PDA

View Full Version : 3 wheel drive atc??

triker111
10-04-2006, 09:03 PM
ive often wondered if a three wheel drive atc would be a good idea or would that just be crazy. i guess it would be a big machine probably bigger than a big red. you guys have any good ideas for this,maybe it could engage or disengage through deep mud??

Louis Mielke
10-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but thats a secret :-P

nouseforaname90
10-04-2006, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't want it. You would need to run a chain SOMEHOW from the drive shaft/front sprocket to the front wheel to turn it.. that would mean there would be a chain way too close to your leg. And also, the front wheel doesn't have enough weight ontop of it to give it much grip.. so it wouldn't help out too much anyway.
Also, how would you turn? You can't turn the front wheel without derailing the chain from the sprocket that would be on the front wheel..

Russell 350X
10-04-2006, 09:07 PM
It is impossible, it just simply is.

Louis Mielke
10-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Think outside the box, no chain needed and I'm sorry but I would kill for a big red that starts pulling at the front wheel after the rear wheels reach a certain RPM. Its totally doable too.

Louis Mielke
10-04-2006, 09:10 PM
It is impossible, it just simply is.

HA!!! I bet you'd say that about a 2 wheel drive dirtbike too. and it HAS BEEN DONE! (WITHOUT A CHAIN I MIGHT ADD)LOL. A three wheel drive utility would be awsome, and I hope I get to that project before anyone else does. lol

freeze_sucka
10-04-2006, 09:14 PM
i was thinkin about this a couple monthes ago. i was gonna do it with my 125m. i thought about welding a braket on my forks to hold a lawn mower engine with a centrifical clutch. u would hafta run 2 motors and the front one wouldnt pull that good but it would still be pretty cool. i was gonna use it in the mud.

Louis Mielke
10-04-2006, 09:15 PM
2 engines not required either but good idea.

triker111
10-04-2006, 09:15 PM
i agree think outside the box.

xljimmy
10-04-2006, 09:16 PM
hydraulics would be the answer. Heavy but would work for steering and drive. The no weight on front tire thing only works when driver weight isnt up front.

Louis Mielke
10-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I would go with a honda 50 engine mounted up on the forks IF i was gonna do it that waym you could feed it fuel from the tank and use a throttle cable splitter to work both engines at the same time, you'd just hafta work out the timing. Not a bad idea at all actaully. i'd still do it another way though.

triker111
10-04-2006, 09:21 PM
hmm the 2 engine idea is starting to sound pretty good

Louis Mielke
10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
the engine mounted on the forks would also put some additional weight upon the front end.

Vealmonkey
10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
If you are talking about the rokon dirt bike, the front end is chain driven, but it has a type of worm gear drive that lets the front end turn while the chain is under power, it is full time 2 wheel drive. The wheels are hollow steel/aluminum and can carry fuel or water is need be.

Louis Mielke
10-04-2006, 09:26 PM
No worm gears required either. And yamaha made a dirt bike that was 2 wheel drive only a couple years ago.

Those rokons are pretty cool though, they were considered more a mini-bike than a dirt bike.

freeze_sucka
10-04-2006, 09:27 PM
it would add weight but i was gonna do it that way b/c its seems like the cheapest way. i got the motor to do it. its a honda 5.5. it came off a pressure washer.

Louis Mielke
10-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Definatly the cheapest way to do it.

triker111
10-04-2006, 09:32 PM
the only other way i could come up with was the bikes motor turns a gearbox in the rear with a 2 way split one for the rear wheels then the other drive shaft powers the front.

xljimmy
10-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I dont know if it would work but??? Get two identical hydraulic motors and run one to rear axle and other to front, plumb them together and it seems that the rear axle would turn the motor which should pump fluid to the front motor. Seems to easy though so might not work.

triker111
10-04-2006, 09:49 PM
i guess You cant have to many parts though, to many things to go wrong.

Unclediezel
10-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Sketchy on the details, But think about a shaft driven yammy --Backwards?

