PDA

View Full Version : seating a tire?

Jim mac
10-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Okay I got the old one off easy enough, but the new tire came in with the label wrapped around the tire and kinda deformed it. The tire is on the rim now but since its kinda deformed it won't seat. I wrapped a cord around the circumferance of the tire and twisted it, Will this thing come back into shape in a day or two? How about the gas or starting fluid trick? Anything to watch for? Jim

traxxasx
10-11-2006, 03:33 AM
if its inflated it will retake its origanial shape. But if its not it probably wont, maybe let it sit in the sun, if you have any.

bigred1981
10-11-2006, 09:58 AM
I bounce the tire and rim on the floor workin my way around the circumference of the tire. Sometimes I'll use a hammer to beat on the tire while trying to inflate air at the same time. The number 1 thing is you dont want it jumpin the safety bead if you use the starting fluid.. good luck :Bounce

super90
10-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I saw this one video of a unseated jeep tire a while ago. When it came off in the woods they sprayed bus spray on it and lit it. I guess the heat made the bead seat?

dgould
10-11-2006, 10:26 AM
The starting fluid trick works, kinda scary the first time you do it. Kinda fun after that.

traxxasx
10-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Ok i have no clue what the strater fluid trick is but im guessing, you take the inside is the stem out. Spray some starter fluid in. Light it up and hope the pressure seats the tire?

crownpoint
10-11-2006, 03:52 PM
check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmdo2T_g5FE

crownpoint
10-11-2006, 03:56 PM
this one is not as slick but shows it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIVLQCZJGAw&NR

chris200x
10-11-2006, 03:59 PM
check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmdo2T_g5FE

A how to blow yourself up video! I've used this technique a few times. I would not recommend lighting the stream of fluid on fire though... and gotta remeber that guy is doing it to a huge truck tire. I would think a one of two second burst inside the tire would be suffiecent for an atv tire. I also do it by tossing a lit match. ;)

traxxasx
10-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Wow thats awsome, it seems like it even airs the tire up 2?

Red Rider
10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
When it came off in the woods they sprayed bus spray on it and lit it.What the hell is bus spray? Is that some sort of aerosol repellent to ward off those pesky city busses? :lol:

InPiEcEs
10-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Yea about a 1 to 1.5 second blast is all you need for ATV tires. The way I light it is lay a little strip of ether out from the tire and hit that. It travels to the tire and........done.
I leave the valve core out, and spray into the bead area most of the way around.
If you don't get carried away, and stay back a little, it's pretty safe, but according to the CPSC...........:eek:

longbedGTs
10-11-2006, 09:54 PM
....it's pretty safe, but according to the CPSC...........:eek:

:lol: :D :beer

MTS
10-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Make sure to Deflate the tire after it has Seated with the Starting fluid, Not good to have explosive Gas in youR tire. will cause it to expand more when hot and whatnot.

russell56443
10-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Cant wait to try it,looks like fun!!!!

IrvSLedman
10-12-2006, 01:09 AM
well on bigger tires be carful, today in class (OTC Diesel) they were telling us NOT TO DO THAT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES becuase a guy did it, and some how F-ed up and the rim came apart and completely shredded him, cut him in two, and they had to replace the ceiling because of all the blood. so if you do it, USE CAUTION. I didnt know it was that dangerous.. but they clearly told us, dont do it.. but on a ATV/ATC it should be okay. just dont stand in front of it like they said. just my 2cents

scobydokevin
10-12-2006, 01:22 AM
ya, just put a rope aroung it real tight, and just blast it full of air, if that doesnt work, i think autozone seats them.

250rAL
10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Make sure to Deflate the tire after it has Seated with the Starting fluid, Not good to have explosive Gas in youR tire. will cause it to expand more when hot and whatnot.

After it burns, it will no longer be explosive.

MTS
10-12-2006, 02:08 PM
well on bigger tires be carful, today in class (OTC Diesel) they were telling us NOT TO DO THAT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES becuase a guy did it, and some how F-ed up and the rim came apart and completely shredded him, cut him in two, and they had to replace the ceiling because of all the blood. so if you do it, USE CAUTION. I didnt know it was that dangerous.. but they clearly told us, dont do it.. but on a ATV/ATC it should be okay. just dont stand in front of it like they said. just my 2cents
the dummie musta done it with the ol Split rim's or the one with the locking Ring....>*Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**E dited*...:crazy: :crazy:

88 Turbo Coupe
10-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Use acetalene form your oxy/avetalene torch. Bus spray just wont work.