PDA

View Full Version : kxt cylinder question...

scooterroo
10-16-2006, 10:19 PM
ok i am looking at this cylinder on ebay, looks nice but i am reading it is cross hatch honed. ok. i was just wondering if that is ok to do tecate cylinders seeing is how they are supposed to be nykasil plated, correct? do you hone nykasil cylinders?

Hornetpowerspor
10-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Yes that is fine, you have to have a cross hatch pattern to help seat the new rings. Be careful that it is not a worn out cyl that someone just cross hached to push off on e-bay.

BigGreenMachine
10-17-2006, 06:45 AM
If they honed the Nikisel then they ruined the cylinder. You do not hone Nikisel, just clean it and put in new rings.

Some people should not breed.

pipeliner3481
10-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Yes you do cross hatch Nikisal, it has to be done with a special diamond hone, if they bored it and than honed it, yes it is ruined, if they cleaned up the the Nikisal cylinder with the diamond hone and put a cross hatch in it it is all right, just make sure it is not worn out of spec.

OZQUAD44
10-17-2006, 08:03 AM
OK there are two different responses here, both from guys who usually have sensible things to say on this site.

Anyone got a definative answer on this one?

I'd like a response from someone who has actually changed a few sets of rings on a plated bore motor if possible.

Thanks in advance

TtownJoeShow
10-17-2006, 08:31 AM
i'm with BigGreenMachine, cause those cylanders are plated, the rings are the cast iron

deathman53
10-17-2006, 08:33 AM
I changed pistons and rings on my 250r nickel-sil pv clinder twice, I was advised not to hone it, just use a scrotch brite and some oil to clean it up, but do it lightly!!!!!!!

Hornetpowerspor
10-17-2006, 09:48 AM
My friend and I bought brand new Polaris 600 snomobiles. I pulled the motors apart when they were brand new to do some performance mods. The factory nikasil cylinders had been honed and you could clearly see the cross hatch pattern. Does that mean that the morons from polaris ruined all of their production snomobiles because the cylinders were cross hatched?? Come on.

BigGreenMachine
10-17-2006, 10:57 AM
My friend and I bought brand new Polaris 600 snomobiles. I pulled the motors apart when they were brand new to do some performance mods. The factory nikasil cylinders had been honed and you could clearly see the cross hatch pattern. Does that mean that the morons from polaris ruined all of their production snomobiles because the cylinders were cross hatched?? Come on.

I have seen a lot of melted cylinders of Polaris...so maybe? :drool: (j/j)

I'm not gonna argue as I have no experience with cold honing but do not take a hone and drill and go at your Tecate cylinder. If thats what THIS SELLER has done then yes the cylinder is ruined,,,

Hornetpowerspor
10-17-2006, 11:23 AM
First of all, a hone would have nothing to do with melting a piston, and 2nd, if you read my first post, I stated the same thing that you just did (make sure it isn't some worn out cyl that someone run a hone through just to push off on e-bay) I didn't reply to this post to argue, I replied to try to help him out and I gave him my opinion based on my experiences, thats all.

ATCWRENCH
10-17-2006, 02:26 PM
www.kustom-kraft.com does nikisil plating on any and all cylinders and they diamond hone all the cylinders to an extremely tight spec before they are sent out. non-plated and plated cylinders have to be honed to insure that a perfect radial bore is there to insure proper ring seating.

tecatecrazy
10-17-2006, 05:22 PM
I have always ran a hone thru my cylinder when I replace the rings but, I only use my hand and turn the hone only a few times, never with a powered drill.

Joe

TimSr
10-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Im going to say everybody is right, kind of. Once a cylinder is plated it must be honed to spec before use as part of the plating process. It is done with specialized precision equipment that is a little more sophisticated than chucking a $12 hone into your drill. This is a one time deal. Once the plated cylinder is honed by whoever plates it, it should NEVER be re-honed! Just change the rings.

As for the original post, I would question the seller, as to whether its been resleeved. It was very common practice to releeve old Kaws with standard iron cylinders to avoid dealing with the aspects of plating. If it is an original cylinder that is nikasil plated, and he honed it, I agree that he ruined it, unless he is in the business of nikisil palting.

jason 32
10-17-2006, 11:19 PM
its to clean up the cylinders,and help the rings seal
-you cant hone or bore past the plating
you can always sleeve it / or recoat it
some ppl shouldnt what??? your right lol
closed minds never think of anything