PDA

View Full Version : 250r parts motr has a 300 kit ,where do I get a piston

dufrain
10-13-2006, 05:35 PM
I got an 82 ,250r parts motor off ebay.It was stuck from sitting .While I was tearing it down I noticed it has a diferent looking cylinder and head than the original one on my other motor.I thought it looked like the ones on the 83-84 so I just figured someone had swappped one on there.I was just looking at it and slid my old stock piston in there and it has about 1/4 inch or more clearence.I think this is one of those Hondaline 300 big bore kits like was on ebay a few weeks ago.I only paid 50 sum dollars for this whole thing because the guy didint put a pic on ebay,so I think I made out pretty good. The cylinder just has the surface rust where moisure had gotten in there.the rings are stuck in the piston from rust.I think It would be best to have this honed or bored and a new piston and rings .My question is where in the world do I get the right piston for this,

dufrain
10-13-2006, 05:46 PM
I looked on service Honda and they call it the atc300r kit.Looks like the only pistons left from the dealer are standard and 1.0 over bore.I hate to go that far overbore.If anyone knows where to call about a piston let me know.thanx

Eric250R
10-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, if the cylinder only has surface rust and they do offer a standard bore 300 piston, could you just use a bottle honer and clean it up ? Then you wouldn't have to bore it any further.

firefirefire90
10-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Honda no longer makes the 300R piston. You will have to search around old honda dealers or use a Kawasaki 650 Jetski piston...the jetski is a dual cylinder and i dont really know the rest of the story on that. Do some searching around, i'm sure someone has more information on it.

TtownJoeShow
10-13-2006, 06:59 PM
theres a thread on here that says to use a TRX 330 piston. thats all it says, another says to use a Oddesy big bore piston, i looked it up in the wiseco book and it doesnt seem to b the one...i have given up for now (lookin that is) since my bottom end is foobared, but i'll try to get back on it tomorrow.....OH someone here posted some pictures of their piston, i could make out 1748A 894M and __.94mm (i couldn't make out the first 2 digits) i pm'ed the guy but no responce.. the trike was an 84 it was posted just a few days ago! good luck and let me know what you come up with!

oh and the top end i bought came with the piston and rings, but i believe that they r stock or well from Honda "Original" cause it only says 25 inthe middle and IN for the intake side
Again good luck!

dufrain
10-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Ttown Joe ,Service Honda ,in their parts lookup thing, says the standard and and the last oversize is not discontiuned so If we had to I guess they could be bored all the way but I would hate to do it.I think Mine is standard ,it has the IN but no other number on the top.It says ART by the wristpin to.I got the rings out of my piston they werent very stuck.I am going to clean this thing up and hone it and see what it looks like.I will call wiseco to and see what they say about a piston.I think the head gasket is still available from honda but it says the base gasket is for 83 on up.I am using an 83 or 84 lower end but I cant tell any difference from my 82 one.

TtownJoeShow
10-15-2006, 10:44 AM
this is the thread i was talking about! http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=30274

GoodKarma
10-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Check out some different sites, and you might find some stuff. I did a quick search on Bikebandit.com and they are showing the head and cylinder, gaskets, and 1.0 over piston in stock. These are showing up under the 83 and 84 models only, but never heard that there is a difference between 81-84.

TtownJoeShow
10-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Awsome! lol but i need/want stock (76mm Bore) rings...wonder if they could b filed down? looks like the rings are seperat and Discontinued lol
i'll b in to my local shop n see what they have to say next week some time

dufrain
10-15-2006, 12:19 PM
From my searching it looks like Blazerone is using a 650 jetski piston in his.So I looked around and found that all 650 jetski pistons for all years are the same.The next thing I found is 300 single cylinder jetskis use the same piston as the 650.That lets you get a wiseco in any overbore you want,and not have to buy a set of two for the 650. So from the wiseco catalog the standard kit number is
STANDARD- 54M07600
.050- 54M07650
1.00- 54M07700
1.50- 54M07750
2.00- 54M07800

You can buy these straight from wiseco if you want ,90 -130 sum depending on size.It looks like some guys have used the 350 odyssey headgasket on here If you cant get the original.

200xman
10-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Last time I checked you could still get the base gasket from Honda but the head gasket is discontinued. I did a comparo between the 300R head gasket and the 350 Oddy gasket and I think it would work especially with an overbore. An added bonus is the Oddy gasket is a 3 pice steel gasket instead of the copper 300 one. Here's a link to the thread.

http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=31941

Billy Golightly
10-15-2006, 01:50 PM
You could also probably use a big bore piston from the later watercooled 250Rs. I know they go on up to about 80mm

mart
10-16-2006, 06:39 AM
yep billys right mine has a watercooled big bore piston in it 76.9mm i think from memory i think i cant remember ill try an find out or if i can find tha wiesco box ill get u the numbers

dude47
11-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey, im new to the trike world, My friend recently gave me a crashed 250r the front forks were trashed and the frame was tweaked. Appently someone he knew slammed it into a tree and boke a bunch of bones and didnt want anything to do with it. When I got it my original though was to put it in a golf cart I had gotten a while back and make what would probably be the sickest golf cart,atv ever. I decided to do an overhaul on the engine, eventhough it did run ont he first kick I gave it. When I opened it up I was surprised to find that there was a 76mm piston in it. I relised it had a 300kit in it. So I begain parts hunting, I found new clutch plates on ebay, alone with a gasket set and new piston, I'll look up the part number for u later and post it up, honda still makes it. I got a new wrist pin and bearing for it. I wanted to take a look at the trans while I had it apart. I opened up the transmission and found that it has aftermarket specialy treated gears in it. at this point Ive got the bottem half together and I'm waiting on the piston to come in the mail. At that point I will hone the cylender and put in the new piston. When my friend found out about what my plans were for this 300 kit engine he flipped out. Told me that it would be blasphimy(did i spell that right?) to put it in a golf cart. So I am probably going to put a lawnmower engine in the cart and sell this one to someone in need of a fresh rebuilt 250r engine with a 300kit in it. PM me or e-mail me at joeseemonkey@yahoo.com if you are interested in this engine, I might list it on ebay after I finish too. The outside of the engine is dirty and scufted, but the inside is quite beautiful, the trans crank, and gears all look new.

dude47
11-20-2006, 04:54 PM
13101-964-810 AND 130A1-964-810 is the honda part nubers for the piston and rings, It takes a standard wristpin and bearings.

craigglaser
02-17-2010, 04:36 PM
i have 300r pistons!

code200k
02-17-2010, 05:56 PM
dude this thread is over 4 years old..just post an ad in the classifieds section that you have 300r pistons