PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z 250f...

Derrick Adams
10-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Here lately I can't seem to get another TRI-Z out of my head. I really like the fit of the Z over the R for me.

Thing is I really would like to build one with a YZ426 engine. A nice big 4-stroke for running short course MX next year. Of course all the other downfalls of the bike would have to be addressed.

(1) Footpeg failures
(2) Rear swingarm/ shock mounts
(3) Puny front forks
(4) Puny single piston brakes
(5) Non conventional fuel tank

Basically, this would be a total custom using just the Z frame and plastics.

What do you guys think?

BigGreenMachine
10-03-2006, 09:34 PM
I think you should convert the bike to a trike but the trike with bike motor does sound good. Would the top mount tank be large enuff to run a full length mx race?

MTS
10-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Drop the 426, It was a junk Motor......Valve eater galor!!!.......

Bryan Raffa
10-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Here lately I can't seem to get another TRI-Z out of my head. I really like the fit of the Z over the R for me.

Thing is I really would like to build one with a YZ426 engine. A nice big 4-stroke for running short course MX next year. Of course all the other downfalls of the bike would have to be addressed.

(1) Footpeg failures
(2) Rear swingarm/ shock mounts
(3) Puny front forks
(4) Puny single piston brakes
(5) Non conventional fuel tank

Basically, this would be a total custom using just the Z frame and plastics.

What do you guys think?

1 geen boy footpegs
2 86 r forks with the r cailper duel piston and 10'' rim
3 top mount tank costom made

the swinger would be the work...miltec maybe....
sounds like a awsome idea!!!!!!!! when ya startin????:naughty: :naughty:

Billy Golightly
10-03-2006, 09:40 PM
I know the answer to the front end ;)

I wouldn't use the bike frame, they just are not designed right for use as a trike. I dunno about the 426 motor though...I think thats gonna be hard to fit in the Z frame without doing alot of cutting. Particularly with how high up the carb and air intake tract is gonna have to mount in the frame. I had this problem with the old 500x and it was a mess to say the least...

Bryan Raffa
10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
ha ha ha billy ya ya ya thats the set up!!!!!!

BigGreenMachine
10-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Use a 86/87 Tecate front end.

Derrick Adams
10-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Sorry guys, but they never made a 3 wheeler front end strong enough to hold up. The forks flex way too much. Even in the small stuff. Bigger is better!

ovhonda1
10-04-2006, 01:07 PM
what are geen boy footpegs?

Bryan Raffa
10-04-2006, 01:28 PM
billy want to show OV a pic......

Kintore
10-04-2006, 02:56 PM
I gots a pic here, check em out, Hagen aka Greenboy makes them.

Derrick, I really like that idea alot. How about I give you my Z and a few grand I get casper :)

I remember when we talked about this, id just be worried bout the pegs to be honest. And hope the solid construction doesnt get to many vibes.

Dusty
10-04-2006, 02:59 PM
wow i wanna a set of them.......how much does he charge...and how can i get ahold of him....oh and not to get off subject or steal the tread but josh when can i come up there and ride........

ATC-Eric
10-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I talked to Hagen about those pegs a little bit ago, probably just easier to post our conversation......

The pegs in the pic are for a Tri-Z , Billy (HondaATC) is using the prototypes on his bike and the second set is prepared for a 86 Tecate in NY state.
They also turned out the be very expensive so I decided to offer just the pegs without mounting plates on eBay soon. So everybody can use them on any 3wheeler with selfmade mounting plates.
The main pegs will be on eBay in about 3-4 weeks,
still quite pricey with about 170$ (pair) + shipping.

At the moment everything is pretty expensive due to the dollar exchange rate and the very high prices for stainless steel and aluminum.

Pretty pricey, buy I'd pick up a set if I wasnt in the middle of something.

Bryan Raffa
10-04-2006, 04:21 PM

Derrick, I really like that idea alot. How about I give you my Z and a few grand I get casper :)

I remember when we talked about this, id just be worried bout the pegs to be honest. And hope the solid construction doesnt get to many vibes.

whos eating frutey pebbles and smokeing!!!!LOL

maggiesboy
10-04-2006, 06:14 PM

I got a set of IMS Roll design pegs for an 88' TRX250R and we are machining 1/16" off the pivot point, they will drop in using stock hinge pins from the TRI-Z

BigGreenMachine
10-04-2006, 06:32 PM
So is this project a go?

ovhonda1
10-04-2006, 06:46 PM
have you done this with the IMS pegs yet? I would love to see a pic if they are finished. I may do the same or talk to greenboy for some of his.

Billy Golightly
10-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I cut the mounts off of my old Z peg plates and made new ones to fit the IMS trx250r pegs, but it didn't work out so hot. It still twisted the peg plate bad, probably wose then the stock ones because the IMS pegs are longer and it made more leverage on them. They ended up bending pretty worse then the stock ones :(

Louis Mielke
10-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Hence why Hagens special pegs are a better design. too bad it sounds like they'll never go main stream.

Derrick Adams
10-04-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm not convinced those won't bend either. Only time will tell.

This project is not a "GO" yet. Just in the thought process phase. I'm kind of leaning toward a YZ250F motor now. I think it may be a better choice for a 3 wheeler. I see that they offer a 290 kit for a reasonable price. The thinking is to add just the right amount of torque as to not make the bike unridable.

Still researching...

Bigbore
10-04-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm not convinced those won't bend either. Only time will tell.

This project is not a "GO" yet. Just in the thought process phase. I'm kind of leaning toward a YZ250F motor now. I think it may be a better choice for a 3 wheeler. I see that they offer a 290 kit for a reasonable price. The thinking is to add just the right amount of torque as to not make the bike unridable.

Still researching...

YZ250F... Four stoke?

maggiesboy
10-04-2006, 11:20 PM
I cut the mounts off of my old Z peg plates and made new ones to fit the IMS trx250r pegs, but it didn't work out so hot. It still twisted the peg plate bad, probably wose then the stock ones because the IMS pegs are longer and it made more leverage on them. They ended up bending pretty worse then the stock ones :(

no shat?

I guess it is better to know before I cut them..... I'm a phat arse too... prolly bend like a tortillia.... Thanks Billy!

Billy Golightly
10-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Yeah...it sucked cause I spent alot of time making the Z plates accept the 250R pegs but it just didn't work out like I had planned.

Derrick Adams
10-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Doing a little more research on this. It seems the 2001-up YZF 250's made around 32hp. With bolt-ons 35hp. A stock YFZ450 is rated at 38. Between the 290 big bore kits and the cams, etc for these 250's I'd say the potential is there to make good power.

The question is how much torque do they make compared to say a 250cc 2-stroke. Obviously the 400-426-450 series makes so much torque it's impractical on a 3-wheeler. Time for some math. Need to calculate power to weight ratios for both a stock YFZ and YZ250F in a hypothetical 3 wheeler chassis.

If the 250cc 4 strokes are now capable of making the power of the old 250cc 2-strokes, yet gaining torque that may be just the ticket!

Phase one of engine selection is almost complete. 90% sure of the YZ250F.

Mike_Ham_250R
10-05-2006, 10:08 PM
*Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, I had that idea of a 250f trike so long ago. Just could never build it. Looks like someone is gonna beat me to it.

200xcellent
10-07-2006, 12:27 PM
*Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, I had that idea of a 250f trike so long ago. Just could never build it. Looks like someone is gonna beat me to it.

mmmmmk, we know where to go for new ideas now:welcome: