PDA

View Full Version : 86 Tecate questions?

brrcuda
10-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Anyone know where I can obtain the tecate fuel petcock gaskets. All the schematics for this bike online have the complete unit only at approx. 45 dollars.I know i just need the two gaskets inside to fix my leak. Any cross reference to other kawa bikes that you know about?

Also I am having an issue with starting the bike. I got it to go twice without the airbox but it revved way out and i just cut the engine quickly. Now I installed the airbox with new uni filter and can not get it to start. All new gaskets and carb cleaned out and new intake rubber boot.

Whats the correct position for the idle air screw? I hear all the way out and i also hear all the way in on these tecates. What is it?

Any help would be great - thanks - I am dying to get this bike running right and my leg is killing me from kicking it over each night.

Hornetpowerspor
10-19-2006, 09:24 AM
If it revs to the moon, you may have an vacuum leak somewhere. The air screws are usually between 1 3/4 out to 2 1/2 out. If you are past 2 /34 out, you should step up to the next size pilot jet. As for the petcock gaskets, you can find metric o-rings that will work on the lever, but the gasket in there is discontinued.Hope that helps.

OZQUAD44
10-19-2006, 09:39 AM
I bought the Packing for inside my fuel tap in 2005, and got some generic o-rings for the other sealing surfaces.

My tecate always revs to the moon on startup when cold then once it warms up its dies down to the point where it won't even idle.

I then wind the screw on the side of the carby in enough to get some idle back so I can ride it.

I think the Idle thing is related to the high compression I'm running, any tips on the rev too the moon thing?

Hornet, Did you get my last lot of messages?

OZQUAD44
10-19-2006, 09:44 AM
What air screw are you talking about. On the 87 carby there is only one external adjustment on the carby and that determines the stop position for the slide in the carby.

As you unscrew that adjuster it lowers the slide stop point. the more you turn it out the lower the idle is. That sort of contradicts what your saying about the pilot jet Hornet?

Hornetpowerspor
10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
The screw that adjusts your slide is just your idle screw. There is an air mixture screw on the carb that helps fine tune your air fuel mixture at idle. That is the screw that I was referring to.

moose 53
10-19-2006, 10:47 AM
This is why I like Tecates so much .The gasket is easy to make .Get a piece of cork gasket material just a little thicker then your old rubber one and punch a new one out ,use the old one for a pattern.It will be tight at first but when it seats in it will work perfect.It is also more alcohol resistant then rubber.:Bounce

brrcuda
10-19-2006, 11:12 AM
thanks guys - this is good information.

moose53 - i will have to try that idea to fix my leak. Its amazing that they dicountinue these types of parts that will inevitably fail sooner or later.

Nice to get some tecate discussions going too - not enough of that around here lately.

hrc85250r
10-19-2006, 12:04 PM
I bought the Packing for inside my fuel tap in 2005, and got some generic o-rings for the other sealing surfaces.

My tecate always revs to the moon on startup when cold then once it warms up its dies down to the point where it won't even idle.

I then wind the screw on the side of the carby in enough to get some idle back so I can ride it.

I think the Idle thing is related to the high compression I'm running, any tips on the rev too the moon thing?

Hornet, Did you get my last lot of messages?

you have an airleak, check your intake boot for cracks...high compression will not affect idle like that, i think you have the idle screw and air screw confused...

OZQUAD44
10-19-2006, 05:28 PM
I have looked all over my Carby and can only find the Idle screw.

I can't find an air screw anywhere on it.

Could someone please post a picture or explain where this elusive air mixture screw is on an 87 Tecate carby?

Jeb
10-23-2006, 02:07 PM
My B1 has the stock carb and I believe it only has an idle screw also. I'll check later. In the meantime, parts schematics on line would show you it only has one screw.

OZQUAD44
10-24-2006, 07:59 AM
I was on Tecate connection the other day an in the "tips for young players" section it says, " throw away the 87 Carby". Now I believe it was refering to the Tecate 4. Does anyone know if the 87 T4 and T3 have the same carbies and if so what is bad about them? Apart from a missing air mixture screw!

Also I was reading a thread a while back and someone said that the stock reed cage on an 86/87 Tecate needs something removed to make it go better. Anyone know anything about this?

brrcuda
10-24-2006, 09:44 AM
When i opened up my reed cage - there was a square white plastic piece that looked like it would obstruct the air flow. It fit into the cage around the outer edge and seems like it was a airflow governing piece. Looked OEM too - mine was warped though so i took it out. I can get a pic of it tonight to show you.

