PDA

View Full Version : New top-end......Too much compression?

InPiEcEs
10-21-2006, 11:40 PM
I got my 295 stuff back a while ago, and decided on waiting to use it.
I took my 86 jug and had a .010 over Wiseco Pro-Lite piston put in it. Just got the top-end done tonite. I used a CR head gasket when I buttoned it up.
I don't really know how many pounds of compression it has, but it is a bear to kick through.
I should have the motor running tomorrow, but I still need parts before my R is mobile.
Am I going to run into problems using the CR gasket and the 86 head. I also have an 88 head, which looks to have a larger dome.
Is it worth using the CR gasket, or is it just a minor improvement over using the ATC gasket?
One more Q....what about octane and jetting changes?
I know a lot of people have used the CR gasket, so they know the ups and downs of it.

deathman53
10-22-2006, 12:03 AM
no downs except requiring the use of race gas. all the rest about them is good.

Unclediezel
10-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Jet change is a necessary evil. As far as gaskets and the higher compression, if The requirement for hi -octane or race fuel and the aches and pains of starting the beast are tolerable, Enjoy!!!!!

InPiEcEs
10-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I think I'm gonna wait on getting the motor fired, till I get my new carb. I have a 36mm PWK quadvent coming.
Not sure of the jetting. If someone could get me in the ballpark on jetting for 1000' elevation, that would be great. :D
I plan on using Boyesen reeds in my stock cage, unless someone suggests something that will work better for aggressive trail use, and ice-racing.
I also plan on using my Turner pipe, which I found out is the high rev pipe, along with an FMF silencer.
As far as gearing I have 18" Fast Trekkers, and plan on using 14/36 gearing to make up for height difference from 20" stockers.