heard of cwr like big green said, but i am also checking a place called maxrpms.com. i am in the beginning stages of my rebuild on the motor, hoping to have it done by lake riding time, feburary or so. i am also gonna be slapping on a pvl ignition, anybody used these before? how do they perform?

MIK6
10-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Corey Sprock makes a bigbore kit for the 84/85 T3. I have seen his T4s run, they are BAD!! I will be picking up 1 of his 300 kits for my 87 T3 soon. I know his billet heads have interchangable domes which lets you play w/ compression a bit. He makes some awsome tecate parts.
http://www.tecateconnection.com/

MIK6 / Mike

jsimonh
10-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys.

I'm going to start keeping an eye out for a 38pwk or similar.
I think I'm going to try and find an extra jug so I can send it off for port and polish and still keep my stock setup in one piece just incase something happens.

I check ebay often and haven't come across a silencer yet. I looked at the universal ones on Dennis Kirk, and I hate to sound stupid but how do you tell if they will work on a 2 stroke? Are they the same for a 2 and 4 stroke? I'm just talking about the universal ones. Or are there others from banshees, blasters, etc... that will work?

One last thing, can you Tecate guys post some pics of the rear fender foot/kicker area. I need to trim mine and was needing some ideas on how far to take it.

scooterroo
10-30-2006, 08:31 PM
are you running oem rears? or maiers?

jsimonh
10-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Maiers I marked off where I wanted to cut them tonight, but didn't pull the trigger on it. When I go back out tommorow, if it still looks right then I'll cut. This is an older pic, but it still looks similar. I'll get new pics up as soon as I find my cable for my digital camera (we moved still unpacking).
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture132167.jpg

BigGreenMachine
10-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Cut Tecate low profiles on the orange one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/tecateracing3.jpg