PDA

View Full Version : honing a 2 stroke?

PowerTech
10-29-2006, 08:08 PM
the bike is a 86 250r. i broke the case with the chain. while it is apart i am changing the rings.it is a 2mm over jug with a wiesco prolite. she has i say 20 tanks of gas max on her.

i know about ring gap. what i dont know about is honing 2 strokes.

i have many hones . i have honed more 4 stroke engines than i can count. but i dont realy work on 2 strokes. can any of yll tell me what to do exactly with the jug?

i dont even know, if you hone these things at all?

i asume that you do.

MTS
10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Just like honing a 4 stroke, use a propriate sized Ball hone, Get that nice cross hatch goin

Chucksoup
10-29-2006, 09:23 PM
If you are just replacing the rings, thats cool. Make sure you use a solivent with your hone. Just drizzle some over the hone stones while they are in the jug. Go slow and up and down have the jug in a bucket with some solivent. When the black is gone, you will notice a good cross hatch. Make sure you remove the glaze completely. You can then stop and WASH IT WELL. The stones leave a film of stone crispys that can get into your bottem end and eat away at the bearings. There are the small stones and the large 3in stones. Just make sure you adjust the tension so the stones do not rub to hard. Or if you use the ball thats cool. Remmeber new C clips on your piston pin. Yes you DEFINTLY deglaze/hone the jug. Or your new rings will not seat from the glaze. Your local hardware store would call solivent Mineral Sprints.

PowerTech
10-29-2006, 09:58 PM
thank you.

i will just hone the thing in the parts washer tank.

jason 32
10-30-2006, 05:00 AM
use a bladed flex hone or a line hone -a ball hone you need a certain size smaller than the cyl,and even then theres a chance of getting it stuck in the ports,and possibly damaging it -or breaking your wrists

MTS
10-30-2006, 04:28 PM
use a bladed flex hone or a line hone -a ball hone you need a certain size smaller than the cyl,and even then theres a chance of getting it stuck in the ports,and possibly damaging it -or breaking your wrists
Wow Second time you prove to give out Chit info, DON NOT USE A FLEX HONE....unless you reallyt like catching Ports and Fkin stuff over.....:rolleyes:

PowerTech
10-30-2006, 06:34 PM
i was not going to use a ball hone . i dont think that would work . it would have to snag in the ports.

i have other hones . i think it is called a flex hone it has 3 spring loaded arms with 3 or 4 inch long stones on it.i dont thing i will used that one eather

i have a real nice hone i dont know what it is called though . it is not spring loaded and has very long stones. you have to adjust the tention on it by hand. and it has a swivel on it and i long shaft it looks like something that should be on a honing machine. it is a sun or sunnen or suix or something i think it was about 600 bucks. 10 years about 10 years ago i can remember. that is the one i will use.

i am going to take a 5 gallon bucket and flip it up side down. then cut a hole in it with a hole saw the size of the sleave, and drill 4 holes in it to bolt the jug down to it. then i will hone it lightly and quickly. while someone else squirts mineral spirits on it.

thank you for all your replys.