PDA

View Full Version : My 84 R build thread !!1-14-07 Updated Cosmetics!!

atctim
10-10-2006, 10:46 PM
This will be my official build thread for my 1984 R. I encountered the dreaded swingarm bolt, and embraced it with passion, a 20 ton press, a die grinder, a big sledge hammer and a sawzall. After having it tore down, I started cleaning preping and painting. I have found a rattle can gold that matches the original R swinger gold to a T!. It is Rustoleum Gold Rush Metalic. Shelly is now hired on as my painter. Her work is most excellent, and much better than any painting I have ever done. My swingarm bolt is being made at the local machine shop - more to come on that in a day or two. Here are a few pictures from my first night of painting and somewhat re-building.

Kintore
10-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Look real good Tim, love the silver! That paint on the swinger does match fairly well.

Whats the ETC-the esitmated time of completion on this rig?

atctim
10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Josh,

ETC - less than 2 weeks. I am nearly done re-doing all of the paintable parts. My rebored/honed cylinder and new piston will be in either Friday or Monday, and my new swingarm bolt I am having made will be done Friday or Monday also. Then it's just getting it all put back together and fine tuning it. I am still up in the air about the rear shock. I need to talk to Max about that.

So what's the deal with reeds? You are 2-stroke guy. It has the originals in it now - what will different reeds do for me without changine anything else - like exhaust or carb or intake??

max
10-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Just go buy a set of boysen reed pedals and remove the factory metal stops. That what I did with mine. Call me on the shocker. LOL

The reeds are a cheep mod. You will notice a little gain. The reeds are like 30 bucks.

atctim
10-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Max - can do on the boysen reeds. I am officially ditching the idea of running a 200X shock in it, although I am interested in talking to you about that.

Did some more work on it tonight, but nothing deserving more pics. She is coming along real good though.

Anybody know if 84 R shocks are re-buildable. I know some shocks are and some are not. Also - anybody ever order an aftermarket rear shock for an 84 from Elka or Works?

atctim
10-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Just a few more pice of the R rebuild. I rebuilt the top end. It was bored 30 over - now 40 over and a new Weisco piston and rings. Say a prayer for me as this is my first ever attempt at any engine work!!!

I got my new swing-arm bolt made and installed. Nice tight fit - I replaced stock needle bearings with custom made brass bushings (greasable). I am having an issue with the rear axel (addressed in other thread).

She is looking good and it should be a worthy competitor for the 2007 Ohio Trike racing circuit. Need to get the pipe on it - install the thumb throttle (had twist - YUCK!)I still need to buy and install Boysen reeds - possibly find and install aftermarket pipe and silencer (now stock) and redo both brake systems. She's looking good so far and I have some more cosmetic ideas I am playing with in my head that will soon become reality. Opinions wanted on the color scheme.

Kintore
10-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Looking good Tim, what kind of gearing you running with those small ass mowers (which I love btw)

Im running 18 in mowers(soon to be turf tamers) with 14/43 or my 20in razrs with 13/43.

Shes looking real good, my Z looks forward to some more R's out there :)

theonlyjosh
10-19-2006, 05:39 PM
lookin pretty nice dude paint matches quite well, keep us posted!

atctim
10-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm..........Kintore - you got me thinking of someting I would have overlooked hadn't you mentioned it (until its first ride anyway). What gearing should I run for 18" tires? I would like to keep it's stock speed and power. LOL - it had brand new chain and sprockets on it when I got it. What do you guys recommend for racing with 18's? (mainly MX and occasional flat track racing)

max
10-20-2006, 09:22 AM
T doe, I always ran stock gearing with 18's. Even when I trail rode. I love 18's. It will rev out a little quicker. But on the track, you can just keep it in 2nd and 3rd, you wont have to shift as much. Plus you get a little more power out of the upper gears. But, I dont think she will go much over 40mph.

RacerRichie
10-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Sweet fooler man.....
I have a very nice 84 250r frame if anyone needs it.....

