PDA

View Full Version : tri-z / yz interchange parts

hrc85250r
10-23-2006, 09:25 PM
what years yz motors and which parts are swappable with the tri-z? i have a friend with a tri-z he blew up bad and just checking on cranks and whatnot from a yz will fit....thanks guys...

team-red-rider
10-23-2006, 09:31 PM
i say swap a yz490 motor into it LOL

maggiesboy
10-23-2006, 09:41 PM
cases and clutch are the same....
piston...

not sure what else

Bryan Raffa
10-23-2006, 10:06 PM
internals of the motors are the same but the left case is diffrent due to the diffrent style stator and cover..right side would be the kick start gears and added powervalve controlls in the right side.Top ends are power valved..Stick with the 85-86 motors and you'll be all set.

Mosh
10-23-2006, 10:10 PM
actually,the cases from the 85-86 yz 250 are identical to the tri- zcases. it is the left side crank journal that has to be changed to accept the tri-z stator.my tri-z is running 86 yz cases with the tri-z kicker gears clutch cover and left side crank journal form the tri-z.

Bryan Raffa
10-23-2006, 10:14 PM
thanks for clearing that up mosh!!;)

hrc85250r
10-24-2006, 12:32 AM
so the cranks, rod and whole top end minus the whole pv deal are the same?

OZQUAD44
10-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Can you just throw a YZ donk in there and run no lights?

Mosh
10-24-2006, 07:13 AM
the right half of the cranks are the same.if you want to run the tri-z stator,and keep your lights,you have to either drop in a tri-z crank,or swap the left crank journals from yz to tri-z.the taper on the left of the yz crank is different,than the tri-z and wont hold the tri-z flywheel.the tri-z flywheel is bigger than the yz flywheel.the rods are the same.every thing else in the lower end is identical is far as i know.i went thru this with mine.if you wanted to,you can just run the yz bottom end and crank and stator,but you wont have lights and you may need to splice the yz stator to the tri-z cdi box.the yz top end is somewhat different.i think it uses a different head gasket and the intake is bigger and a 6 bolt reed design and offsets to the side a little. but you can take out the power valve actuator in the yz bottom end and bolt a tri-z top end right on the yz bottom end.

OZQUAD44
10-24-2006, 07:18 AM
I know that in Australia some companies offer a kit so you can fit a lighting system to an MX bike.

I'm not sure how much these kits run into $$$?, but it may be easier, just to put an aftermarket coil system into a YZ motor than it would be to swap crank journals and cases across different engines.

Did you look into this Moshman355?

Mosh
10-24-2006, 06:59 PM
i did not look into the aftermarket lighting coil.In most cases those things run around 75 bucks or more.I had a bad tri-z rod and crank and a basically brand new yz crank in the yz engine.so i just swapped the good yz rod, to the tri-z crank for 50 bucks and dropped it back in the yz cases and installed the tri-z stator and flywheel.it has been running fine for almost a year now.since i never heard the motor run that i had,i split it down just to check everything out,so it really wasnt out of my way to do the swap.

TRI-Zbrian
10-24-2006, 07:18 PM
hey there this is brian... lol i herd jay blew his tri z up after spending 2 grand on it... any way dude if i were you... keep the tri z bottom end and get it rebuilt from what i saw that night he showed it to me he shouldnt of hurt anything bottom end wise any way... but being that engine as all stock... just get a crank rebuild kit... wiseco sells them and also hot rod cranks has them for like 80-100 bux... tell jay to not be cheap.... im trying to talk him into just rebuilding it all bottom to top weather it looks like it needs it or not and get the yamaha wrench report mods done to it...
when i get on my feet a bit i plan to get an 86 so i have the 6 speed.. im going to do one up white and red... i have had yellow and black and all black so id like to have on white and red for ounce... lol any way telljay i said hi... and you guys plan to be riding with me some time soon...
im actually writing this to you in rahab right now they got computers put in... so its not so bad...i had to stop my drinking problem so i am here... any way i wish you guys luck and dont let jay ruin that tri z... lol i think its funny i made a believer out of him he never even new what a tri z was till i left mine at his house while i was in school for him to mess around on.... i love the tri-z .... any way if you guys come accross a semi complete one def let me no... i am going to build a rideable up hill drag bike... but im not going to go to the extent that it cant be ridden normal...
any way ill see you guys when i get out... also if you need parts i know of a guy i bought my second tri z off of in a 518 area code that suposedly has a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* load of parts but im not ready to give that number out till i give him a call first.. lol...any way party on with the tri z.. and it sux it blew up on him... but what the helll the engine was all ariganal.. it was bound to happen eventually.... im betting that pipe thats on there ... when they through it on they never jetted it and it was running a tad bit lean...also i think he should get rid of the stock car and go with a 38 flat side along with the wrench report mods and soem new reeds and it will be a screamer... lol but you can tell him no matter what he does ill have an 86 thats faster... lol any way i gotta get going.....
and for the rest of you guys yes yes... im in rehab ive had some hard time the last 2 years with alcahol... im righting this in rehab as we speak... ill prolly be here a month as soon as i get out i plan to get a tri z and build something bad ass with it... im going to go all out this time...

