PDA

View Full Version : could i get some tire advice?

crownpoint
10-23-2006, 03:43 PM
i need new tires for my 85 225dx. i mostly ride on trails and through the woods. the size of the tires on it are 22 x 11 x 8. i have been looking at all the tires available and like the looks of the holeshot tires. are these overkill for trail riding? what would people suggest? does it make sense to get a squared shoulder front tire as opposed to a rounded top one? thanks

mean350
10-23-2006, 03:47 PM
get some mud lites. holeshots are for racing

nouseforaname90
10-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Id personally go with a round front tire. A squared shoulder front tire probably wouldn't handle well.. thats what I think atleast.
And I'm not sure but Holeshots might look kind of weird on a 225 DX. For trail riding and such (especially for on a 225DX) I'd stick with wooley boogers or some kind of tread that looks a little more aggressive than Holeshots.

atctim
10-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Holeshots are good for trail riding - as well as racing. I would also recommend ITP Mudlights for trail riding.

Sargon2112
10-23-2006, 04:33 PM
I have Kenda Klaws on my 225... Great for trail riding.

El'Capitan
10-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Personally i think that low profile tires would be sweet on that. We put 22'' razrs on the SX and havent looked back. ALOT more stable than the taller round tires. just my .02:rolleyes:

maggiesboy
10-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I have 22" maxxis all trax on my tri-z, they move some earth :D

bigreddaddy
10-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Personally i think that low profile tires would be sweet on that. We put 22'' razrs on the SX and havent looked back. ALOT more stable than the taller round tires. just my .02:rolleyes:

Can you post some pics?

crownpoint
10-24-2006, 11:31 AM
i'd like to see some pics too. mudlites sound good but they do not have a front tire that would fit. the tires on it now are 22 - 11 - 8 . the front and the rear are the same size but different tires. the front one is a round knobby and the rears are flat topped ones look like klaws but bridgestones. the mudlites i was looking at were rated for the rear tires but looked like they would make good front tires. see where i am going with this?

random-strike
10-24-2006, 04:01 PM
turf tamers all the way

mark38090
10-24-2006, 04:41 PM
yeah. if they are square they wont roll...

hotrod 110
10-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Turf tamers are a good all round tire. I used them for racing my GasGas 300 but I also roosted my buddy while riding in deep snow. He looked like he was a snow drift!!!lol! Turf tamers come in a wide varity of sizes and they're fairley cheep.

random-strike
10-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Turf tamers are a good all round tire. I used them for racing my GasGas 300 but I also roosted my buddy while riding in deep snow. He looked like he was a snow drift!!!lol! Turf tamers come in a wide varity of sizes and they're fairley cheep.

:cool:

mine were $50 a peice

troy
10-24-2006, 09:24 PM
I went with the FOX A/T for my 200ERN, I love them for the grip in the sand and mud, also the snow will be flying here in Newfoundland soon

TimSr
10-24-2006, 11:23 PM
The rounded tires are run at lower psi, give a much softer ride, and give better traction in mud, and over logs, roots, and rocks. The downside is that they tip easier, and dont slide as well. For the riding you mentioned, the rounded profile tires would probably serve you better.

For your trike the stock Warrior or stock 400EX tires are excellent, and usually very inexpensive as used take-offs. If you get Warrior ones on rims, you can use Warrior hubs on your axle. TimJr runs Warrior take offs on his Blaster, and I used to run a set on my TRX250R.

I love the All Trax on my TriZ, but I feel its way too much tire for the 200 class 4 strokes.

Ive got several sets of Turf Tamers because we love them on the MX dirt track, but that and grassy fields are about all they are good for. They used to be very popular with quads for MX as well, but they now run mostly Holeshot type tread patterns. Yes, a trike will get through mud with half the tire a quad needs, but compared to other mud tires, Turf Tamers totally suck in the mud, and are worthless in sand. On top of that, they are very thin, and puncture easily. If you ride rocky wooded areas, make sure you carry plenty of plugs!

random-strike
10-24-2006, 11:28 PM
ive never poped a turf tamer, ive used them air'd down in the sand and they worked good.
i use them in mud daily and still can climb the same hills i could when it was dry

they are not mud tires though obviously...

Somekindofjerk
10-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Holeshots grab awsome on hard pack, grass, and pretty well in sand and dirt. But suck in the mud.

If you have alot of mud riding, get ITP mudlights. If you have very little mud get holeshots or turf tamers. Or if you want an all around good tire go for the 4-snow tire from denniskirk. They do awsome in any terrain:eek:

IrvSLedman
10-25-2006, 02:14 AM
I also run Turf Tamers on my X, there a pretty sweet tire, i havnt gotten stuck yet, and Iv gone through some pretty sticky stuff, I mean sure they aint no mudlites, but For just trail riding, their great, and they nice and flat, so there help with stability a little. Just my .02

Dave223
10-26-2006, 02:02 PM
for those that were curious, here are 20"almost bald Holeshots on an 85 Sx, with a 23" front tire. They slide good, but being almost bald, they suck in the mud. I can do a sliding 360 on wet grass!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/bethrcno/trikes/sx-after.jpg