PDA

View Full Version : spark plug problem. help!

mike84bigred
10-06-2006, 09:34 AM
got an 84 big red. it was fouling plugs so i got a hotter plug for it. its been running well and hasen't blown anymore plugs, but its still pretty fouled. i checked the spark, and it looked kinda of weak to me. i was going to take it into the local honda shop, but when i talked to the guy, he insisted that it was a carb problem. now when you see the spark, isen't it suppose to be a fat blue spark? mines not. its skinny and all over the place. so i wanna know, is there anything thats been known to go in the ignition system. i don't really want to replace the stator coil, but will if i have to. any suggestions would help.

TimSr
10-07-2006, 03:53 PM
got an 84 big red. it was fouling plugs so i got a hotter plug for it. its been running well and hasen't blown anymore plugs, but its still pretty fouled. i checked the spark, and it looked kinda of weak to me. i was going to take it into the local honda shop, but when i talked to the guy, he insisted that it was a carb problem. now when you see the spark, isen't it suppose to be a fat blue spark? mines not. its skinny and all over the place. so i wanna know, is there anything thats been known to go in the ignition system. i don't really want to replace the stator coil, but will if i have to. any suggestions would help.

are you checking spark witha dirty plug? When the insulator gets coated it WILL spark all over the place. Plug fouling can be caused by several things. Worn top end, worn top end compnonets, and/or carburetion. History is helpful. If it used to not foul plugs, and now it does, its not likely a carburetion issue.

mike84bigred
10-08-2006, 06:38 PM
i'll have it cheaked out. thanx.