PDA

View Full Version : motor oil on air filter?

jmsmilin
10-28-2006, 04:22 PM
I saw someone doing this somewhere, putting oil on their air filter, why?

bigred1981
10-28-2006, 05:03 PM
The oil helps catch dirt and foreign particles. It's probably a wiser thing to use Air filter oil rather than motor oil. Filter oil is real sticky.. unlike motor oil. I use Bel-Ray but there are many others.

MTS
10-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Keep the fine dirt out of foam filtres, Motor oil Will not work, Gota use Filtre oil...

WIkid500
10-28-2006, 09:35 PM
I think on the last foam air filter I put on my 3 wheeler It said you could sub. real heavy motor oil. I think like 30 weight. I too use filter oil. that stuff is sticky like honey. it aids in trapping fine dust particles.

ClayW
10-30-2006, 05:04 PM
I would only put filter oil on the foam filters. Foam filters are the only ones that require the oil. If you put too much oil it could suck it into the carb and get it quite dirty. Dont over oil it. I have NEVER heard of putting any kind of motor oil on a foam filter. Its not near as tacky as filter oil.

Dammit!
10-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Foam filters are the only ones that require the oil.

K&N's require oil as well.

TimSr
10-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Before all the fancy spray on oils came out, using motor oil on foam elements was standard procedure recommended in most manuals. Its purpose is to trap the dust, and in fact, a dry foam element is quite ineffective, and they should never be run dry. The procedure was to get it wet with oil, and squeeze as much of it out as possible, so the element was wet, but not dripping. Too much oil tended to restrict airflow, and worked its way to the bottom of the filter, and dripped all over inside the airbox. Aside from that, I have never heard of a catasrophic failure as a result of over oiling. Actually, over oiling was quite common.

The new spray on oils have a solvent carrier which allows it to go on as a very thin liquid, and spread more evenly. Then the solvent evaporates, and the remaining oil is very tacky, and thick. This prevents the oil from all running to the bottom part of the filter, and keeps it evenly spread as it was applied. Like so many advances since our trikes were made, the spray ons are superior to the old oiling method, but both are acceptable practices.

chris200x
10-30-2006, 05:24 PM

I was wondering about that doug.. The dude at the shop told me if I didn't hve the spay on stuff to use a small amount of gear oil. I've been using it for a while now but I was just wondering what you guys think about this?

ClayW
10-30-2006, 05:26 PM

Brain Fart, you got me Dammit. Wasnt thinking about those.:crazy:

I dont know about bike filters, but since the early 80s Amsoil has made foam filter oil. That was my first exposure to foam filters. Used them quite a bit since then. Over oiling the filter on my 700 KQ can cause problems with the fuel injection.

Dammit!
10-30-2006, 06:23 PM
I was wondering about that doug.. The dude at the shop told me if I didn't hve the spay on stuff to use a small amount of gear oil. I've been using it for a while now but I was just wondering what you guys think about this?

I wouldn't use anything but a good quality spray on oil that's recommended for a K&N type filter. I think the oil is even more critical with a K&N than a foam filter. With a spray on you can get both angles more easily which gives you much better saturation. One big old can of PJ1 has lasted me I don't even know how long. Seems like I've had it forever and I wash my filter no later than every third ride and very often after every ride.

traxxasx
10-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Ive used motor oil on my filters since i was 13. It helps catch the dirt better and finner particals. Also it keeps the rubber boot fresh so it doesent dry crack or anything. Motor oil is all good to use and it does work. Eaiser to clean to.

Pete
10-30-2006, 07:07 PM
I use 80-90 weight gear oil on my foam filters. Its thicker than motor oil and doesn't run to the bottom of the filter, yet is relatively easy to clean compared to the spray on oils which really suck to clean in my opinion.

jmsmilin
10-30-2006, 08:09 PM
I noticed my TRX90 has a small area to "catch" any dripping oil...I wonder what other little tricks I dont know about, never heard of oiling the filter...

82300R
10-31-2006, 01:28 AM
i use air filter oil nowadays but back in the day all we used was motor oil.

ceaserthethird
10-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Yes you can use Gear oil it's more gummy , i used 75w - 90 works great .

jmsmilin
10-31-2006, 11:13 PM
when I first saw someone do this, I thought maybe it was to keep the carb parts lubbed and prevent corrossion:rolleyes: