PDA

View Full Version : good bike? not good bike?

kyle
04-08-2003, 06:40 PM
i have a 1986 Honda 250SX. i just got it a few days ago. today was the 1st day i really went out and rode it on the trails and in the mud. i was just wanting some opinions on if this bike is good on the trails, in the mud, in the water, up the hills. etc.....the bike is all stock and i was also wondering what are some things i can do to give it more power. thank you

3WheelsForever
04-08-2003, 07:31 PM
My 250sx is a great and dependable trail machine. They actually do allright in the water. So far my brother and I havent had any major problems. They are allright for climbing hills but the only thing I dont like about a 250sx is the drum brakes. Other than that the 250sx is a great all around machine. Hopefully yours is to, have fun!

Howdy
04-08-2003, 07:59 PM
My 250sx is a great and dependable trail machine. They actually do allright in the water. So far my brother and I havent had any major problems. They are allright for climbing hills but the only thing I dont like about a 250sx is the drum brakes. Other than that the 250sx is a great all around machine. Hopefully yours is to, have fun!

3wheelersForever, I think I know the fool that sold you that 250sx.

The 250sx's are good machines. I have owned a few of them.
Howdy

bbechtel16
04-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Think of the SX like the Accord, only if you like the Accord though. Great around, jack of all trades, that stuff.

If you want more pow'r, start with a Cobra pipe from Dennis Kirk ($100), a beefy intake (K&N, Uni, Amsoil $20-50 i think), consider making a vented airbox lid, and do some rejetting once you get that stuff.

If you want to get more extreme add the piston in my sig to your list (www.powroll.com $25+S&H a steal) and new cam and valve springs from www.webcamshafts.com ($110-like 180+S&H depending on options).

Other stuff you might consider: An entire front end assembly from a 200X, 350X, or 250R for improved handling, better front brakes, and possibly a weight reduction manuvure. If you get that consider progressive rate springs for those forks from Dennis Kirk. I know at least someone on here has them for 350X forks and talked well of them, although I think they were somewhat expensive. They are designed to provide a smooth ride but under big jumps and stuff they stiffen up near the ends of the travel so it doesn't bottom out. Aluminum rear wheels would give it a nice look and make it lighter, but there's the cost and danger of bending them if you don't get ones beefy enough or beat them too much. 350X carb, more pow'r (probably only useful if you get the piston and cam)! 350X rear shock, gas shock, rebounds slower and helps dampen long rough spots in the trail. I think that's it. Wow, that was a longer list than I thought I was going to have. If only I had any money....

84250r
04-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Hey bbechtel16,

Where did you get that disc gaurd from. Thanks

bbechtel16
04-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Maier 350X front disk gaurd. My friend got that for it before he sold it to me. I think he got it out of Dennis Kirk.