PDA

View Full Version : look what the cat dragged in...

OZQUAD44
10-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Can you belive it. I now have not one but two 87 Tecates sitting down stairs in my garage. The things that just fall in your lap sometimes, unbelieveable.

She's not pretty but she goes like a power of piss.....

scooterroo
10-09-2006, 08:21 AM
why cant i have your fortune? i want one of them so bad!!!!!!!!!

OZQUAD44
10-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Well if you believe some of the threads on here, Kawasaki still have 87's in crates!

I'll just settle for second hand ones at this stage, I can't wait to give her a good clean to see how she scrubs up.

brrcuda
10-09-2006, 08:45 AM
so whats the story behind it? Thats really exciting! Usually when i say to myself "i am not buying another trike" a deal of a lifetime comes around.

Nice score. Now you got a rider and a show bike. congratulations.I love those late model tecates.

Paul

OZQUAD44
10-09-2006, 09:04 AM
I was at the track a few weeks ago and got talking to another quad rider just new to the sport and I was banging on about my Mean Green Tecate sitting at home, when he goes "Oh yeah one of my mates has got one of those things"

I'm thinking to myself "Oh sure he has, probably an old beat up KLT even if he did have a trike" But I had to check it out just in case (I must get some humble pie next time I'm at the shops-sorry Nick).

So today I hooked up a meeting and went around to his house half expecting a to see an old ATC110 covered in green paint. You could have knocked me down with a feather when this little puppie was dragged out.

He was a nice bloke, said he picked it up to ride around on the farm with his kids. He only got it running after cleaning out the carby and then after about two rides on the beast he decided it wasn't quite the kiddie machine he thought is was.

You can bet I had a good old time blatting around the farm on it, then after a bit of haggling the rest, as they say, is history.

I can honestly say that I have only ever seen two Tecate "B" models in the flesh during my life and I now own both of them. Hows that for dumb luck.

Aussieduner
10-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Its going to look even better in my garage amongst a sea of red...LOL

Aussie

OZQUAD44
10-10-2006, 06:04 AM
so whats the story behind it? Thats really exciting! Usually when i say to myself "i am not buying another trike" a deal of a lifetime comes around.

I'm with you on that one Paul

Its always when you least expect it

Squirrel Master
10-10-2006, 09:25 AM
How do you get those macines off the top rack?

85hondaatc125m
10-10-2006, 09:50 AM
How do you get those macines off the top rack?
I think they have to pull the mahcines at the bottom away and then the top level lowers to ground level?

SPD FRK
10-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Nah! Drive it off!!

aquapunk
10-10-2006, 07:16 PM
there ya go, just ramp it off, it'll only hurt for a second or two, lol!!

250r'en +TCB
10-10-2006, 07:20 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:
You lucky #^@&#$!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: Damn man!!! an 87 Tecate is my 2nd dream trike (behind tiger 500) and you just scored 2 of them!!!!

more :pics: !!!!:beer

brrcuda
10-10-2006, 09:35 PM
so is this aussie duners ride now? If it is, at least its kept within the community and not to some kid putting the motor in a go-kart or something stupid.

How rare is that find and how prevalent are trikes in Australia? Just wondering, was the trike scene as big in the 80s over there like it was here in the US?

I agree with 250renTCB - more pics would be nice.:beer

Hornetpowerspor
10-10-2006, 11:01 PM
That is surely a rare find for you way over there! Hell, an 87 is a rare find here! Nice score.

Aussieduner
10-10-2006, 11:08 PM
That is surely a rare find for you way over there! Hell, an 87 is a rare find here! Nice score.

We we will be in market for some shrouds shortly.

Aussie

Aussieduner
10-10-2006, 11:14 PM
so is this aussie duners ride now? If it is, at least its kept within the community and not to some kid putting the motor in a go-kart or something stupid.

How rare is that find and how prevalent are trikes in Australia? Just wondering, was the trike scene as big in the 80s over there like it was here in the US?

I agree with 250renTCB - more pics would be nice.:beer

Im pretty sure its going to join my stable of machines :Bounce and be a ground up rebuild so im on the plastic's search.
To answer your question trikes were very popular here back in the day and im lucky to live where there are most consentrated in Australia,Newcastle NSW,mostly Honda's.

Aussie

OZQUAD44
10-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Well this thread had a bit of traffic since I was last on.

I'll try and answer your questions the best I can

The racks are just two pallet racks back to back and I've got some long ramps that I use to get the Bikes on/off. Its a little hairy, but secure and I can park the front of my Ute (thats Truck for you US blokes) right under where the Quad and Trike sit. All my toys locked up in one little Garage space. Can't be happier than that.

I'm pretty Sure Aussie will be the next owner of the new green machine. It will be good to finally have another Aussie Tecate owner to swap stories with. I can't wait to go cruzin with another Tecate.

I'm giving it a good wash on the weekend so I'll take some more photo's and post them Sat arvo.

Once the Second Tecate goes I will begin my search for a 250R. I thought I'd start at the best and work my way down you see.... Ha Ha. I can't wait, Little does my wife know my evil plans....... Mwahh ha ha ha. Two Two Trikes.. Mwahh Ha Ha Ha. Lets just keep that one as our little secret, eh boys.

As far as the trike scene goes, I think it was really starting to take off here in Australia about 1985 and then it all went belly up in the states and it all slowly died here too. I remember in the Late eighties a few blokes were importing trikes from the states, ie 87 Tecates, and I think a fair few yellow and black Tri-Zs were sold here as 87 Models. I Remember always seeing second hand yellow and black Zs being past off as 87 models. I don't know if that was lack of knowledge or somthing Yamaha did to get rid of excess stock.

Lastly to add to what Aussie was talking about, 3 Wheelers were pretty big in Western Australia as well. Thats were I was when I was a kid, reading Dirt Wheels and wishing I had a Tecate and not an ATC250ES. I still can't belive I have two of the suckers down stairs.

Aussieduner
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Oh yes it will be mine.......

Aussie

Chevy200s
10-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Thats awesome, nice find! I had never ridden or even seen a tecate until Trikefest this summer, and I got to ride a red 85 and an 87!!!! Yeah they were freakin awesome. The 87 was insane, even with the longer swing arm it still lifted the front end off the ground. Then I bring it back to the camp scared out of my whits and Mik6 goes "yeah, its running really flat right now", I just couldnt believe it. I'm still a honda guy, but I am definilty looking for a green trike too. Anyways, had to share my tecate story, lol. Nice find and be sure to post some pics of it all cleaned up!:Bounce

Aussieduner
10-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Maybe i will post some as i have paid my deposit and will pick it up very soon....many thanks OZQUAD44 youre a good bloke !

Aussie

Hornetpowerspor
10-12-2006, 12:12 AM
We we will be in market for some shrouds shortly.

Aussie
I may know someone that could help you out.:lol: :beer

Aussieduner
10-12-2006, 12:29 AM
I may know someone that could help you out.:lol: :beer

Yes you are that man,can you PM me the $ on 2 sets ?

Aussie

OZQUAD44
10-16-2006, 06:47 AM
piccies after its first bath in 19yrs.....

Aussieduner
10-16-2006, 08:13 PM
piccies after its first bath in 19yrs.....

Sweeeeeet.................im hanging to come pick Kermit up :Bounce

Aussie

brrcuda
10-18-2006, 01:02 PM
looks like a great project. plastics are a little pricey but worth it in the end. Nothing like kawasaki green all new and fresh.

I see you even have most of the hard to find items on there. missing the KIPS tag on the engine though - too bad.

good luck on the restore.

ATC-Eric
10-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Thats got a lot of potential!

Good luck.

Aussieduner
10-19-2006, 05:17 AM
So far Ozquad and i have organised,

1 x brand new front fender
2 x new shrouds c/o Hornetpowersports
1 x new headlight garnish "as above"
1 x new PRM rear grab bar
1 x set of new fork boots

Still got a bit to get but off to a good start.

Aussie

ausatc70
10-19-2006, 07:09 AM
man u guys. if you find another one i have permisson to own it!!! ive owned 2 zx12rs and a kx500 im sure that qualifies me for ownership!

traxxasx
10-19-2006, 07:35 AM
You should get down with the degreaser and a small wirebrush and the pressure washer and get all that grease/crap off of it. Looks like you just wet it and thats all. But the tecate is sick btw.

Aussieduner
10-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Full strip and powdercoat the frame is first up on the to do list.

Hey Ausatc70 i hear there is another Tecate in Newcastle for sale not sure where though.

Aussie

ausatc70
10-19-2006, 05:17 PM
really?
if you find out can you let me know please! im think ks500 motor time!

Aussieduner
10-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Will do.

Aussie