PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on what to be aware of when buying an R

Mr. Clean
10-20-2006, 12:36 PM
I am going to look at an 1985 atc 250r. What should I look for? I will be able to start and ride it first. Thanks!

team-red-rider
10-20-2006, 12:41 PM
look for green tranny oil also check the case around the shifter check the bearings and all of that kind of stuff

Kintore
10-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Look for milky tranny oil- means the waterpump seal is done and its leak rad fluid into the tranny

Take the rear grab bar and shake it back and forth and look for play in the rear bearings

Check compression for a good top end, make sure its cold when you start it, then you will know its good and the guy selling didnt just start it up for you.

Look for normal things like, tires hold air, no frame cracks, front end is straight.

Mr. Clean
10-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Checking the bearings requires grabbing one wheel at a time and looking for minimal or excessive play? Does this apply to front and rear. How bout swing arm bearings?

Mr. Clean
10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Look for milky tranny oil- means the waterpump seal is done and its leak rad fluid into the tranny

Take the rear grab bar and shake it back and forth and look for play in the rear bearings

Check compression for a good top end, make sure its cold when you start it, then you will know its good and the guy selling didnt just start it up for you.

Look for normal things like, tires hold air, no frame cracks, front end is straight.

Thanks guys, I am going to ask that he does not start the bike and that it is cold to the touch. He stated it is a 1 or 2 kick deal. Compression test, I have one that I use for my small block chevy. Will that work and what numbers am I looking for? What is the procedure for this two stroke to check compression same as a four stroke? Sorry for the questions I just do not want surprises. Thanks again.

breastman569
10-20-2006, 12:55 PM
it should work just screw it into the sparkplug hole and kick it a couple of times i think if its stock the compression should be around 140-150 but im not sure.

SYKO
10-20-2006, 02:58 PM
it also all depends on how much he is asking fot it, if its 500 then some things can pass, if it 2500 then pick it over well

deathman53
10-20-2006, 03:11 PM
also check for a stuck swingarm bolt, along with the bearings, bring a 22mm and 19mm socket with you and ratchet. stuck swinger bolts are a real pain to get out and ususally involve cutting of the swinger and/or bolt. I had lots of expeirence with used bikes and stuck swingarm bolts.

InPiEcEs
10-20-2006, 09:22 PM
You will have to remove the gas tank to get the compression tester threaded into the plug hole. It is not in a very open area. I looked at my notes that I kept for my 86, and mine had 175 lbs warm, WOT around the time I got it. Deathman is right, stuck swingarm bolts suck bad, so first thing I would do is go through the rear suspension linkages. I found more wear then I would have thought in mine when I tore my R down, so now I plan on periodic checks of my linkages. Another thing I found on mine, is that the rebound adjuster was stuck on my old shock. There is a knob on the nitrogen canister, and an adjuster on the side of the shock near the bottom bolt. Make sure those are free, and that the rear shock actually still has damping.

grundlegrabber
10-20-2006, 11:47 PM
One common area of concern on the Rs is cracking of the swingarm. Check around the slits in the back, where the bolts pinch down on the bearing carrier. The swingers tend to crack around that area. Check the linkage bushings for slop by lifting the rear end, without lifting the wheels off the ground. Some of those bushings are no longer available. And definitely check the left side engine case for damage around the drive sprocket and shifter shaft boss. Like Kintore said, look for the milky case oil. And yes, swingarm bolt seizure is a common problem with Honda. Consider yourself lucky if you ever get one of those that comes out easily. One last thing- check the rear axle for straighness. Run it in gear with someone lifting the rear end. I've found so many with bent axles, it seems rare to find a straight one. Good luck!

Mr. Clean
10-21-2006, 04:12 AM
Thanks guys, hopefully my truck bed will be full of Honda red when I return home!!!