TRI-Zbrian
10-24-2006, 07:26 PM
also i might add.. if he wants a quick revver he can swap for a tri zinger fly wheel and stator... you wont have lights but the lighter fly wheel will let it rev up real quick... another little hint that i shouldt give yah lol.... also with mine i plan to you the tri zinger tank and get rid of the feul pump and under seat gas tank all together ... you put the zinger tank under the air box lid and get rid of the air box and use a clamp on air filter... lol i should shut up now... any way im here if you need me dude i have researched a crap load about the tri z so i know a great deal of little tricks with them...

also if you do a search for my name i have a like 4 page long thread about what parts from othe rbikes will inter change with the tri z... things like reeds from newer yz 125 bikes will fit the tri z ... do a search for that sight it will help alot...

ceaserthethird
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Drink's on me * Tri-Z brian * as soon as you get out :beer - J/K

Post Up - keep us posted on damage

TRI-Zbrian
10-24-2006, 10:49 PM
yeah the night before i left for rehab.. he came to show me the bike.. he said it was locked solid and hadnt touched it all day.. i got up in the truck and it kiked over and wanted to start.. i think he just locked it up and it unlocked id bet all it would need is a frsh bore job and he would be set but with an engine all ariganal.. id go through it and rebuild the bottom end while i was at it ... and make sure when they through that pipe on there they didnt just bolt it up and leave it at that .. make sure it not running lean... but jay knows that.... lol i cant wate till im rolling with you guys again.... and lol about the drining maybe sometime way way down the road for now i have to consentrate on just getting my life stratend around lol...pick up on my old lost hobby again and build another tri z ... lol any way things are going good here also... its a real nice place lol but i still cant wate to get to leave it and work again ...but for now i have to deal with it i guess...

hrc85250r
10-25-2006, 01:06 AM
thanks for the advice brian, we are going to do that, im porting it for midrange and im doing his reeds and whatnot this winter, im gonna bore it as soon as he has the parts, we are going to do a crank rebuild as well as mains/seals basically because its so old and when anyhting goes on the top end even if just a piston, its best to at LEAST put new mains in it if not the rod kit too...i wonder who broke the kick lever....you can't stand on them you know....lol. and we are going to spec the bottom and and put all new seals and whatnot in it, whatever it needs really...i know he wants it to rip like my R, but idk how much $ he wants to put in it.it will be a good amount faster either way, once i get done with it, i think im gonna do jeremiah's xr200 too, i gotta talk to him...

OZQUAD44
10-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Moshman
Will the Tri-Z kick start gears just bolt on to 85/86 YZ motors? If so do they bolt on to other model YZs?
This makes the kicker go forward dosent it!

TRI-Zbrian
10-25-2006, 12:22 PM
since when did jer get an zr 200? lol he has an xr 100 that i know of that to me is a waste of time to mess with its been blown up like for million times it def has an air leak or something making it run hot and melt top ends so much........ any way yeah lol.... when i build an 86 im thinking about going power valved with it and keeping the 6 speed bottm end... along with mid to top end porting... so head work... im also going to use the zinger fly wheel and stater along with the zinger gas tank so i can get rid of the under seat one and the feul pump... onlything im wondering bout doing that is i like to go on long rides so i dont know if that will work out for me i may have to keep the under seat gas tank.... also lol when i kicked his bike over it was already free /// the kicker prolly got broke by him trying to get it started after that kicking it over like a million times.... i told him it would prolly start if he toed it but it reaaly needs a complete rebuild and what the hell look at it out side its winter... so its the perfect time to rebuild it.... you can bet ill be getting ahold of you guys when i get out....
when i find an 86 to restore if i cant find a desent engine to start from i am going to just go all out and buy a newer 2000 or newer yz 250 engine that way it will already be power valved and haver the newer longer lasting cylinder and put out a crap load more power then the old under ported tri z engines....i hate the idea that that yamaha only gave the tri z one boost port and a yz 125 sized reed cage.... youd think they would make it more like the yz 250 so it hadf that much better chance at competing with the 250r but its funny thqat they are fast as hell even with out it ... lol so party on garth and ill see you guys shortly after i get out ...

TRI-Zbrian
10-25-2006, 12:23 PM
oh and yes im pretty sure you can use the kick start gears from the tri z engine in the yz engine to make it kick forward like the tri z...

TRI-Zbrian
10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
here you go i started this way back it will help all of you out alot...

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=16277

03 ORANGE SHEE
10-25-2006, 06:39 PM
i have a powervalved yz motor in mine, i use a 83 motor, it has the biggest intake and has a straight inake unlike the other years, mines rips, ask anyone that went to trike fest for the past two years. i use the motoplat ignion, its like a pvl, i can pm you my number if you need all the info on what will and wont work...
YZ MOTOR KICK BACK, TRI-Z FOWARD, the gears are different

signed,
DR. TRI-Z

Mosh
10-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Moshman
Will the Tri-Z kick start gears just bolt on to 85/86 YZ motors? If so do they bolt on to other model YZs?
This makes the kicker go forward dosent it!on the 86 yz motor,if you use ALL the tri-z kicker gears they drop right in.throwqthe tri-z cover on and go.Yes it makes it just like a stock tri-z motor.At the time all i was concerned with was the 86 yz bottom end.so i know it works,that is what i have. if you go to www.yamaha-motor.com (http://www.yamaha-motor.com)
and cross reference all the tri-z to yz parts numbers,you will see the only thing different is the left hand crank journal.the cases are the same part numbers.if you were to order a set of tri-z cases,you will get 86 yz cases.

TRI-Zbrian
10-28-2006, 07:25 PM
so how is the tri z coming along.... lol im stuck here in rehab so i havent herd anything....i cant wate to get out to help with it and get one of my own prolly an 86 6 speed to build and beat jaces lol....:w00t: