PDA

View Full Version : 85 Big Red--Rebuild the front shocks?

Bunyan
10-09-2006, 11:37 AM
I have an 85 Big Red and the shocks are darn near bottomed out. Are these able to be rebuilt? Also the same question for an 86 SX. I and my buddy want to get this done before winter riding. How does one go about rebuilding them. Is it similar to the 84 200es big red? I have the service manual for that model. Thanks.

Bunyan
10-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Is this a dumb question or does no one actually know the answer?

SYKO
10-09-2006, 03:21 PM
im sure some one knows you will jsut have to be pateint as the guys that have big reds may not be on, should be able to rebuild it I looked on www.bikebandit.com for a break down, but alot of the parts are discontinued, may try denniskirk online or some other atv sources

ATCGENIUS
10-09-2006, 03:47 PM
The service manual should get you were you need to be on the 85 forks. The 200es is basically a 200s fork, and the forks on the big red are slightly larger for the extra weight and carrying capacity. You will have to get the fork seals and dust covers thru dennis kirk. I have a 85 250es service manual, so if you get in there and get in a bind, give me a shout and I will scan the fork rebuild pages and send them to you. The forks are basic and the 84 200es manual should be good enough, but go ahead and put new oem big red fork boots on since the frontend is off and check the brakes and bearings too. Since you are this far into the front end, it is easier for preventative maintainence.

ClayW
10-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Everything you would need is still available. Its not too bad, and not very expensive to do. $15 I think. They are prob just low on fluid. That will cause bottoming out.

Bunyan
10-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!