PDA

View Full Version : A few Quick YT125 Q's

Unclediezel
10-09-2006, 07:22 PM
I'll Keep it short and sweet.....
A con rod knock has ruined the rest of my season, so over the next few weeks, before winter sets in, Id like to get it fixed. First off, I can get a rod and pin set with little to no problem, ----Is this a machine shop procedure to assemble the crank and rod? Or would I be better off getting a new crankshaft assembly?
#2-----Ive heard Blaster wheel hubs are interchangeable to the trimotos, If this is true , are there any combos of Sprocket hubs to give me a bit more selection as far as rear drive gears go? Im limited to 2.
#3--- A Set of Boyesen reeds--Just Basic set..I 've heard are a big improvement over stockers, And since mine are 23 years old any way...WHY NOT? --My question is do I have to do any Jetting to the carb, for the difference in the reeds?
Thanx.....

Unclediezel
10-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Anyone????

Kintore
10-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I can help you on the reeds, you may need to go up one clip on the needle. Or not, personally I had too on my Z.

All depends, when you assemble it, do the whole jetting thing and plug chop!

thefox
10-12-2006, 11:17 PM
A whole new crank assembly would probably be very costly, of course getting yours rebuilt is not going to be cheap either. I would get the connecting rod/pin/bearings and bring them with the old crank to a good shop. The crank has to be pressed apart, have the new parts pressed in and have the crank halves lined up just right so the crank is still balanced. Being that the crank spins so fast having it just a little off balance could mean trouble.

Maybe someone else has come up with a way to do this at a home shop and can add to the thread but it is one of the jobs I would leave to someone with experience and the right tools.

Yamahauler
10-12-2006, 11:39 PM
I had my crank rebuilt for $50...the new con rod was $100. You can balance it at home, but i wouldnt, you need V-Blocks and a special measurement tool.

So to seperate the crank, you have to take it to a machine shop?

My crank was split when I bought it.

Unclediezel
10-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanx guys---I'm wasnt trying to sound cheap----I just refuse to part with My trike

Maybe even a used motor off E-GAY????

burnoutboy
10-13-2006, 04:09 AM
I say do it once, do it properly. I wouldn't buy a used motor unless it can be seen & heard running, you never know what you are getting.

Good luck man.

traxxasx
10-13-2006, 04:43 AM
spend the extra cash do it right, and be done with it for another 20+ years.

Unclediezel
10-13-2006, 08:11 PM
OK ---Who's good with bikes? Will an IT125 Crank fit?.....I have a choice, Bring the rod and pin set and a box of donuts to the machine shop in my old neighborhood, or buy a redone crank from a 125 dirtbike, that was never picked -up......he wants 75 bucks for the crank? --WHAT TO DO?????? He says its been a long time since he mixed and matched the old stuff -so he really doesnt remember.

thefox
10-13-2006, 08:38 PM
I dont think the IT crank will work due to it being kick start and manual clutch. Can anyone else confirm?

Yamahauler
10-13-2006, 08:41 PM
The first three part numbers are differant, but I have had parts from a 225 that had differant part numbers that fit on my hauler.

I cant find specs for the IT125 anywhere to check bore and stroke.

Unclediezel
10-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I dont think the guy would stiff me, I used him all the time when I had my shop in NYC. He was honest and just doesnt remember. SAFER bet to have mine fixed huh?

Yamahauler
10-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Can you get a hot rod for them? or is there only yamaha?
what are they worth?
why do you need a rod btw??

Unclediezel
10-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Over revv-----Knock.... Pull the cylinder off--(Which is in G-R-E-A-T shape I might add)Grab the rod and rock it up and down. Plug gap is closed up .

Yamahauler
10-13-2006, 08:59 PM
ohh. Well, I see from your first post you can get a rod no problem, if I were you, i would get that machine shop to rebuild it for you, new pin, and lower rod bearings, then its like a brand new crank. It would likely be cheaper than buying used too.

Unclediezel
10-13-2006, 09:06 PM
The rod kit and a box of donuts. The wife has a dentist appt in the area anyway, so I'll just drop it with him and go back for it on my way home. The rod kit was about 65 bucks.

Yamahauler
10-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Well thats a great deal.
I wish i could pay my machineist with donuts, but by the looks of it, he's had a few too many already

Unclediezel
10-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Ive known the guy since we were kids, he ( WELL ...his father) Built the motor for my first car. As long as I dont "Overstay" my welcome ...He's pretty cool..

As far as "Hot Rods" --Honestly ..I didnt even think to look. But its only a 125 2 stroke, It will never be a racer, and at my age, if I can hang with the 200 4stroke class.. Im happy.