One of these days i will pick up a service manual for my tecate.:)

My carb only has one screw on the outside. Got the tecate started again but not yet tuned. I think it has issues with low levels of gas and starting.
Paul

Red Rider
10-24-2006, 11:38 AM
When i opened up my reed cage - there was a square white plastic piece that looked like it would obstruct the air flow. It fit into the cage around the outer edge and seems like it was a airflow governing piece.Brrcuda, the piece you describe is a reed cage stuffer. It's meant to eliminate the turbulence and smooth out the airflow through the reed cage. If the air flows through the cage smoothly, it'll flow more air than the same cage with turbulent airflow.

brrcuda
10-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Brrcuda, the piece you describe is a reed cage stuffer. It's meant to eliminate the turbulence and smooth out the airflow through the reed cage. If the air flows through the cage smoothly, it'll flow more air than the same cage with turbulent airflow.

interesting- thanks for the info. Its funny cause I can not find it in the parts schematic as a separate part to purchase- at least on bikebandits site. Mines all warped from heat on the bottom.

OZQUAD44
10-25-2006, 07:53 AM
I've seen two Tecates with cracked inlet boots, does Kawasaki still make the rubber inlet boots?

If any of You Tecate BLokes are looking radiator shrouds or headlight plastics for your 86 or 87 Tecates I can highly recommend the product Hornetpowersports sells. I just recieved a package from him today and I can honestly say I'm very impressed. I can't wait to put the stuff on my Tecate.

fabiodriven
10-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Paul, did you ever have any luck with fixing this leaking petcock? Mine needs the little o-ring that seals the gas from leaking out of the switch. I tried some generic o-rings, but they're too thick. Anybody know of where I can get an o-ring like this? Kawi doesn't list them.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/PA050026.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/PA050025.jpg

3Razors
10-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Fabio don't even mess with the Tecate petcock anymore, just buy a new OEM one for a banshee, any year will work. It bolts on and is night and day better than the tecate one.

If your set on using the tecate one, I have rebuilt a few using generic O-rings from Ace hardware...just have to search very hard for one that is thin or stretch a small one out to make it thinner. The bolt holes on the faceplate of the petcock usually strip out, so I drill them all the way through and put a longer bolt with a nut on the other side.

brrcuda
10-05-2008, 04:23 PM
My leak was from the inside flat gasket for the gas line openings. I just built one good one from two as i wanted to keep the original petcock on mine. I ended up with 2 tanks....

Cant wait to see that 500 at the pits sometime:beer

fabiodriven
10-05-2008, 06:07 PM
My leak was from the inside flat gasket for the gas line openings. I just built one good one from two as i wanted to keep the original petcock on mine. I ended up with 2 tanks....

Cant wait to see that 500 at the pits sometime:beer

You got an extra tank? Now I need a tank, too. The more wrenches I spin, the more problems I find. I swear, it's never gonna end. Please tell me you've got a tank you're willing to part with- I'm going nutz over here:drool: :crazy: :crazy: :drool: . On the bright side, when the machine IS finally done, there won't be a nut or bolt that hasn't been already taken care of.

Oh, btw- I did the same thing with putting together two petcocks and fixed that particular issue. Now I have two fuel tanks that both leak from bolt holes that dummies tried to repair.

I'm seriously considering fabbing a tank from sheetmetal, no joke-

BELGIUM KXT250
01-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Did you try with the petcock rebuild kit listed on ebay ? seems that it should work isn't ?

fabiodriven
01-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Did you try with the petcock rebuild kit listed on ebay ? seems that it should work isn't ?

Just bought one yesterday, thanks!

petesatc
01-20-2009, 09:12 AM
got my kit off ebay last week and going to fit it tonight will let you know how good they are...

BELGIUM KXT250
01-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Great. Could you tell us if it's work ok when you will install it please ? Because I would like to buy one too. Thanks

BELGIUM KXT250
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I decided to buy one of these kits and I installed mine today and it's work fine no leak at all. Great kit bought on ebay.

fabiodriven
02-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Sweet! I haven't yet installed mine.

ScottZJ
02-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I got the banshee petcock and works great! Much easier than trying to rebuild or find another.

fabiodriven
02-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Installed my Tecate petcock rebuild kit and seems to work great. Will know more tomorrow after ride.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KLF300-Bayou-Fuel-Valve-Repair-Kit-KLF220-KLF250-Tecate_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q 3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c29 3Q3a3Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZi tem120384700021QQitemZ120384700021QQptZMotorsQ5fAT VQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories