PDA

View Full Version : New here and need some unbiased input

FastZ28
10-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Hello all,
New to the boards, just found it. I used to own an 85 200s ATC. Thrashed the crap out of it for 6 yrs. I joined the ARMY came back home and Dad had sold both my ATC's. I had picked up an 83-84 200s off my aunt. Well now I got the itch to ride something again. Not looking to spend alot but want something with more power than the 200s had, and preferrably rear suspension. Well a few weeks ago I saw a 87 TRX 250X for sale pretty ragged, but for $800. I didn't have my truck with and was 1.5 hours from home so I passed on it.
Now I realize its hard to find anything under $1000.
My buddys at work tell me to get a TRX 400EX if I want something thats fun. I never rode a four wheeler so I dunno if I really would need a 400 to have fun.
I told them I was looking at maybe getting another ATC and they just laughed and said it will never keep up or handle aswell as a 4 wheeler. So that sorta makes me wanna get a ATC just to smoke his butt... he has an 05 TRX 450R.

So will an ATC out handle a TRX?
Which is more fun to ride? ATC or TRX?

I found a 84 250R ATC for sale locally : Bored .080, new yellow tires w/ 3" spacers $1200 OBO. Looks like it needs a little work, seat is tore in 2 spots maybe more, ( it was dark)
Didn't really wanna go the 2-stroke route, prefer the torque of a 4-stroke and the sound is easier on the ears.
Found a 200X on craigslist a few hours away: 1986 HONDA ATC 200X IN VERY GOOD ORIGINAL CONDITION WITH TITLE, IT IS RED WHITE AND BLUE FIVE SPEED TRANS TRIKE IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION RUNS AND LOOKS VERY NICE ALL ORIGINAL EXCEPT FOR NEW SPIDER TRAC TIRES $1150 firm.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

bassman
10-12-2006, 12:46 AM
200x will not keep up nor handle better than a 450. If you want to keep up with him, you only have one choice, and thats to go with a 2 stroke. 350x is the fastest 4 stroke 3 wheeler.

IrvSLedman
10-12-2006, 12:57 AM
yeah and the 250r is the only real chance you have.. the 450Rs are badass...I own a 350x and have ridden a 250r and a tecate 250. i prefer my 350x with its all around power. and you cant go wrong with it, but wont keep up. the 250r.. its dicey from what i have seen, but who knows. good luck hope ya find a good trike. ( dont give into the 4 wheelers)

ATC-Eric
10-12-2006, 02:01 AM
87 TRX ragged 250r for $800? I say wait until something better comes along. Look into the 250r 3 wheelers, I was never a 2 stroke guy, then I got one, and want more!

Never handle as well as a 4 wheeler ay? Your friends are just scared! If you got a trike you would eat them alive depending. I think you should go to the guy wanting $1200 OBO and have $1000 in cash. I bet he takes it! If not, its still a good deal for $1200 depending. Look at the 250r in the daylight to get a better idea of what it really needs, then get some more advice from the good people of 3wheelerworld.

Good luck.

bassman
10-12-2006, 02:18 AM
Its not a 250r, its a 250x lol. I would have gone for it, because they're basically a 300ex, and are fun as hell.

random-strike
10-12-2006, 02:20 AM
there are situations where a quad will handle better.

they will kick your butt if you try and race them on trails that already have quad ruts dug into them

ATC-Eric
10-12-2006, 02:52 AM
there are situations where a quad will handle better.

they will kick your butt if you try and race them on trails that already have quad ruts dug into them

How long have you been on a trike?

FastZ28
10-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Well I used to ride alot for about 6 years on my 200s, but sadly I havn't riden for about 12 years. :( I used to be pretty good with it, would give my buddy with a Warrior a good run for his money.:Bounce

Derrick Adams
10-12-2006, 05:36 AM
Quads obviously will handle better, they have more points of contact with the ground. But, as far as which is more fun to ride, 3 wheelers are the hands down winner.
Any fool can jump on a quad and ride it. It takes honed skills and finesse to ride a 3 wheeler.
There are very few 3 wheelers that can keep up with a 450R and only in a straight line. You start throwing in turns or jumps and you might as well forget it. Now mud is a whole different story!

250r'en +TCB
10-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Quads obviously will handle better, they have more points of contact with the ground.

There are very few 3 wheelers that can keep up with a 450R and only in a straight line. You start throwing in turns or jumps and you might as well forget it. Now mud is a whole different story!
Sorry Derrick but I'm gonna have to disagree with you there......... If you can take a slightly modded 85/6 250R and race a 450 quad on a flat surface you will have the turning capabilities to out maneuver him (if you know how to ride a trike that is:lol: ) Hanging off the side of it with just enough of your leg on the inside to touch the foot peg!!!!:naughty: With my 310 cylinder I scream past modded 450's now, as for the turning department they stand a snowball's chance in hell with me having a short track kit:lol: :crazy:

But as far as qauds just handling all out "better" I disagree. The only situation where the triker stands basically no chance of beating a quad is on rutted trails:rolleyes: I've always found that if you know how to ride a 3 wheeler you can go in circles around quads, that was before the ST kit by the way;) :beer

Oh I almost forgot, ATC's are WAY more fun to ride!!!!:w00t:

gravelord
10-12-2006, 06:26 AM
get a 250R, get as much work done to it as you can , make sure you get a liquid cooled model, then smoke his ass. air cooled ones arent so bad either, since your price range is kind of beat.

Huffa
10-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I don't favor one over the other, both 3 and 4 wheelers are fun to ride. Would be nice to have both a 3 and a 4 wheeler in a 2 and 4 stroke version. Depending on your mood on that particular day, one of the 4 will suit you better then the other 3.

A 3 wheeler can keep up with a 4 wheeler in certain situations if your willing to swing the bod around more (body english in other words) to accomplish the same feats that a 4 wheeler is doing.

I feel so good when I concour the same terrain as a 2,3,4,$5000 four wheeler on my $500 trike. Go with what you think will make you happy, either way, 3 or 4 I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

If I had to make only one choice as to what trike it would be for all around performance the 350X without any hesitation would be my pick and a four wheeler would be the air cooled 400EX. A 250 four stroke in either format is a bit short winded in my opinion and a 450 R is a bit too potent for what I sense you have in mind.

Better to spend more and buy one in real nice shape then to get a cheapie and have it nickel and dime you constantly, unless of course you rip it down and rebuild it from the ground up.

Good luck and let us know what you ended up getting.

Hey, where are you from in PA ??

tyman
10-12-2006, 05:19 PM
1986 HONDA ATC 200X IN VERY GOOD ORIGINAL CONDITION WITH TITLE, IT IS RED WHITE AND BLUE FIVE SPEED TRANS TRIKE IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION RUNS AND LOOKS VERY NICE ALL ORIGINAL EXCEPT FOR NEW SPIDER TRAC TIRES $1150 firm.

hmmm.... maybe its just me buuuutttttt...... didn't all 86's have a 6 speed tranny?? mine does and my dad's does... both 86... so i'm doubting its an 86.. maybe just an 85 with white plastics and stuff... or an 86 with a tranny conversion??? which i wouldn't see why anyone wouldn't want an 86 with a 6 speed... just my preference.. but i love the 6 speeds....

if i'm wrong please correct me.. but 86=6 speed....

tyman

Dammit!
10-12-2006, 05:34 PM
You're in the wrong place for unbiased input. :lol:

Seriously though, wether or not you can keep up with your buddies 450R depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing together. If it's tight stuff where you can't stretch a fast bike out at all, you'd be able to keep up on a simple 200x most likely. In wide open places though, your only bet is one of the 2-stroke sport trikes.

BigGreenMachine
10-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Look for a nice Kawasaki Tecate in great shape. They sell for dirt cheap compared to 250R's and with some right mods will be with a TRX top speed wise. Almost everywhere else the TRX will hand any two stroke trike its ass. Sorry guys.

BigGreenMachine
10-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Should add I'm talking about the 84/85 Tecate.

aquapunk
10-12-2006, 06:43 PM
nah, see, this is what you do, get a trike, then when you go to race your friend, gouge his eyes out, so he cant see the race, thats how all the pros do it these days, lol j/k .... go for a trike though, it honestly is more fun to rip it up on 3 wheels

FastZ28
10-13-2006, 02:35 AM
Hey Huffa I'm in Jonestown, PA right now. Will probably be moving next year when we build our house.

One of my friends at work said not to mess with that 250R I posted about because of it being bored 80 over. He said that the sleeve is really thin being bored that much. Any opinions on that?

I would like to get a 350X but I haven't seen any for sale in PA or close by. If I can't find a 350X maybe I will look for a 200X. What is a 250sx? Is that a decent trike? And what year trikes are , how should I say more favorable....

ATC-Eric
10-13-2006, 03:19 AM
The 250sx is like a sport utility trike. It has electric start with a kick backup, reverse, and is shaft driven.

It really is a great all around trike for just cruizing, or hiting the trails. My brother rebuilt one, it was one of the strongest most dependible trikes I've ever ridin. We wrapped that thing out all day long, and it still just kept on kickin.

They made the SX 85-87, but you would be hard pressed to find an 87.

Heres a pic of the 85:

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sHonda1985atc250sx.jpg

And the 86:

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sHonda1986atc250sx.jpg

scooterroo
10-13-2006, 10:59 AM
tecate!!!!!!!!!!!! you wanna run with 450's, kawasaki tecate will run em. as well as 250 r's and tri z's.

Huffa
10-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey Huffa I'm in Jonestown, PA right now. Will probably be moving next year when we build our house.

One of my friends at work said not to mess with that 250R I posted about because of it being bored 80 over. He said that the sleeve is really thin being bored that much. Any opinions on that?

I would like to get a 350X but I haven't seen any for sale in PA or close by. If I can't find a 350X maybe I will look for a 200X. What is a 250sx? Is that a decent trike? And what year trikes are , how should I say more favorable....

I had two 86 200X's and now have a 85 250 SX. Both machines are a joy to own. Neither have a huge amount of power (200X a bit more considering power to weight ratio) but certainly enough to have fun on. The 200X is more tossable, a bit more fun if your riding style is leaned toward the aggresive side, can jump better with it having more travel + being stiffer also. You can moto the X and SX but the SX won't keep up unless you take it beyond it's limits.

Now slow speed trail riding over technical terrain is a different story, that's where the SX shines baby! With being semi automatic it's so nice to plonk thru rocks, tight 1st gear turns, river crossings and any tricky situations with out having a clutch to worry about. Heck, you can trail ride those with one hand if you feel like it! They might as well have a cup holder on them!! :lol:

OH, I love the electric start too!

Hill climbs are a different story though and that's where the X shines again, towards the SX comparison I'm speaking, not bigger CC machines of course. The X you can feather the clutch if you start to lose power, where on the SX you must downshift and that's a big NO-NO if you going up a steep hill. Yes, if your in to hill climbs the SX won't do, not that it won't climb fairly decent hills but it's just not in its blood to be attacking steep ones.

The SX is also the lazy mans machine when it comes to maintenence. No chain to lube or adjust, no sprockets to replace + it stays cleaner back there. The draw back is your stuck with that exact gearing. It is geared pretty decent though with having a super low 1st, so the thought never even crossed my mind as to gear it different.

The 350X is basically a potent (much more potent) 200X that weighs a good 40-45 lbs more I think and has a stiffer suspension than the 200X.

The 250 SX is the tank of the bunch weighing easily over 50LBs more then both.

Spec page ......... http://www.3wheelerworld.com/1985HondaSpecpage.shtml

If you really like a decent amount of power DON'T get the SX or X go for the 350 for sure . Every model, no matter what, has some trade offs but for PA terrian I'd go with a 4 stroke for sure.

Year wise I'd DEFINITLY go with a 86 or 87 200X, they are updated tons from the 83-85 models.

85-87 250SX are pretty much the same with just minor changes. 87 is the red white and blue one while the 85 and 6 look the same, almost.

The 350X, you"ll have to ask someone else being that I don't know a whole lot about the years.

ANY model you can find if you look hard enough. I bet I can find you a decent 350X in PA if you ask me too!

Here is one right here in PA somewhere. It's in The Paper Shop. Do you get that paper in store out your way? The phone # is not listed online unless you pay a fee to view adds for so many weeks OR buy the paper. I usually veiw the adds online, then go buy the paper if I see something of interest.

HONDA 350X 3-WHEELER ATV, brand new tires w/chrome wheels, running cond., extras, $1700.

Below is my 85 250SX that I bought for a 100 bucks and put approx 350 into it.

Jonestown, I drove through that town I think, is that not the one with a REALLY steep mountain that is right in the town?

Where are you moving too ?

I sent you a PM.

TimSr
10-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Quads obviously will handle better, they have more points of contact with the ground. But, as far as which is more fun to ride, 3 wheelers are the hands down winner.
Any fool can jump on a quad and ride it. It takes honed skills and finesse to ride a 3 wheeler.

:lol: :lol: :lol: This thread cracks me up. At least its easy to identify the guy who actually HAS a lot of racing experience with quads on something besides a straight line or an armchair! See you at the track Big D! LESS SMACK, MORE TRACK, PEOPLE!!!!! Its educational!!!

junkrider
10-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Yo huffa! U coming riding with us to paragon next weekend? (I know its off topic.) I'm in bowmanstown. If you need transport.

Too the topic :)
I like bikes, trikes, and quads. All are fun. All have little nuances that make them better for a certain thing. If you're really good, you can get any of them to do most of what you might want to do.

That said, I'm not so good. :( Gettin old at 37, but I still have fun.

badasskfx
10-13-2006, 11:56 PM
i spank my boys in the woods on my trike. i can hammer threw the woods on a threwheeler!

El'Capitan
10-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Dont get a 350X if your planning on keeping up with that 450R.....ive been dusted way to many times to think that i have a chance :( if you want to beat him in a straight line ever think of getting a dirtbike? get a big 4-thumper and run on hard ground....you'll be sure to beat him on the topend easy :)

El'Capitan
10-14-2006, 01:02 AM
heck, on your budget you could get a pretty nice XR/XL500 or w/e you would like....your sure to beat him in the long run then ;)

Levithan
10-14-2006, 02:46 AM
What about the Tecate-4? Those look like big quads that could kick some serious butt if you really tried! I would definitely look at a Tecate 3 or 250R, those are the only bikes that will even be close to keeping up with a 450. Just remember, Trikes are cheaper in the long run, with cheaper parts, and less to maintain. Im not saying you shouldnt maintain them, but when something breaks, its usually a cheaper and easier fix then on a quad. Well, good luck friend.

Huffa
10-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Who cares if it (machine you buy) is a bit slower, what does it matter? Anyone can twist a throttle and go fast, you get good enough and really hone your skills on a lesser of a machine and it just won't matter when your going trail riding.

I have just been always more impressed with what the rider can do and not how potent a engine is and that's why my view point is the way it is.

Hillclimbing is a different story though as there power is very important, that I understand.

deathman53
10-14-2006, 08:17 AM
get a 350x, have the best of both worlds. I have a 200x, 86 atc250r, 85 atc 250r and 2 quads and dirtbikes. I can keep up with most quads on tight trails on my 200x, most quads on a mx track on my 250r. Beware a 350x is a torque monster and sometimes the kicker can be hard to kick.

deathman53
10-14-2006, 08:26 AM
also consider, how good is his skills riding a quad, with a not good quad rider, or slippery and techincal stuff the 350x will beat it hands down. don't worry about beating this guy, it sounds like he hates trikes and will say anything to put them down. If you really feel like smoking him, get a liquid cooled 250r or 350x, you will not smoke him in all condition or even keep up with him in some, but for the most part you will be right on his ass. That should be enough the shatter is little world.