PDA

View Full Version : 250 sx electric start

mark38090
10-10-2006, 05:34 PM
My 250sx actes like the battery's dead, won't even turn over. I took the batttery out and put it in my Yamaha and it spins over without a problem. How hard is it to take the starter off and clean it out? Also, is there anything else that could cause this type of problem? Solenoid perhaps?

longbedGTs
10-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Check your connections. Trace the circut down to the starter. Perhaps your solenoid is toast?
FWIW, I got my 86 SX and it had the same problem. It wouldnt start with the push button but would kick over and run great. Turns out, a signal wire going to the solenoid wasnt getting power. I just ran a new wire from one side of the starter button, to the solenoid. All is well! :crazy:

wolfspider
10-11-2006, 11:11 AM
i`m willing to bet your starter motor needs either cleaning or rebuilding, both fairly easy jobs, get yourself a manual which will tell you how to do the job if you`re not sure.
i have done lots of 250es starters(same as sx) and its usually just a clean inside or at worst new starter brushes.
give it a go its not as hard as you think
steve

mark38090
10-11-2006, 05:33 PM
OK,thanks for the help. I cleaned it out good, and it was nasty, and put it back together and now it works. I definitely need to replace the brushes though.

wolfspider
10-12-2006, 03:21 AM
OK,thanks for the help. I cleaned it out good, and it was nasty, and put it back together and now it works. I definitely need to replace the brushes though.

cool glad to help, it seems to be a common problem on starters.
steve.