PDA

View Full Version : Old school Tecate surging?

Tecate250
10-17-2006, 06:21 PM
I redone my tecate top end with new piston, rings, bore job and new gaskets from Cometic.
The head gasket was great.
The base gasket was a pile of crap and blew out due to the lack of gasket area.
And now I replaced the gasket with silcone. 2 different brands. Heat copper silicone and gasket that can be used around gas. But the first one blew out and the cylinder rattled off. the second is still intact but it is now surging. Can you use these silicone for base gaskets or should I use other means Like pop case cardbord.
Also What is the air screw set at on the 83 or 84 kx 250?
I think I have the carb and magneto and stator off this model.
Please help me

BigGreenMachine
10-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Cheap fixes like silicone are a no no for base gaskets. Go buy the right gasket from Kawi. I haven't had a problem with base gaskets and I only use Cometic.

jason 32
10-17-2006, 11:27 PM
i was thinking of roofin paper not the thick stuff ,i took a propain torch to it and it doesnt burn it just tacks up sticky!!
just an idea
cosmetics gaskets arent worth a sh!!t

MTS
10-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Better than Versa.......Go get a OEM kawie Gasket and call it good......Silicone is baad...

BigGreenMachine
10-18-2006, 03:42 PM

Roofing paper versus a Cometic gasket...dude sell the Tecate to someone who will fix it right. Sorry but thats just plain foolish.

The KX had different porting in the motor which called for different jetting. The air screw should be 1 1/2 to 2 turns out for the Tecate.

troy
10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I have to agree here. Theres no room for half approach work on a engine. Nothing like 50kilometer away from home and a poorly done job letting go. just buy the OEM gaskets and call it done

BigGreenMachine
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Surging is a condition of being too rich. Basicly its unburnt fuel in the cylinder that when you let off the throttle is still being burnt and making the bike surge. Racers set the bike up so it does not idle to prevent surging when they are going into a corner.

You will need to adjust the pilot and air screw to get rid of surging.

Tecate250
10-18-2006, 05:46 PM
My buddy has a tri z and he always uses silicone for base gaskets.
As for the gasket from kawasaki, is it still avaliable?
My luck is it will be on back order like all my stuff always is.
And if it was too rich wouldnt the base gasket leaking lean it out?

random-strike
10-18-2006, 05:50 PM
My buddy has a tri z and he always uses silicone for base gaskets.
As for the gasket from kawasaki, is it still avaliable?
My luck is it will be on back order like all my stuff always is.
And if it was too rich wouldnt the base gasket leaking lean it out?

if there is a air leak in the base gasket it will make it surge.

why dont you get a new gasket, whichever is cheapest, and use the gasket + silicone. works for me.

ive used silcone as a head gasket on my go kart motor, not quite a high po 2 stroke trike motor but it worked and still is on there haha :P

BigGreenMachine
10-18-2006, 06:15 PM
If there was an air leak chances are its sucking freeze into the motor as well. Again, your cheap fix is gonna cost you a whole lot more then a $20 gasket set.

I'm not sayin silicone won't work, its just bad practice to use it in such a important location, don't you think?

fastleo
10-18-2006, 06:34 PM
fix it right or sell it to me for 50.00 dollars lol

Erics350x
10-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Atleast pick up a cheap rool of gasket material from an auto parts store.

OZQUAD44
10-19-2006, 08:12 AM
I belive that you can still get base gaskets, got to kawasaki.com and look at their on line parts catalogs. Shouldn't be too hard to find, then go to an online cycle parts company and order yourself a new gasket.

I't will be on your doorstep within a week I reckon.

Stop pissing around with crappy half arse fix it attempts, Like other people have said here. It ends up costing you in the long run.

Plus when you do a job right it gives you a real sense of achievment.

Happy gasket hunting

Sargon2112
10-19-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm sure you can still get the gasketts. I had a 1980 KDX250 and bought a complete gaskett set for it just 2 years ago from Kawasaki... I'm sure you can get them for yours if I had no trouble getting them for a 1980 model.

Tecate250
10-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Im not saying that. Im also talking other 2 strokes as well. Machines that You cant find parts for. Im thinking of sending my crank away and fixing things that should have been on it. There is a guy who says there is a place where you can send your crank in quebec to get it rebalanced new con rod and all for 340$ cnd of course.

Tecate250
10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Ive gone ahead and am doing a seal change on my bike.
I really want to change my berrings but dont have the cash flow right now.

darrel632
10-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Your base gasket is avail. it cost me 6 bucks for one a month ago, the head gasket was 26 and the stator gasket was 14, if you use silicon it will be good for me cause I need some of your engine electrics / parts, you won't be running it for another 50 hours. Your bearings, if your talking swinger and dogbone are about 25 each you need 6 (2 swinger, 2 midmount dog bone, one for each end of the dog for the shock and arm.) if you change before they are totaled its 150 bucks, you wait and it will be bearings + 6 bushings (another 150.00) + 6 or 8 dust caps (another 150 bucks) + bolts (210) 675 dollars total + any damage to the swing arm, do the math!! of course these prices are in CDN so take off 20% for US funds, whats your bike worth to you?

Tecate250
10-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Actually I ruined a swingarm. My 84 is pretty much cracked all over and never broke. But Im plagued with the shock problems. Not having the right length alone. Let alone preload ect. I have alot of parts. Im only missing a frame axel and crank for the 84. But I owned almost 2 running t3s.