PDA

View Full Version : Shock Settings????? 86 manual anyone??

tyman
10-21-2006, 08:40 PM
While reading the "grade 8 bolt" thread... i noticed them talking about bottoming out... well my shock is very stiff on my 86 honda 200x... I only weigh 134 and my shock has been adjusted so it is about 1/2 inch away from as high as it can go... its on "2" on the dial thing... any suggestions? i do alot of trail riding and field riding... so its rough.. and i don't want it to bounce alot.. but a little softer ride would be nice.... thanks

tyman

EDIT: anyone know where to find a 86 200x owners manual at on the internet? like an internet copy :)?

3leggeddog
10-21-2006, 08:55 PM
is it stiff,or bouncy?if it's still to stiff with it the spring loosend up,try playing with your compression setting on the resivoir.there should be black,or gold knob on the resi.i belive you turn it left for softer,not for sure.

tyman
10-21-2006, 08:57 PM
hmm.. i don't remember seeing a knob?? their is a black one on the base of the shock that has numbers on it... but i don't remember seeing a knob... is it under the cap to fill it?

3leggeddog
10-21-2006, 08:59 PM
no,i thought they had one like a 250r.on the top of the resi ther is no compresion adjustment knob?i may be wrong,but i thought they had em.

tyman
10-21-2006, 09:01 PM
it may possibly be that black knob on the bottom of the shock.. perhaps it was relocated.... its got numbers on it.. 1-3 or 4 i believe...

3leggeddog
10-21-2006, 09:10 PM
yeah,it should be 1-4.i thought that was your rebound setting.is ther another screw on the bottom of the shock?did you try messing with the knob on the bottom?what happened?is the shock full of oil,and nitrogen?it's not blown out right

tyman
10-21-2006, 09:16 PM
the shock is fine.. if u push on the grab bar, it rebounds.. but the guy that had it before me was about 180.. and i'm 45 pounds less... and i feel like i'm riding a hard-tail.... its a little late to test ride tonight.. but tomorrow i'll try adjusting it down to one.... no knob that i've ever seen.... just a plain silver canister with a steel cap at the end that u have to pull off to put air in, which i don't think u can since it should have 280lb of nitrogen in it....

TimSr
10-22-2006, 02:38 PM
I dont know the 86 shock, but it sounds like you were describing a large locknut controlling spring tension. That is the preload adjustment, and thats what you want to mess with for a weight change. You want less preload on the spring for your weight. Id go as low as possible without excessive sagging.

Most dampining (knob or screw) adjustments have little effect on compression, and mostly control the rebound speed though some can be adjusted for both.