Derrick Adams
10-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Tim, those air-cooled R's make tons of torque but don't rev out quite as high as the waterpumpers. I'd probably want to step up a tooth or two from stock on the front for those 18"s.

Your biggest obstical with that bike may be the suspension. Your as big as me. I would suggest an 85-86 R frontend at least. You'll have to take Casper out for some practice laps next season.

Lookin sweet! I love the air-cooled R's! Here's my old 83.

Kintore
10-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Yah I reccomend going up a tooth as well. I found my 14/43 with 18's was perfect on the smith road track.

atctim
10-22-2006, 04:47 PM
After many hours of garage work this weekend - my R project is compkete (99%) - still need to fine tune brakes and get rear shock rebuilt. Also - stil need a few decals and rear fender # plates. Here are some pictures of the finished product. Can't wait to get it out on the track - it feels real tight! I do need to re-gear a bit though - a little too slow.

Keep in mind - this was a less than 2 week build (tear down - rebuild - re-assemble)

Good thing the snow will be flying soon - this in not recommended lawn care - LOL:TrikesOwn

Bryan Raffa
10-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Brake it in slow tim.. looks awsome! good job

Kintore
10-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Looks like your all ready Tim!

I got some sweet plans for the Z this winter, she will be unvailed after all is complete :)

Glad to see your ripping on her, see ya soon! :w00t:

3leggeddog
10-22-2006, 06:50 PM
looks sweet man.glad to see you buildin a mx based project.NICE.looks like a few more otc stickers will be in the mail!!

dirtface
10-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey Tim! If your ever short on time and need help trimming the lawn, just yell and I'll bring up one of my R's and help you out.:lol: :Bounce

Derrick Adams
10-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Tim, the R is looking great! Don't forget your rear number plate, as your sitting it up for next years race season.

Maier offers some smaller generic number plates for about $5.00 that fit real nice on the rear grab bar.

Another thing, since your rebuilding that rear shock. 99% sure Progressive still offers a rear spring for that. SOoo you could actually run progressive springs front and rear on your bike! (If possible, try to get your shock valved for your weight)

atctim
10-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Cool - Thanks for the advice Derrrick. Do you know if the 3rd generation R forks fit in my tripples? or do I need 85-86 complete front clip?

Also - is Progressive a comany name for shocks? I thought progressive shocks was a common name for the 2 or 3 stage springs - not a trade name. Thanks in advance - and thanks for all the advice on making this ready for 2007.

Derrick Adams
10-24-2006, 05:23 PM
You would have to swap the triples and everything to go to the 85-86 front. Progressive offers springs for the 84 forks too, if you just want to keep them on. Problem you'll run into is lots of fork flex. It's tolerable I suppose.

The 85 Tri-Z has the same diameter forks as the 83-84R and the 85-86 350X.
The reason I say that is because TimSr. has been running those same diameter forks for years on his Z with some Progressive springs and some spacers. It really depends on your expectations of the bike. If you expect to jump it more than 6ft off the ground, I would upgrade!

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/ Is a company that carrrys lots of replacement springs and shocks. Like I said, I know they offer front springs for both the 84 and the 85-86 250Rs. I'm also pretty sure they still carry the springs for the rear too.

atctim
01-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Check out the new cosmetic changes.......
Christmas gifts are on it - and thanks to Dirtface, I don;t have to ruin my NICE original tank. He hooked me up with a nice spare to paint up and match my black plastics.

Looking for Ideas for tank design. Thinking of some old school writing on it ....something to the effect of:

"Old Schoolin'
&
Air Foolin'"

Or something like that.....what do you guys think?

El'Capitan
01-15-2007, 01:35 AM
lovin the look. very unique. and i give two thumbs up for either one of those slogans to go on the tank. looks great.

Chevy200s
01-15-2007, 01:45 AM
looks awesome man, nice air fooler! Also cool idea with the "old schoolin & air foolin", I like the color scheme its original. looking forward to seeing it at trikefest!!!