PDA

View Full Version : 84 200x timing.

junkrider
10-15-2006, 01:02 PM
I have a problem with my 200x. Fresh rebuild, one of many I've done.

I did this rebuild without a manual, set the valve time at TDC, lined the cam sprocket to the marking at the top of the head. Lined the keyway on the crank to vertical to the top of the head. I used the "o" mark on the cam gear and lined that to the mark on the valve cover.

I then set the chain adjuster. Then, I set the ignition timing to the "F" mark on the flyweel in the timing hole.

Is this the correct procedure? My plugs come out wet, but no fuel is dripping. I cleaned the carb and blew out the passages, set the air/fuel 2-1/4 turns out, that carb is fine.

Fresh plug, ngk DR8ES-L. Checked for spark, it is fine, even put it on an oscilloscope to verify pulse regularity when kicking. Looks good.

Set the valve gap in/out at what I think is TDC to .08mm cold.

The main symptom, besides not starting with fuel or with fuel turned off and pumping starting fluid is this: Tried kicking with no air filter and it burped air out the carb, and started a fire in the air box. This is why I think I screw up on the valve timing. Anyone have a scan of the procedure from a manual or a decent way for me to verify the valve timing? I know the basics on how to do it, but I don't know for sure that I'm using the right references or have interpretted the references properly.

Thanks for any help in this.

-mike

junkrider
10-15-2006, 01:02 PM
I have a problem with my 200x. Fresh rebuild, one of many I've done.

I did this rebuild without a manual, set the valve time at TDC, lined the cam sprocket to the marking at the top of the head. Lined the keyway on the crank to vertical to the top of the head. I used the "o" mark on the cam gear and lined that to the mark on the valve cover.

I then set the chain adjuster. Then, I set the ignition timing to the "F" mark on the flyweel in the timing hole.

Is this the correct procedure? My plugs come out wet, but no fuel is dripping. I cleaned the carb and blew out the passages, set the air/fuel 2-1/4 turns out, that carb is fine.

Fresh plug, ngk DR8ES-L. Checked for spark, it is fine, even put it on an oscilloscope to verify pulse regularity when kicking. Looks good.

Set the valve gap in/out at what I think is TDC to .08mm cold.

The main symptom, besides not starting with fuel or with fuel turned off and pumping starting fluid is this: Tried kicking with no air filter and it burped air out the carb, and started a fire in the air box. This is why I think I screw up on the valve timing. Anyone have a scan of the procedure from a manual or a decent way for me to verify the valve timing? I know the basics on how to do it, but I don't know for sure that I'm using the right references or have interpretted the references properly.

Thanks for any help in this.

-mike

Somekindofjerk
10-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Check compression, your valve lash should only be about .002-.004

Levithan
10-15-2006, 02:06 PM
How did a fire start in the airbox? First of all, the flywheel should be at the "T" when its timed, not the "F". Also when We timed our bike, we screwed up and accidentally put the sprocket in upside down. So, when I time the bike, I have to remember that the O has to be at the bottom, not at the top. In either case, you should download the manual, which is located on the forums. Well, good luck to ya!

junkrider
10-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Check compression, your valve lash should only be about .002-.004

.08mm is .003-.004 inches. But, thanks, though.

junkrider
10-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Okay guys... Sometimes I am so friggin stupid. Turns out the problem was I thought choke was down. CHOKE IS UP!!!

Anyway, compression is 150 at WOT. Apparently, I did okay with no book, cuz it runs great. What the **** is wrong with me?

Thanks for the replies though. Just ran it for 10 minutes for breakin, need to rinse and repeat a few more times.

-mike

junkrider
10-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Leviathan... maybe i did the timing at "T"... There are 2 marks on the flywheel, I figured static time is usually advanced, so I used the first mark clockwise.

Anyway, throttle response off idle seems good. Now I must put the chain on and fenders.

:) :) :) :) :) :D

Happy happy joy joy.

Somekindofjerk
10-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Good to see you got it figured out, Post pics?

scooterroo
10-15-2006, 05:49 PM
your cam could be 180 degrees out, try loosening the bolts on the cam sprocket, turn the cam 180 degrees, basically line up the bolt holes, and tighten them up and give it a rip, sounds alot like a problem i have had before in the past.

junkrider
10-15-2006, 07:32 PM
pix coming. not pretty yet. didn't paint it. ebay basket case.

junkrider
10-15-2006, 07:33 PM
uh.... didn't know i doubled... sorry.
btw... found the problem (didn't realize choke positions)... learn sumtin new everyday. lol. :)