PDA

View Full Version : need help!!

2new2atc
10-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I just got a 1980 honda 185 and im having alot of fuel blowing by the piston. its coming out of everywhere. behind the CDI cover, in the oil, etc... could anyone please tell me what to do thanx.

kcop
10-23-2006, 10:45 PM
if the machine was ever flooded bad fuel can seep past the rings and thin out the oil, then lack of adaquate lubrication can cause damage. Tear it down and check top and bottom

2new2atc
10-23-2006, 10:53 PM
thanks for the info. this is my first trike and im learning alot.

erectordale
10-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Make sure the oil is not full of gas. I bought a yamaha and it was doing this and the crankcase was almost full of fuel from a stuck float in the carb

Erics350x
10-24-2006, 12:08 AM
i would say a bad float or needle valve . also make sure the fuel cap is venting.

2new2atc
10-24-2006, 12:11 AM
i thought it was the float to at first. is the needle valve something that can be adjusted or do i have to replace it if it is bad? (how can i tell if it is bad?)

2new2atc
10-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Have you checked to see if the tail pipe is plugged up and or crank case ventilation tube is plugged ? It might be easier to start there.
Any history on the machine like was it sitting for years or recently running ?

john
it sat for almost 2 years i had to replace the prmary ignition coil. the tailpipe is not plugged and i will check the vent tubes thans for the info

troy
10-24-2006, 09:17 AM
A buddy of mine from work had a problem like this, His base was FULL of gas, it was sitting in his garage for about a year. The needle valve was stuck open and all the gas from the tank went into the bottom end. I would say in your case the needle valve is a good start to correct this problem where yours was sitting for 2 years.

2new2atc
10-24-2006, 09:58 AM
A buddy of mine from work had a problem like this, His base was FULL of gas, it was sitting in his garage for about a year. The needle valve was stuck open and all the gas from the tank went into the bottom end. I would say in your case the needle valve is a good start to correct this problem where yours was sitting for 2 years.
thanks troy ill try that

Unclediezel
10-24-2006, 07:11 PM
remove the carb and blow into the fuel inle...it should be clear, The flip it upside down and try again , it should be blocked.if either of these checks fail, rebuild the carb.It would definitely be advised to get fresh oil in it before you try running it.