3bogger
10-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I dont know if it would work but??? Get two identical hydraulic motors and run one to rear axle and other to front, plumb them together and it seems that the rear axle would turn the motor which should pump fluid to the front motor. Seems to easy though so might not work.

i like this idea:w00t:

bigred1981
10-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeaa I was thinkin of the Rokon bike also. I remember seeing those in Dirt Bike Mag a few years back... I've never actually saw a real, live one.

singlespiderman
10-04-2006, 11:50 PM
I've given this much thought. It can be done using a 4WD shaft driven power trane. Using the front shaft to connect to a box at forks. Then come down forks with shaft with long yoke to allow shocks to be functional too. Rear could be shaft as well.
You may have given me a good idea to put this polaris 500HO engine and tranny to good use.:TrikesOwn Almost anything can be done. You just want to WANT to do it.

hrc85250r
10-05-2006, 12:12 AM
yamaha built a yzf426 i think it was with a hydraulic front wheel drive....but anyways, you guys are crazy, think SIMPLE! take a rokon and put an axle on the back, its chain drive in the back! DONE!

wolfspider
10-05-2006, 03:39 AM
yes yamaha made a 426 or 450 2 wheel drive which has already won some desert races, they also made a 2 wheel drive R1 superbike which was apparently awesome in wet conditions, i think they made it with ohlins (who they own i think).
i also had a look on the net and found this modified crf250, check it out.
http://www.christini.com/news-press-10192005.php?id=m
looks like they make a universal kit, maybe someone could use it on a trike.
steve.

Teeksoffroad
10-05-2006, 06:42 AM
Each day the topics get even more dumb on this site. There should be a minimum age to log on. Buy a 4x4 quad !!

Howard
10-05-2006, 07:35 AM
here is some video and pictures of 2wd motorcycle

http://www.christini.com/motorcycle/resources-photo-m.php

mcbain
10-05-2006, 09:38 AM
there's a much easier way...
you don't need the 3rd wheel engaged all the time, just when you really want it.
use a strong electric motor, like a starter motor, or a smaller one will work if its geared well (like a winch).
i rigged one up with a 12volt motor from a drill. it turned the wheel, but wasn't enough power. the starter motor would for sure do it though. an added plus would be if you switch the polarity, you've got yourself reverse then too.
should be a competition to see who can get the first real prototype working here!

SYKO
10-05-2006, 10:52 AM
tha bike was SICK!!

random-strike
10-05-2006, 04:46 PM
it would add weight but i was gonna do it that way b/c its seems like the cheapest way. i got the motor to do it. its a honda 5.5. it came off a pressure washer.

a 5.5hp motor like that would have a hard time even spinning the front wheel over unless you had some narly gear reduction.

TtownJoeShow
10-05-2006, 06:08 PM
HA!!! I bet you'd say that about a 2 wheel drive dirtbike too. and it HAS BEEN DONE! (WITHOUT A CHAIN I MIGHT ADD)LOL. A three wheel drive utility would be awsome, and I hope I get to that project before anyone else does. lol

I Second THAT! it was in 98 or something like that! YZ wasnt it? i probly have the magazine here somewhere!

Louis Mielke
10-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Each day the topics get even more dumb on this site. There should be a minimum age to log on. Buy a 4x4 quad !!

The lamers get more assinine everyday. Hey you don't like the thread then dont be a post whore and reply to it. This is not dumb. This is how the light blub and a million other things were invented. You know this comment just really boils my blood. Makes me wanna boot stomp someone in the face.

Unclediezel
10-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Ok Louis ...Calm down.....

If the guy wants to sit in his hut during the winter and rub sticks together, while the rest of us click on the thernostat, Let him....:lol: :lol: Boot stompin someone with that narrow of a mind is pointless.

By the way teeks .... I;ll bet they laughed at the Japanese guy who added an extra wheel to a motorcycle too huh? Or do ya just have so much of Daddy's money that you can go out and buy a 4x4 Quad without thinking about it?----Get real..... A mod is a mod, Some work, some dont , but pursuing the Idea is what makes it a success instead of a failure.

Teeksoffroad
10-05-2006, 06:29 PM
The light bulb was invented by an intellgent person not a bunch of idiots talking about something not needed. You replied so much to this thread then come on and build it genious ! You may sell almost as many as lightbulbs. Can't wait for all the goofballs to jump in on this. Wow, look at me. I'm a rebel I ride a 3 wheeler.

Rm250RF900R
10-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Dude shut up. I would love to see this idea work. Get rid of your negativity. Negativity doesnt go very far in life.

triker111
10-05-2006, 06:44 PM
This is your typical 3 wheeler hater! i personally have had quads before and simply prefer atcs so go post your own dam thread.

Teeksoffroad
10-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Three wheeler hater ??? I wouldn't collect Honda Atc's if I hated them. Been riding a 3 wheeler for over 20 yrs. Don't like quads. Just don't want to see someone butcher a couple up for a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**E dited* idea then have them sit in the back yard for years rusting away. This is all kid's talk. No one here who responded is going to build it so why talk about it.

RedRider_AK
10-05-2006, 08:47 PM

Didn't the Rokon Trailbreaker have a chain from the top of the forks down to the wheel?

Rm250RF900R
10-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Three wheeler hater ??? I wouldn't collect Honda Atc's if I hated them. Been riding a 3 wheeler for over 20 yrs. Don't like quads. Just don't want to see someone butcher a couple up for a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**E dited* idea then have them sit in the back yard for years rusting away. This is all kid's talk. No one here who responded is going to build it so why talk about it.

Well, as you know, the people on this website are 3wheeler junkies. So, If the idea doesnt work, I doubt the 3wheeler will be sitting in the backyard long enough to "rust away".

xljimmy
10-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Why invent a horseless carriage when you can ride a horse. I bet some old man genius with nothing else better to do said that once.

If anybody thinks they can do it give it a whirl. That negative responds kinda makes me wonder how that guy was raised. I was always told "If you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all".

Dont let it bother anybody and ignore it.

Thats my 2 cents Im done and feel better!!!

OldSchoolin86
10-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Yup, damn those youth for having creative minds. If they can't get it right the first time don't even bother posting.:rolleyes:

gravelord
10-05-2006, 11:09 PM
anyone who wants to talk *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* about trikes, should go up against one of the 250R riders here with their lawn mower - ERM quad.... OR get off the effin forums, and goto their EX rider forums instead. eat roosted cow ** Don't type around the word filter **!!!!

Louis Mielke
10-05-2006, 11:37 PM

Kids talk eh? Whatever dude. I have alot of irons in the fire, but mark my words I'll build it one of these days and then I'll ride it up the backbone at haspin. I've converted a CR500 to a trike, did it MY way, with MY hands, with MY dumb ideas that started out as just KIDS TALK. Don't you dare go on about what people will only talk about but never do, I got the brains, balls, and if I have to I'll get the cash to do anything I put my mind to and I will not sit by and listen to ANYONE put down someone elses ideas, or dreams. There are some KIDS on this board who've taken fabrication well beyond what most OLD FARTS THAT SQUASH DREAMS have even thought about.

I'm 24, and you know what? There's someone on this board who's taken ideas and dreams and fabrication way father than I've had the opportunity to and he's even younger. Thats right Billy, only 19 as far as I know, has some of the most custom, trick threewheelers even crafted and he's put them together himself. I almost garentee there's someone even younger on the board who's done some awsome work but I'm not familar with everyones age.

I don't wanna hear your crap about Kids talk and things never comming to frutation. Thats a load of *deleted explative*

firefirefire90
10-06-2006, 12:25 AM
A threewheeler having a "3-wheel drive" system seems pretty cool....but unpractical. I mean to think about it, that 5.5 motor is a high revving motor with probably no low end torque. Its built to be high reving, sort of like a chainsaw motor, no? Also, if you say, put a honda 90 motor up front, the weight would make the three wheeler equivilent in weight to a quad..which would be dumb. If there was some way to link the original motor to the front end without a chain would be awesome. I'm not to sure if the system would be a whole lot greater for the bike but i would guess you would have to substantially gear down the bike so the rear wheels do not go faster than the front wheel does. I think it would be cool...just useless. Thinking of all the ways possible for it to be, I think a trike would be better off without it.

dizasterzrfun69
10-06-2006, 12:30 AM
an engine on the front is very unpractical in my eyes. too big, bulky, just seems like a pain in the arse. now i can see hydraulic working out or maybe some sort of magnets?!? dont temp louis, he WILL do it lol

farmerc
10-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Louis just build it and go up the backbone with it and show everyone up. I think that it a good idea with some serious fabrication anything can be built.I can't wait to see this machine come to life. It will be one of a kind all your own,no one else will have one!!!

ATC-Eric
10-06-2006, 12:37 AM
If I were to do this, I would copy the style of the 2WD dirtbike. Gotta be about the same principle to run a shaft system through the forks on a trike. Would take a lot of fab work though.....

I really like the idea of an AWD Trike! :w00t:

threewheelin-feelin
10-06-2006, 01:34 AM
this is a good topic...it was discussed in the past and some body post a picture of a 3wheeler or a dirtbike i cant remember wich....but if i remember correctly it had a drive shaft that ran to the top of the forks that connected to a gear box and turned a sproket and chain that turned another sproket at the wheel.....looked like it would have worked very well....im gonna see if i can find the picture