PDA

View Full Version : Need Help-HI/LOW ATC 110

bigreddaddy
10-03-2006, 06:41 PM
I finally got the 110 running earlier by pulling it with my 4 wheeler. It cranked up twice out of about 10 tries.
The first time it cranked it sounded good, no smoke but it acted like the clutch was slipping, then died a minute or so later. It took several more tries with choke on and off and cranked again. This time my bro got it in neutral (I was pulling). It idled real good for a couple of minutes then died again before I could reach the choke. I had cleaned the carb earlier but it was surprisingly very clean, jets, etc.

Here is the main problem. It will only shift DOWN when in the LOW setting. When put it HIGH it only shifts into one gear and it a pain getting it back in neutral.
Could the clutch just need adjusting or does it sound like a major tranny problem?
I am trying to get this 110 running for my little boy.
I really don't care about HIGH gear, but I don't understand the shift pattern where neutral is all the way UP, and you shift DOWN. I thought the pattern for the 110 was 1st down, up one neutral, rest up, just like a bike.
By the way this is a 1980 model.

crackshot
10-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Is it fully engaging from high to low?

bigreddaddy
10-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I think so. When I go to shift the HI/LOW shifter, a few times it would only move a little, but after rocking it it would move all the way.

Howdy
10-03-2006, 06:51 PM
The hi/lo shouldn't have much if anything to do with the normal shifting. I highly suspect you have a broken stopper pawl ( common problem on these ). Do a search of the forums for stopper pawl and you should find the many threads already posted about it.
Howdy

bigreddaddy
10-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Great info Howdy. And thanks to other guys too. After doing the search for the pawl it seems like thats probably what it is.
I'll get in there and take a look when I can and post back.
Thanks again.

BigRedDaddy

bigreddaddy
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
By the way, I just really noticed that this 110 I have has the front wheel extended. There are extentions on the forks. Are these common?
Here's a pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/redstickwholesalers/honda110.jpg

bigreddaddy
10-03-2006, 11:46 PM
The hi/lo shouldn't have much if anything to do with the normal shifting. I highly suspect you have a broken stopper pawl ( common problem on these ). Do a search of the forums for stopper pawl and you should find the many threads already posted about it.
Howdy

Howdy,

On your other post that I read on this subject, you stated to take off the RIGHT SIDE engine cover. Is this correct, OR is it the SHIFTER/LEFT side cover that I need to take off?

Howdy
10-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Howdy,

On your other post that I read on this subject, you stated to take off the RIGHT SIDE engine cover. Is this correct, OR is it the SHIFTER/LEFT side cover that I need to take off?

It is the right side that needs to be removed. My other post is correct.
Howdy

bigreddaddy
10-04-2006, 10:35 AM
I looked at the cover this morning and it is held on with damn phillips screws! Why did they do that! Someone has already stripped one of the screws. Man this really sucks. I guess I'm going to have to go buy one of those tools that you can pound on with a hammer and it turns while while it is being hit.
I thought it might have been a previous owner messing with it and put screws in it, but there are also phillip screws below the cover on the engine half.
I can't believe they didn't use regular bolts. Dammit!

bigreddaddy
10-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Howdy,

Can you please tell me what you used to break loose these 20 plus year old phillip head screws that hold on the gear case?
I've tried flat bits tapped in with a hammer, phillips, all with different drivers and am not getting it done.
Would an impact wrench do the job? I don't want to strip them all out and have to shave the heads off because then I won't be able to get the damn cover back on.
Man I'm really pissed that they would use phillips heads on these covers.

SYKO
10-05-2006, 11:26 AM
you need to get a high quility reverse drill bit, In most cases it isnt frozen on the threads, it has been over tightend to the side case, when you drill it out it will finally relaease and back the whole bolt out, I have doen this a bunch of times on verious machines with great luck, I dotn use reverse easy outs they suck, jsut a really good reverse drill bit that is about the same diameter as the actuall bolt itself(not the head, the threaded part) good luck! and if you use a hammer on anything you could damage your cases

darrel632
10-05-2006, 11:28 AM
If some one has run screws into your cases instead of machine bolts, you have to use any method possible to break them loose you can find - shaving screw heads and then removing studs with vice grips may be your only option. Sears has a screw remover that you can buy which may work, you may also find that every bolt hole has been stressed when you get it apart if you are to rough on the removal ( if they wern't stressed from the fool whom put it in in the first place)

bigreddaddy
10-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. Actually I found in the Factory manual it shows these phillip head screws. It even says to use an impact or something to get them out. When I used the hammer, I just lightly tapped a flathead bit in to get it snug and tried to break it loose but of course that didn't work.
These damn phillip screws aren't just on the cover, but on the engine half too. What the hell were they thinking?

bigreddaddy
10-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Well we finally got the those damn screws out. We drilled them then used a torx bit tapped in to get them out.

Howdy, the pawl looks good and the bolt isn't loose. I think its going to be the clutch. When we pulled the cover off and a spring for the clutch was just barely in there, real loose. I guess someone did a clutch job and didn't do something right. I don't no. I'm going to go through the manual and check it out. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

Now, where can I find a new cover gasket?

darrel632
10-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda dealer or bikebandit

bigreddaddy
10-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks Darrel. Thats a great site.