PDA

View Full Version : gap on reeds

Dave223
10-19-2006, 09:38 PM
ok i cant find anything in my manual. i have an 84 250r and its got a good size gap under the reeds btween the reed cage and reeds. Should there be? how do you set the gap?
I am ordering a carb rebuild kit tonite, and Im considering a new set of reeds also, there are 5 sets shown for an 84 http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/MMYSkuDisplay.jsp;jsessionid=UQNTI45DO2F15LA0WTKSM 4VMDK0NCIV0?leafCatId=11104&catId=111&store=Main&mmyId=6694

which set would you order? I want to make the order tonite so that it ships tomorrow.

Chucksoup
10-19-2006, 09:52 PM
There should be no gap on your reeds. If you have the old metal ones with the three stops behind them, its time to replace them. I recomend Boyesen Power reeds. They work great. I put them on my 85 250r and I could hold open first second and third gear wide open for about 2 seconds longer then the old metal ones. They work great. Make sure when replacing your reeds that you use LockTight on the screws that hold the reeds on the cage, or els you might blow your top end when a screw works its way loose and into your topend. :lock:

Dave223
10-19-2006, 10:16 PM
hey thanks for the reply, I wanted to make that order for my carb rebuild kit but wanted to oreder reeds at the same time..I go on vacation next Monday and wanted everything to arrive next week! If I can get this thing running right, the following weekend we are going to our local area for the day. My current reeds do have the stops on em, and the gap is quite large1 so I ordered the Boysen super stock reeds. Do they go on as packaged or do I have to put the stops on them from my old one? Thanks again, Dave

TtownJoeShow
10-19-2006, 10:22 PM
i'm pretty sure with those reeds (super stock) you have to use the old reed stops. If the reeds come with a couple thin strips of metal then use them in place of the original reed stop

Bryan Raffa
10-19-2006, 10:43 PM
yes your right. take the reed stops off with after market

03 ORANGE SHEE
10-20-2006, 07:27 AM
you can flip them over and they will perform like new again

junkrider
10-20-2006, 07:36 AM

Seriously? I've never heard of that being done... Makes sense, I guess, so long as the reeds aren't cracking,split or brittle.

Have you actually ever tried that?

03 ORANGE SHEE
10-20-2006, 11:50 AM
i have done it, it works! if youre in a bind to ride, or cant wait a week for a new to set to come in. but i have done this and fipped them numerus times without them breaking off or anything bad

TtownJoeShow
10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
i've flipped them too, but it didn't las very long say 6 hours of riding then they had a gap again

Pete
10-20-2006, 03:11 PM
just replace them, they're cheap. You don't want one of those things breaking off and eating up your topend or crank.

Dave223
10-20-2006, 04:28 PM
well I am having serious problems with my r, wont run much past idle, plug is wet black and oily. I pulled my carb and found a 148 main jet in it. After looking thru the manual I found that its supposed to be 135? 130? Anyhow, its really bigger than stock and fould the plug after about 10 minutes. I figured since Im rebuilding the carb,(mostly to replace the jets) I would go ahead and replace the reeds.

Thanks for the help, and the advice, Dave

X2guy
10-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Do you have a pipe and is your air box opened up? It may be jetted up for that reason. Small gaps in reeds can be tolerated but nothing over 1mm.

Dave223
10-20-2006, 11:03 PM
pipe is stock, whole bike is stock except for the grab bar, but Im not sure how much I need to jet up for that?:lol: J/K Dave

Wickedfinger
10-20-2006, 11:25 PM
... as long as they're not frayed on the edges or cupped/warped.

Unclediezel
10-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Not to Hijack the thread, But I have a nasty misfire just off Idle and cant condemn the Ignition. Will the "REED FLIP " work long enough for testing purposes?

TimSr
10-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Reeds should periodically be flipped for extended life, even if you are not having problems with them, especially fiber type. Ive alwasy dont it on everything that had them. They will keep working like new and the "fix" will hold its shape as long as a new set of reeds. They dont need replaced unless they are chipped or cracked.